Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Mark Schiefele signs extension with the Jets (7 years, $8.5M)

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
no that wouldn't be concerning for me. just challenging the incredibly low bar for PPG being put out by fans here. there's literally thousands of players to add to the PPG list if we use the logic in this thread.
and you have no problem calling out Scheifele not a PPG player today because he wasn’t a PPG player in his “first year” where he only played 7 games? That was your response to me pointing out 6 of his last 7 most recent seasons where he has been a PPG player? This is what you call logic? Take a lap.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
6 of his 12 seasons have been a ppg, that's not a ppg player and it's generous to call him one when he couldn't keep up his stint of ppg seasons last year. still a good player, not close enough to ppg in his career to just pretend i'm referring to the "down year" that you want to discount here

So your "argument" is that he wasn't a point per game player as an 18 year old on a 7 game trial?

Scheifele has been point per game player since the day 8 years ago when he was promoted to the #1C job due to an injury to Brian Little

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Winnipeg made the playoffs and Dahlin has yet to in his generational career. When did scoring points be the only thing that mattered in talent evaluation?
Wait so now we've pivoted to "his team made the playoffs?" The same exact thing people said about Eichel lol?

I forgot Dahlin is responsible for the performance of the forwards, goalies, and coaches.

Scoring points is a huge part of contract value. You need to score to be worth that much money.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Villardi is starting the season on the wing with Connor and Scheifele. Opening night roster for the Jets still looks really deep

Connor - Scheifele - Villardi
Ehlers - Perfetti - Niederreiter
Iafallo - Lowry - Appleton
Barron - Kupari - Namestnikov
I thought Kupari was beyond awful

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
and you have no problem calling out Scheifele not a PPG player today because he wasn’t a PPG player in his “first year” where he only played 7 games? That was your response to me pointing out 6 of his last 7 most recent seasons where he has been a PPG player? This is what you call logic? Take a lap.
The guy has 645 pts in 723 games................pretty darn close.
When you look even closer, the last 6-7 seasons he has been a PPG guy.
The Jets had to pay him, and Helly to stay.......and the deals are very reasonable for both the team and player.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
"It was just a down year" me when I've never seen an aging chart.

Like its definitely a possibility that he has started his offensive decline now that his age starts with a 3. And he never had any defensive game to begin with. Despite being a skater compared to a goalie, this feels far riskier than the Hellebuyck deal imo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Really?

How’s that gone?
Same as 30 other teams last year, 29 teams over the past two years, etc... hopefully you get the point

That includes teams that sucked for decades and still didn't win jack shit

Maybe ask the Oilers and leafs how winning the draft lottery has gone for them. Same outcome as the Jets if you only gauge success as cup wins

The roster as it's constructed has a good chance of winning most nights over the next 82 games. That's what jets management is striving for

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Same as 30 other teams last year, 29 teams over the past two years, etc... hopefully you get the point

That includes teams that sucked for decades and still didn't win jack shit

Maybe ask the Oilers and leafs how winning the draft lottery has gone for them. Same outcome as the Jets if you only gauge success as cup wins

The roster as it's constructed has a good chance of winning most nights over the next 82 games. That's what jets management is striving for

Winnipeg doesnt care about the Cup.

Their only goal is just to be good enough to be in playoff hunt, they’ve shown that with all their moves.

They’ve been a complete mess the last couple of years and nothing has changed.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Their only goal is just to be good enough to be in playoff hunt, they’ve shown that with all their moves.

A complete mess would be Ballard's Leafs in the 80s or the Blackhawks 20 years ago

Things didn't quite go as planned for the Jets but a lot of it (Little's injury, Buff retiring, etc) was out of their control. It's not easy to just replace a 2C and 1D at the drop of a hat

Looks like they have things the way they want them... the malcontents are gone, everyone is happy to be Jets and if you go by what was said yesterday, the room is tight and everyone is pulling in the same direction

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Not sure I understand what your getting at here - if they traded away their 1c and Vezina goalie would you then see them as being serious about the cup?

Seems kind of backwards to me

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think there's a business aspect to this. Rebuilds in small markets take a long time. Buffalo, Ottawa. Edmonton was languishing before they got 2 Hall of Famers in the draft. Even other Canadian markets like Vancouver struggle to get back to the playoffs once they're out.

There's a good chance that, even if they had sold Dubois for futures, and sold Scheifele and Hellebuyck for futures, it would still take 7+ years before the team even sniffed the playoffs again. When you can't speed up the process by a couple of years by signing some good pieces in free agency to augment what you're building, it takes a lot of luck or a lot of time.

Even this current group, including the time in Atlanta - the team went from 2007 to 2015 with one playoff appearance, getting swept by the Ducks in 2015. By the time the team was competitive, it had been 10 years since the team last looked decent, when they won the SE and lost in 4 straight.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Value isn’t bad at all, but i don’t get why Jets would want to commit to this core. It’s clearly not a core you win with.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I actually think the Jets future is bright. You have a Vezina calibre goalie, one of the best and most underrated #1 defenseman in Josh Morrissey, a very good coach who has taken a team to the cup final just a few years ago and a deep group of young forwards.

If they could add another top 4 dman and a bit more grit in the bottom 6, I think they could surprise people in the playoffs.
They definitely need a guy on the backend they've been hurting for Byfuglien since he ghosted them. Perfetti looks like a stud and they did well with PLD all things considered but I'm not super high on them and don't think this was the right direction to take. I think with Scheifele in particular it would have been smarter to move on

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Could somebody please correct Mark's last name in the thread topic for the love of all forum goers worldwide.

(Schiefele -> Scheifele)

Thank you.
Oh can you get them to check the contract t0o just in case he's not really signed and we wasted 10 pages of bandwidth k thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad