Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Mark Schiefele signs extension with the Jets (7 years, $8.5M)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No idea why people are ripping on this. What do you think a low end 1C is worth?

Like he's straight up better than Dubois and they paid assets to give him that contract. But that was alright because he's younger I guess? Oh no, he might be overpaid in 6 years when the cap has gone up 40% and 3Cs are making 7 million.

Winnipeg is also likely the least lest desirable UFA destination so their chances at adding very good players in free agency are slim. They kind of have to keep the guys they have, its a plus for them that both Schief & Hellebucyk didn't care to chase dollars elsewhere. Keeping your best players as a small market team is key.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Please watch Dahlin on the ice the last 5 years and tell me he is worth $11M, there is no need for drugs to have that assessment.

Nope, just rampant Finnish/Dallas homerism. Funny that you took your hilariously bad Dahlin takes to this thread and not the Dahlin thread. Wonder why that is :huh:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Possibly. That's all ownership wants. Make profit. I do think this team is better than last year and biased in saying they aren't far away from being great.

Of course they are fine with that. There's a reason why every team doesn't want to tank. Even if you manage to suck for a year and not have a winning streak that screws you, then you happen to actually win the lottery, it's still a giant roll of the dice to get a McDavid. For every Chicago there's a Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo, ect. Edmonton just sucked for so low they are both haha.

You going to intentionally make your team worse for five years so you can get a Larkin or Keller? How about all the development you screwed up by icing and intentionally bad team? It's not just bad luck all these bad teams can't develop. What do you think is going to happen when you put kids over their heads and tell them you don't care if we lose.

Actually play hockey and use your luck trying to develop a 1st or 2nd rounder into a player. That's how you stay good.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Little known fact:

Non jet fans critiquing these signings would be the exact same non jet fans laughing and stating players do not want to stay in Winnipeg, had they ended up signing with another team.

8.5m for a top 3 goalie in the league and for a point per game player is solid, but better than
that, players do want to play in Winnipeg, some dedicating their entire careers to this market.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
steal to keep one of the top goalies in the league. he'll probably be a top goalie for at least half of the contract too.

the schiefele deal isn't bad, but it is long. if the cap rises, there'll be less complaining than people are leading off with

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Little known fact:

Non jet fans critiquing these signings would be the exact same non jet fans laughing and stating players do not want to stay in Winnipeg, had they ended up signing with another team.

8.5m for a top 3 goalie in the league and for a point per game player is solid, but better than
that, players do want to play in Winnipeg, some dedicating their entire careers to this market.
that is a very generous description for a player who has scored at 0.89 ppg for his career and scored 0.84 ppg last season. sure, he did score a ppg or over from 2016-2022, but i don't think that makes him a ppg player all around when his career ppg is that low.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
that is a very generous description for a player who has scored at 0.89 ppg for his career and scored 0.84 ppg last season. sure, he did score a ppg or over from 2016-2022, but i don't think that makes him a ppg player all around when his career ppg is that low.

So he was a ppg for 6 years and his off year he scored over 40.

What a plug. Like he's 17th in scoring since 2016. 8th for centers

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
6 of the last 7 years he’s been a PPG. His “down year“ he scored 42 goals. Take a lap bud.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
It seems like a lot of money but...

On the other hand if a good player wants to stay in Winnipeg long term and be part of the solution going forward I think you do that if you're the Jets. With the cap going up there's good chance this looks good for the next few years at least.

If he can be a good veteran on that team and help younger guys in later years it will be worth it.
Does that mean there is hope for the Couturier contract?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I can see it as a negative, but I see it as a positive.

Hellebuyck looked like he'd leave and change his mind and signed for market value, maybe a little less.

I could see Schiefele getting more on the open market than what he got.

So, the Jets got to keep 2 of their big time pending UFAs and at a fair, or below market price.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
6 of the last 7 years he’s been a PPG. His “down year“ he scored 42 goals. Take a lap bud.
6 of his 12 seasons have been a ppg, that's not a ppg player and it's generous to call him one when he couldn't keep up his stint of ppg seasons last year. still a good player, not close enough to ppg in his career to just pretend i'm referring to the "down year" that you want to discount here

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
6 of his 12 seasons have been a ppg, that's not a ppg player and it's generous to call him one when he couldn't keep up his stint of ppg seasons last year. still a good player, not close enough to ppg in his career to just pretend i'm referring to the "down year" that you want to discount here
LMAO, you are concerned he is going to revert to 2011 Schiefele? Take a lap.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Little known fact:

Exactly. These two obviously want to stay and they also have talent. Jets get better by this 'addition' and better by the 'subtraction' of PLD and Wheeler. Jets look deeper in the forward department than they have in years and maybe the dressing room is better now as well. Fingers crossed on that last one.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
LMAO, you are concerned he is going to revert to 2011 Schiefele? Take a lap.
no that wouldn't be concerning for me. just challenging the incredibly low bar for PPG being put out by fans here. there's literally thousands of players to add to the PPG list if we use the logic in this thread.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Seems like pretty standard market value for what he brings to their lineup today. That can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I just hate how the NHL hands out these long term deals to 30 and 30+ year olds like it's nothing. He'll be 31 when this contract kicks in and no chance he'll be worth it for the total length. They'll be lucky to get 4 years of value out of him. In 4 years time Jets fans will be here talking about how they have a 3rd liner making $8.5 a season with 4 years left.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
no that wouldn't be concerning for me. just challenging the incredibly low bar for PPG being put out by fans here. there's literally thousands of players to add to the PPG list if we use the logic in this thread.
And by your logic there's McDavid all by himself

Yes most people will say someone is a ppg player when he's done so for six f***ing years

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
And by your logic there's McDavid all by himself

Yes most people will say someone is a ppg player when he's done so for six f***ing years
no, anyone with a career ppg rate qualifies, so plenty of players deserve that title. schiefele does not as he's at 0.89 for his career. did he produce at a ppg rate for six years? yup. could he do it again? yup, will he ever be a ppg player for his career? probably not.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
no, anyone with a career ppg rate qualifies, so plenty of players deserve that title. schiefele does not as he's at 0.89 for his career. did he produce at a ppg rate for six years? yup. could he do it again? yup, will he ever be a ppg player for his career? probably not.
So there's only been like 60 ppg players in the last 50 years then.

Makar's in, Tkachuk and Peterson are out haha. From 2010 to 2016 only 4 players were ppg.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad