Claimed off Waivers: [WPG] Anton Forsberg claimed off waivers by the Jets

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
that isnt correct.

Before they could trade him they had to offer him to any team that also made a claim, presumably noone. Then Carolina was free to trade him to whomever. Im sure the Jets offered nothing knowing DW was going to waive him anyways.

Yea. The "calls" Waddell made in regards to Forsberg were probably first to the Jets to let them know he was available and confirm that they'd take him on waivers, then he called Holland to let him know that Forsberg was going to be a Jet instead of an Oiler unless he sends over Yamahato+.

Reactions: Morrison

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Winnipeg has the higher waiver priority. It goes by inverse record from last season right now.
Ah, my bad - I thought Winnipeg finished higher last season for some reason.

In that case, then it appears the Jets have to keep him on the roster or the Oilers would be able to reclaim him and pass him straight through waivers if Winnipeg tries to waive him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's not reckless - it was a smart move by Waddell to ensure he had the 3rd goalie role covered in case Ned got claimed. And really it was no harm to Forsberg - he didn't have to pack up his stuff or hop on a flight and he was at least on an NHL roster collecting an NHL salary for a day or two.

In all likelihood the Canes were probably the only team that put in a claim on Forsberg. Knowing that, as well as the fact that the Oilers would likely re-claim him if they decided he wasn't needed after Ned cleared, they were nice enough to have him wait in Edmonton, so he could jump right back in with the team without any delays.

Then the Devils tossed a turd in the punchbowl by claiming a goalie from one of the few teams that thought it would be a good idea to enter the unpredictable, COVID protocol and 3 goalies at all time required season with only 4 goalies available to them.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I was gonna ask: should the Devils have claimed this guy or is he at the same level as Comrie?

Looks like Comrie had better AHL numbers on a worse team last season and is a few years younger, so didn't really make sense for NJ to put a claim in for Forsberg.

Now if the Maple Leafs are forced to waive Dell, I could see the Devils putting in a claim. Otherwise, they'll just ride Blackwood hard and Wedgewood/Comrie can duke it out for the odd spot start.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seems a bit jerkish. It's good gamesmanship from Winnipeg since we need an NHL backup now that Smith is out, but it's also burying a player would have wanted the opportunity in the NHL

Well, in principle shouldnt everyone on the taxi squad be there for NHL replacement? Hopefully Skinner does okay. I always liked him. But it will likely be all Koski for a while
In principle, yes. And in actuality, he was supposed to be our #4 goalie. He's not ready for backup duty.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems like Winnipeg scooped him from Edmonton which is a bit amusing
We'll probably waive him again at some point anyways.

Reactions: Morrison

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I’m confused why Edmonton didn’t just claim him back? Don’t they get first dibs because he was just taken from them?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
The guy have some potential What a waste ,he could pretty easy be a good back up in Edmonton i see him being a better option than Mike smith.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Disappointing from an Edmonton point of view but it's hard to be mad at either Carolina or Winnipeg for how this played out. Now it's up to Holland to find a creative way to deal with this situation.

Pretty easy to be mad at Carolina TBH. Preemptively claiming players off waivers because you think there's a chance the guy you put on waivers gets claimed it greasy. Especially when you waive him the next day. Nothing wrong with WPG claiming him though, they lost their G, needed a replacement and took the opportunity.

Being on 3 teams rosters in 2 days isn't the point of waivers/taxi squad. The amount of team changes we're going to see from players, especially goalies, this year because of moves like this, really isn't fair to the players. Particularly bouncing around and not knowing where you'll live in a covid world.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Anton "waiver" Forsberg

Taking poll on how many teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->