Proposal: WPG 1st+TT/KK for top 6 RW/C

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Armstrong has been pretty open about the fact he tried to move WPG’s 1st at the TDL, and that he will be open to using it as currency at the draft to bring a forward in. Given the Blues weakness at both center and right wing, what C/RW would your team be willing to part with for a package of WPG’s 1st+ Tage Thompson or Klim Kostin? Bonus points if the player is a RHS as well. I think most Blues fans would prefer to part with Thompson rather than Kostin, but he shouldn’t be completely off the table depending on the deal.

As an aside, Thomas/Kyrou/Dunn won’t be going anywhere for anything other than a clear overpayment.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Considering that Winnipeg's first round will be in the 28-31st range, and TT (Tage Thompson) and KK (Klim Kostin) are both former late first rounders (27+31), I think the value will be equal to a pick around the early 20's. In that case, I will offer a Pavelski from the Sharks.
Klim Kostin hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Tage Thompson hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Pavelski’s game has fallen off to the point where he’s only worth a mid-late first rounder? :eek:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Meh...I'd do Simmonds for one of those pieces. I have a feeling his reputation will garner a good return but his future will make it a lackluster trade for the recipient

Agreed. I think hes got another solid 2-4 years in him max. He did muster 24 goals playing through death, essentially, so his 'drop-off' this year wasnt too terrible.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed. I think hes got another solid 2-4 years in him max. He did muster 24 goals playing through death, essentially, so his 'drop-off' this year wasnt too terrible.
I'm just not as high as I was on Simmonds given the rough mileage. With that said, I'm not TTs biggest fan. I wouldn't be livid if this was the deal, I just feel Philly will be getting the better value.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm just not as high as I was on Simmonds given the rough mileage. With that said, I'm not TTs biggest fan. I wouldn't be livid if this was the deal, I just feel Philly will be getting the better value.

Right, i'm rather lukewarm on Simmonds myself. As you said, i think his reputation is whats going to garner the return, assuming hes moved. Great leader in the locker room, and great net front presence. Makes anyones PP that much more deadly when hes there, but his 5v5 play will generally leave you wanting more.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Considering that Winnipeg's first round will be in the 28-31st range, and TT (Tage Thompson) and KK (Klim Kostin) are both former late first rounders (27+31), I think the value will be equal to a pick around the early 20's. In that case, I will offer a Pavelski from the Sharks.

I'd love Pavelski but the one year left worries me. He's RHS, C or RW, amazing net-front precense and good on the PP. he checks a lot of boxes for us. But he has 1-year left and is getting older. If we have any shot to re-sign Pavelski on a good deal, then absolutely yes. If he is going to flee back to the Sharks after a year, or if he is going to want $8M until he is 40 from UFA, then I am far less excited. Probably still decent value, but not the long term-solution we want.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

The valuation of prospects based off of their draft position isn't completely relevant but nonetheless I get what you are saying. Kostin was a faller but that could also work against him as teams passed up on him for a reason. TT has had some development, doesn't look great this year as he was trying to learn to play away from the puck at the NHL level because we didn't have our own AHL team, therefore I can personally give him a pass but I wouldn't imagine everyone else will.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
In addition to Kostin and Thompson, I'd add Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Zach Sanford, Erik Foley, and Sam Blais to the "fair game" list.

Depending on the return, I'd be willing to package 1 or 2 of these guys, along with the 1st round pick for a top 6 forward (preferably C) with decent term.

Thomas and Kyrou stay.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
In addition to Kostin and Thompson, I'd add Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Zach Sanford, Erik Foley, and Sam Blais to the "fair game" list.

Depending on the return, I'd be willing to package 1 or 2 of these guys, along with the 1st round pick for a top 6 forward (preferably C) with decent term.

Thomas and Kyrou stay.
I'd also add Stevens, Toropchenko, Schmaltz, Walman, Mikolla, Husso, Binnington, Fitzpatrick to that list.

Reactions: JHockey123

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd also add Stevens, Toropchenko, Schmaltz, Walman, Mikolla, Husso, Binnington, Fitzpatrick to that list.

Husso is off-limits. Unproven goalie prospects don't have much trade value. He is too important and too much of a fit style-wise for us to trade for what he would realistically bring. Allen is not the long term answer in net for us. Husso is the closest prospect we have to ready and possibly being one. I'm not trading him as a throw-in in place of a mid-round pick. It would take severe overpayment. I don't really want to trade Fitzpatrick for the same reason. His playoffs were intriguing and I don't see him generating any real value. So I'd rather keep him as well. Hopefully one of them hits in the next couple years.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Husso is off-limits. Unproven goalie prospects don't have much trade value. He is too important and too much of a fit style-wise for us to trade for what he would realistically bring. Allen is not the long term answer in net for us. Husso is the closest prospect we have to ready and possibly being one. I'm not trading him as a throw-in in place of a mid-round pick. It would take severe overpayment. I don't really want to trade Fitzpatrick for the same reason. His playoffs were intriguing and I don't see him generating any real value. So I'd rather keep him as well. Hopefully one of them hits in the next couple years.
With three goalies in the system and Allen under contract for the foreseeable future, I'd move Husso to help out the NHL club in the right deal.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
With three goalies in the system and Allen under contract for the foreseeable future, I'd move Husso to help out the NHL club in the right deal.

The point is that no NHL GM is going to offer something that will significantly improve the Blues for the specific price of Husso. If you look at returns for goalies with approximately his pedigree, there's just no way his return would be worth what he could end up being worth to the Blues.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Armstrong has been pretty open about the fact he tried to move WPG’s 1st at the TDL, and that he will be open to using it as currency at the draft to bring a forward in. Given the Blues weakness at both center and right wing, what C/RW would your team be willing to part with for a package of WPG’s 1st+ Tage Thompson or Klim Kostin? Bonus points if the player is a RHS as well. I think most Blues fans would prefer to part with Thompson rather than Kostin, but he shouldn’t be completely off the table depending on the deal.

As an aside, Thomas/Kyrou/Dunn won’t be going anywhere for anything other than a clear overpayment.

Don’t see that getting a top 6 forward with term. That gets you a UFA rental.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would Michael Frolik be of any interest? He's a solid 2nd line winger that can play either side, excellent PKer and generally has very good fancy stats. Flames don't need to move him, but I think with Tkachuk due for a raise next summer, we might have to look at moving him then.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Would Michael Frolik be of any interest? He's a solid 2nd line winger that can play either side, excellent PKer and generally has very good fancy stats. Flames don't need to move him, but I think with Tkachuk due for a raise next summer, we might have to look at moving him then.

No we Frolik doesn't exactly fit the bill. I know he is a right winger, a right handed shot would be a little bit more in line. Frolik is more of a 3rd liner at best. Good one at best but last year wasn't exactly his best look. I feel like Frolik would instantly turn in to a whipping boy as Sobotka has.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
You can have a great Ryan Strome. He was drafted 5th overall! And to be generous you only have to give us one of those pieces!

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Thomas and Kyrou stay.

What about...

1st+Kostin/Thompson+Barbashev+Schmaltz for Carter+Martinez

Edit: small cap dump if needed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad