Post-Game Talk: Wow. We looked Good. (but we lost). That wasn't painful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
His recent arrival prevents him from joining the play as he needs to be familiarized with Babs new system first.. maybe by Sat?

Your right that may be the reason for not playing him but I would like to see what our "D" could do with him taking a spot over say Marincin.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica Comets fan here in search of some answers.

Can't find a thread exactly appropriate so I'll ask here. I read that Babcock was very adamant about going with 8 D-men and that influenced the grabbing of Corrado off waivers. In checking the Leafs main website, they currently list 10 D-men. Have they neglected to take two off the list and if so who are they?

I know Corrado can't go to the Marlies without the Canucks having the right to take him back. I get a feeling he isn't quite NHL ready. Utica could use him and I think Benning would reclaim him after the abuse he is taking from putting him on waivers when he had a perfectly legit way to hold on to him.

My hope is he sticks with the Leafs after the way he was mishandled last season. He has promise. Just needs to get the ice and a little time to adjust to the NHL game. Someone has to live with a few growing pains and an occasional mistake. In other words the way most teams initiate newcomers to the team. In Vancouver Benning's boys can make mistakes repeatedly and keep playing. The rest end up missing a few shifts, sitting at the end of the bench for a period or more, or in the press box. Frank sat in the press box for weeks without getting any game time. Then he got sent down. Was recalled and got similar treatment and then sent back down. Then at this year's camp they wondered how come he hadn't developed any further and tried to sneak him through waivers.

Good luck Frankie from the Utica fan base.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Can't find a thread exactly appropriate so I'll ask here. I read that Babcock was very adamant about going with 8 D-men and that influenced the grabbing of Corrado off waivers. In checking the Leafs main website, they currently list 10 D-men. Have they neglected to take two off the list and if so who are they?

Robidas and Granberg are on the IR.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
These are the games I expect to see for the most part this season. Decent play by the leafs but just lack enough skill to win.

The Habs really need to tighten their game if they want to go deeper in the playoffs. Without Price's phenomenonal play they looked awful.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The hard work displayed by Leaf players was refreshing to see. I wonder how long they can maintain this hard work if there is eventually no payoff(wins).

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Utica Comets fan here in search of some answers.

Both Granberg and Robidas are on the IR. It's assumed Granberg will be re-assigned to the Marlies when he's healthy and... we really don't know what's going on with Robidas. Retirement maybe? It's been a weird situation.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Both Granberg and Robidas are on the IR. It's assumed Granberg will be re-assigned to the Marlies when he's healthy and... we really don't know what's going on with Robidas. Retirement maybe? It's been a weird situation.

Thank you to another helpful Leafs fan. This looks like Corrado stays with the Leafs for the time being. Good for him.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
yes. They win with good goaltending.

Keep in mind though were it not for Gardiner's toe and Bernier's blocker deflection over the net... it's a 4-1 game before the EN opportunity.

Our side wasn't too shabby in the attempted steal column either.

Bernier's .931 save percentage last night shouldn't be dismissed. For the Leafs to win and make up for the talent gap, we will need to steal some games too.

Add to that the 2 posts and 1 crossbar the Habs hit.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
What I noticed:

The Good:
- Rielly: Looked pretty freakin dominant. He had a couple gaffs, but I'd expect that from a guy his age. He looks like he's gonna have a huge year.
- Kadri: I think he might just hit 65-70 points this year. He's got a fire lit under him so far.
- JVR: Seems like he doesn't need Kessel to be effective.
- Hunwick: Looks like he could be a steal of a pick up.
- Harrington: Looked very solid.

The Bad:
- Bozak: Oh man, it's gonna be a long year for Ty without Kessel feeding him.
- Holland: He was more average than anything, but he hasn't really shown any progression in my eyes.

The Ugly:
- Komorav: That hit was.. eh.. over the top.
- Bernier: Those softies man.. :shakehead

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
What I noticed:

The Good:
- Rielly: Looked pretty freakin dominant. He had a couple gaffs, but I'd expect that from a guy his age. He looks like he's gonna have a huge year.
- Kadri: I think he might just hit 65-70 points this year. He's got a fire lit under him so far.

The Bad:
- Holland: He was more average than anything, but he hasn't really shown any progression in my eyes.

The Ugly:

pretty much this is a nice sum up

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Structure is awesome.

Skill is severely lacking.

I like that a lot of people are thinking of the future... With this structure, add in the skills of Nylander, Marner, KK, Brown, Bracco, Dermott, etc...... Sick... just sick.

BTW, I have a feeling Kadri might be costing us large next season :laugh:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Bernier: 2GA, .931 SV%, but he lets in a goal that looks a bit soft, so he's one of the worst players on the ice.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Bernier: 2GA, .931 SV%, but he lets in a goal that looks a bit soft, so he's one of the worst players on the ice.

i appreciate the sentiment but the first shot on goal in the first game of the season can't hit you in the chest and bounce over your head into the net.

it just can't. those goals will kill you every single time. it's demoralizing and it doesn't happen to goalies who are playing well.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
i appreciate the sentiment but the first shot on goal in the first game of the season can't hit you in the chest and bounce over your head into the net.

it just can't. those goals will kill you every single time. it's demoralizing and it doesn't happen to goalies who are playing well.

It also wouldn't happen nearly so often, no one would really care if it was a fluke but at this point he's becoming notorious for it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Where do you classify his chest.

It was a knuckler that hit him in the shoulder and bounced up instead of down. It was pure bad luck.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Tell that to all the goalies who give up more 1st shot goals then Bernier does. The ones ahead of him are all considered elite goalies.

But since Bernier is in Toronto it must be different.

Some folks are quick to forget that Bernier played damn good after that first goal.
That's the sign of a good goalie, the ability to shake things off and focus on not making another mistake. He made a few damn good saves in the third to keep it a close game. Both goalies kept their teams in the game, one more then the other yes but Bernier wasn't chopped liver.

Game 1 in the books and we played unlike a leafs team has in ages and all some people can focus on is riding Bernier. :help:

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The puck possession last night was amazing to watch. Extended pressure in the offensive zone and guys not giving up on pucks but hustling till there was no more hustle left.

I loved watching how active Babs and company were behind the bench talking to the guys and either giving advice or giving them a slap on the back. I think in one game they talked to the players more then Randy and Ron did combined.

The guys showed they are buying into the system and I think it will only get better from here. Entertaining hockey till the bitter end. Gotta love that at least.

Once we get some skill throughout the lineup, watch out. Til then everyone will know they will have to earn the 2 points from us not just get it on a silver platter.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What I noticed:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Agreed with everything but Holland, he could've had a hatty if he had some finish. Wouldn't surprise me to see Holland overtake Bozak this year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
good game

latest

GRRRR.. That Ford pop up ad is ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that is what it looks like to play hockey and not riverboat? Probably one of the most enjoyable Leafs games in 2 to 3 years.

Goals are sure going to hard to come by this year, too bad we didnt have a 30 goal winger... :popcorn:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It also wouldn't happen nearly so often, no one would really care if it was a fluke but at this point he's becoming notorious for it.

Watch some other teams and you will see every starter in the league giving up softies. That goes from Price and Renne all the way on through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad