WPG 4 : LAK 3 - So... 2nd place? 2nd place is good, right?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Our records reflects a very good, (no - make that GREAT) OT record.

But like last year we couldn't win in OT/SO, this year we couldn't lose.

We are much more average than some of us think.

OT/SO records have no bearing on how the Kings will play in the playoffs. If there was continuous 5-on-5 OT in the regular season, I suspect the Kings would do well last year and this year as well because of their possession numbers.

I'd say it's a bit of both. Regulation wins/losses since 09-10:

09-10: 32-27
10-11: 35-30
11-12: 31-27
12-13: 24-16
13-14: 34-28
14-15: 37-27
15-16: 34-28

In 11-12, just 31 regulation wins during the regular season, but then they went up 3-0 in every series in the playoffs. In 12-13, they had a good differential, but then went 8-1 at home, and 1-8 on the road in the playoffs. Last year, the most wins in regulation since the team got good again, but nobody was really happy with how they played in terms of giving up goals in bunches and losing leads. In 13-14, the same record as this season, had the fewest goals against, then forgot how to play defense in Games 1 and 2 against the Sharks, and ultimately won the Cup because 4 or 5 guys were at or near a point per game.

All those OT wins this year stand out a bit, and 3v3 OT doesn't exist in the playoffs as standard play. In terms of win/loss differential in the normal 60 minute game, the Kings are closer to the middle than the top. On the other hand, regular season and playoff mentality are two different things. The regular season is a marathon, the playoffs a sprint.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
That was THE .....MOST.....DISGUSTING game of the year!!!!

Everything was on the line.....

The team showed up for 30 minutes, then left the building.....

No Division Championship, no Jennings Trophy, and no easy 1st round opponent.

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!

:rant::madfire::banghead::eviltongu:soap:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i don't think Nashville is an easy first round opponent...

but i'd still take Nashville over San Jose

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'm more embarrassed by the overreaction here than the play of the Kings.

For me, it's not the loss. It's not that we threw away 1st in the division. It's not blowing a lead. It's not that the Jets are a bottom team.

It's that this is like the 1000th blown lead this season.
The 82nd game has perfecty summed up the entire year, this was like pressing the replay button, like watching 81 games in 60 minutes. First you take a lead against a crap team, then you give up crap goals to that team and end up losing a game you cannot lose.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
That was THE .....MOST.....DISGUSTING game of the year!!!!

Everything was on the line.....

The team showed up for 30 minutes, then left the building.....

No Division Championship, no Jennings Trophy, and no easy 1st round opponent.

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!

:rant::madfire::banghead::eviltongu:soap:

I break out the Kings 5-0 rout of the Blackhawks on occasions like this.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm over it. It was also a 4 in 6 stretch with travel so it stands to reason that our energy dwindled. Our big guys having brain farts was the biggest problem and with a few days rest...hey, that may have been a wake up call for guys like Drew and Kopi. There are worst things.

Now imagine the Ducks tossing today's game in a shootout :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Nashville is scary. Sharks are motivated to beat LA.

Just win.

I figure it the Kings are good enough that they should overcome any opponent. That is how we'll know exactly what this team is made.

This lineup is quite different than the 2012 and 2014 teams, despite the core mostly remaining intact. I don't find them to be quite as physical as those teams and they seem to have a less experienced lineup due to the number of new faces who are in the lineup.

That's why I'm so uncertain with which Kings team we'll see come Thursday. While I'll never question the effort of these players, I think there are a number of kinks in their game that needs to be worked out.

When they're on their game they're tough to beat, but when they're off their game they become their own worst enemy.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree and think we'll be a hard out no matter what.

I feel more like the 2013 Kings than the other versions though. New faces and inexperience = brain farts, and our big question is defensive depth.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I agree and think we'll be a hard out no matter what.

I feel more like the 2013 Kings than the other versions though. New faces and inexperience = brain farts, and our big question is defensive depth.

There's definitely a similar vibe with the 2013 team. I didn't think that team stood much of a chance against Chicago, was never too concerned with the Blues or Sharks that year. Though I think this year a matchup against Chicago could go either way as opposed to 2013.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The only central team this year that concerns me is Nashville, and that's only because of Quick's abysmal record vs. them. The Sharks and Ducks are much more of a concern.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The only central team this year that concerns me is Nashville, and that's only because of Quick's abysmal record vs. them. The Sharks and Ducks are much more of a concern.

What concerns me about Nashville is their ugly &ss yellow "home" jerseys. Yellow vs white looks just terrible.

When the Kings play Nashville in round 2, they need to wear their black jerseys for the road games. Just like old times.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What concerns me about Nashville is their ugly &ss yellow "home" jerseys. Yellow vs white looks just terrible.

When the Kings play Nashville in round 2, they need to wear their black jerseys for the road games. Just like old times.

They should change their name to the Abba-Zaba's when they wear those.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
For me, it's not the loss. It's not that we threw away 1st in the division. It's not blowing a lead. It's not that the Jets are a bottom team.

It's that this is like the 1000th blown lead this season.
The 82nd game has perfecty summed up the entire year, this was like pressing the replay button, like watching 81 games in 60 minutes. First you take a lead against a crap team, then you give up crap goals to that team and end up losing a game you cannot lose.

Well look at the bright side we won't be playing any crap teams in the playoffs. The Kings will crank it up and they are going to be tough to beat in a 7 game series. Their defensive corp is weaker than the previous years but we have no choice so they need to come up big. Good thing is Doughty will be on the ice 1/2 the time.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Well look at the bright side we won't be playing any crap teams in the playoffs. The Kings will crank it up and they are going to be tough to beat in a 7 game series. Their defensive corp is weaker than the previous years but we have no choice so they need to come up big. Good thing is Doughty will be on the ice 1/2 the time.

That's honestly not a good thing, it makes him prone to injury and fatigue. I'd much rather have another competent D man after Muzzin and Martinez to soak up minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad