Post-Game Talk: Wow. We looked Good. (but we lost). That wasn't painful at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
you guys will win more than you lose if you play like that.

good game, hard to win that 1st one. already looking forward to the rematch!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Mtl is so bad. Horrible team. Price will have to steal every game as usual.

yes. They win with good goaltending.

Keep in mind though were it not for Gardiner's toe and Bernier's blocker deflection over the net... it's a 4-1 game before the EN opportunity.

Our side wasn't too shabby in the attempted steal column either.

Bernier's .931 save percentage last night shouldn't be dismissed. For the Leafs to win and make up for the talent gap, we will need to steal some games too.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
What are your realistic thoughts on the game?

Did you like the effort that the Habs had or think that they got lucky?

lady luck tended both teams an olive branch last night, thats for sure. score could have been different early on; habs hit 3 posts before the midway mark, iirc.

ill be honest man, TML looked poised and determined. I think coach Mike can mold this group into a respectable hockey team.

as far as effort goes, i think both teams gave an honest effort, but at the end of the day what made the difference is the habs' depth and talent. i mean, Carey will be Carey, no shame in losing to this guy!

edit: Kadri has to be smarter!!! super skilled player, very involved in the game, making bad decisions (charge on Emelin, wtfff?!) that will be costly in the long run. also, Morgan Rielly is a terrific d-man for you guys, great to see him consolidate his role!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
lady luck tended both teams an olive branch last night, thats for sure. score could have been different early on; habs hit 3 posts before the midway mark, iirc.

ill be honest man, TML looked poised and determined. I think coach Mike can mold this group into a respectable hockey team.

as far as effort goes, i think both teams gave an honest effort, but at the end of the day what made the difference is the habs' depth and talent. i mean, Carey will be Carey, no shame in losing to this guy!

edit: Kadri has to be smarter!!! super skilled player, very involved in the game, making bad decisions (charge on Emelin, wtfff?!) that will be costly in the long run. also, Morgan Rielly is a terrific d-man for you guys, great to see him consolidate his role!

Yeah, you don't have to apologize for good goaltending. It's the reason that he was drafted where he was.

Overall a fairly sloppy game. A lot of mishandling of the pucks and a lot of turnovers, but nothing that you wouldn't expect from the opening night with a lot of emotions and a lot of rust to shake off.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Habs were lucky throughout the game but we lucked out on quite a few occasions as well. Bernier was decent but the Habs hit like 3 posts.

I thought maybe the offseason will cool down Price but it doesn't seem like it. It's amazing how calm he is when there is chaos around his net. He can be patient, he can also make Tim Thomas like scrambling saves and he's really got no weakness at all. No where to shoot where you know he's weak, you need to screen him or he'll save everything.

Plekaturtlenec

Jan 11, 2014
Toronto
Hate to say it but leafs looked good tonight. Both teams shaking off some summer rust still. I wouldn't be mad watching them play like that all year even if they lose.

Can we trade coaches? :nod:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Play disciplined and hard all season like they did last night and its the real beginning of the "culture change" which has to happen before bringing up too many kids. The "best of both worlds" scenario whereby they become a hard working team, jettison some older players for draft picks, refine a system, and then get a high draft pick.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Throw in your starting goalie, and we just might :sarcasm:

I still remember Carey Price telling the media on draft day that it would be great to be drafted by the Leafs :laugh:.

We picked Rask @ 21 so I'm guessing Montreal made a hell of a pick at #5 because I don't think Price expected to go that high in the draft.

Montreal made the right choice even when it came to Halak vs. Price. I was hoping so badly that they screw up and traded Price because of Halak's playoff performance.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Its painful, because my phone is blowing up from my hab friends.

I am a lot older than you I bet, when I was in school my best friend was a Habs fan and I was a Leafs fan, I became a Leafs fan the year after they last won the Cup. So you can imagine what I went through, anyway he is still my best friend even though he is still a Habs fan

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I still remember Carey Price telling the media on draft day that it would be great to be drafted by the Leafs :laugh:.

We picked Rask @ 21 so I'm guessing Montreal made a hell of a pick at #5 because I don't think Price expected to go that high in the draft.

Montreal made the right choice even when it came to Halak vs. Price. I was hoping so badly that they screw up and traded Price because of Halak's playoff performance.

I thought the Habs were nuts taking Price that high when Gilbert Brule was available, shows what I know

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
The Leafs are finally on the right track, I can take losing if we do not trade draft choices and continue taking talent with our first round picks over pure size and muscle. Nylander, Marner and getting Kappinen (sp?), great moves.

BTW What is keeping Conner Brown in the minors is it size, skating, both? And is Gauthier going to be an NHL'er, seemed to be so many more skilled players available when we made that selection, still hoping for the best with the guy but the offensive upside just does not seem to be there for a first round pick

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Yeah this deep into the season and he has shown us nothing yet.

Yep, wouldn't want to judge him on his first game of the season when we're busy judging the rest of the team on their first game of the season.

Whatever gets you through.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
They competed all night, good overall effort but the end result was a loss and that's going to be the theme of the season

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Team looked pretty damn competent. Price was solid for the Habs. Interesting to see Babcock use the 1st Coach's challenge. This team will compete all year, but it'll be ugly on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad