Claimed off Waivers: [WPG] Anton Forsberg claimed off waivers by the Jets

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
We needed to find a 3rd goalie to cart around with us before the AHL started so Berdin can play there. He should never see the ice nor dress for a game unless there is a injury/COVID situation at the last moment. With any notice I would expect that they call up Berdin instead.

Jersey took Comrie from us so this is our replacement. Welcome to the Jets! You'll only be here 1 year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think the league should of thought out the whole taxi squad/waiver thing a bit better, especially with the goalies. Whole thing seems like a joke.

They only have to clear waivers once to join the taxi squad, no?

I don't see what the issue is.

Reactions: DaveG

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
478217904.jpg.0.jpg

"Hey Jimmy, how about $700k to be on the Oilers taxi squad?"

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We needed to find a 3rd goalie to cart around with us before the AHL started so Berdin can play there. He should never see the ice nor dress for a game unless there is a injury/COVID situation at the last moment. With any notice I would expect that they call up Berdin instead.

Jersey took Comrie from us so this is our replacement. Welcome to the Jets! You'll only be here 1 year.

This is exactly what we needed him in Edmonton for. Skinner isn't good in the AHL. He shouldn't be on our taxi squad, let alone potentially having to see NHL ice time.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
So are the Jets keeping him on the active roster? Cause they'd have to waive him again to join the taxi squad
Yes, the jets have several waiver exempt players on the active roster right now who are not in the lineup, they will just move one of them to the taxi squad.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
seems straight-forward to me, but some reckless GM activity has happened

It's not reckless - it was a smart move by Waddell to ensure he had the 3rd goalie role covered in case Ned got claimed. And really it was no harm to Forsberg - he didn't have to pack up his stuff or hop on a flight and he was at least on an NHL roster collecting an NHL salary for a day or two.

And quite honestly, we don't see the 3rd string goalie musical chairs going on had Crawford not suddenly retired on the eve of the season (and perhaps to a much lesser extent, Lundqvist's medical issue). Otherwise, NJ would've been all set at 2nd & 3rd string goalie and there would not have been the need for them to claim Comrie or for teams like Toronto and Carolina to worry about their guys making it through waivers.

So, I would assume that Edmonton also put in a waiver claim on Forsberg with the hope that if they were the only team they would be able to place him directly onto the taxi squad. Once the Jets also put in a waiver claim, Edmonton would've pulled their claim (since Edmonton had the higher waiver priority) as the Oilers presumably did not want to carry 3 goalies on their main roster - presumably for cap reasons.

Where does this leave Edmonton for a taxi squad goalie?

What happens now if the Jets were to try to waive Forsberg to get him on the taxi squad? Since Edmonton pulled their most recent waiver claim, I would assume they would no longer be able to claim him and send him directly to the taxi squad. Does anyone know if that's correct? Assuming that's the case (that there's no longer a team that can claim Forsberg off waivers from the Jets and place him directly on the taxi squad) you would think the Jets just waive him again to move him down as they'd have to feel pretty safe that no team is going to claim him and have to keep him on their main roster, right?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems a bit jerkish. It's good gamesmanship from Winnipeg since we need an NHL backup now that Smith is out, but it's also burying a player would have wanted the opportunity in the NHL

This is exactly what we needed him in Edmonton for. Skinner isn't good in the AHL. He shouldn't be on our taxi squad, let alone potentially having to see NHL ice time.
Well, in principle shouldnt everyone on the taxi squad be there for NHL replacement? Hopefully Skinner does okay. I always liked him. But it will likely be all Koski for a while

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
wasn't referring to Waddell,
but rather to any team which is suddenly caught with incomplete or noncompliant rosters
Gotcha. Which teams were caught with incomplete or noncompliant rosters? With the AHL haven't not yet started, teams should have goalies available even if they had a goalie unexpectedly claimed off waivers.

It's a bit of a tough situation, as carrying a 3rd goalie on the roster is not ideal for a lot of teams, particularly those close to the cap that are trying to build up cap space for the trade deadline.

Personally, I don't see how Toronto manages to keep Dell on the active roster all season...or even the next few weeks for that matter, but we'll see.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
before Waddell could trade him, he had to go back on waivers and Oilers also would have had a shot at the guy
that isnt correct.

Before they could trade him they had to offer him to any team that also made a claim, presumably noone. Then Carolina was free to trade him to whomever. Im sure the Jets offered nothing knowing DW was going to waive him anyways.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's not reckless - it was a smart move by Waddell to ensure he had the 3rd goalie role covered in case Ned got claimed. And really it was no harm to Forsberg - he didn't have to pack up his stuff or hop on a flight and he was at least on an NHL roster collecting an NHL salary for a day or two.

And quite honestly, we don't see the 3rd string goalie musical chairs going on had Crawford not suddenly retired on the eve of the season (and perhaps to a much lesser extent, Lundqvist's medical issue). Otherwise, NJ would've been all set at 2nd & 3rd string goalie and there would not have been the need for them to claim Comrie or for teams like Toronto and Carolina to worry about their guys making it through waivers.

So, I would assume that Edmonton also put in a waiver claim on Forsberg with the hope that if they were the only team they would be able to place him directly onto the taxi squad. Once the Jets also put in a waiver claim, Edmonton would've pulled their claim (since Edmonton had the higher waiver priority) as the Oilers presumably did not want to carry 3 goalies on their main roster - presumably for cap reasons.

Where does this leave Edmonton for a taxi squad goalie?

What happens now if the Jets were to try to waive Forsberg to get him on the taxi squad? Since Edmonton pulled their most recent waiver claim, I would assume they would no longer be able to claim him and send him directly to the taxi squad. Does anyone know if that's correct? Assuming that's the case (that there's no longer a team that can claim Forsberg off waivers from the Jets and place him directly on the taxi squad) you would think the Jets just waive him again to move him down as they'd have to feel pretty safe that no team is going to claim him and have to keep him on their main roster, right?

Winnipeg has the higher waiver priority. It goes by inverse record from last season right now.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad