Proposal: Would your team offer a better forward asset than Andrei Svechnikov for Rasmus Dahlin?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think it depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for playmaking I could see a lot of Leafs fans offering Marner who’s been a better, more established player over the course of his career but has a lower upside, costs more and plays a less desirable position. Marner and Eichel would look pretty amazing together though.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I just couldn't pass up a Dahlin - Makar pairing.
Considering that Girard looks like a top pairing guy right now as well, that probably gives you the best D in the league for the next decade or so.
It also frees up Byram for a trade (Huberdeau- Byram swap would make a lot of sense) and enables you to make a decent offer to Hall as well (with Huberdeaus cheap contract you could maybe even get both if Hall doesn't seek max money)...
There is also a chance that you can get Dahlin on a steal contract considering he has not reached his full form yet and only has 1 year left.

I love Rants but I think that if you can trade a superstar winger for a few guaranteed Norris trophies (between Makar and Dahlin there should be a few of those), you do it.
Winger and goalie are the two positions where you can always get quality sooner or later if you have the assets available.
Norris level Ds or Hart level Cs? Not so much...

AVs can create a devastating Dahlin-Makar tandem offering:

Byram + Newhook = Dahlin

BUF replaces their LHD and improves their C depth.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan, I’d certainly offer Marner, but I don’t think he’s a better asset than Svech, when you take into account size/physically, age/upside, and contracts.

I wouldn’t offer Matthews, who’s the only forward asset we have that’s better than Marner.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dahlin not going anywhere, wouldn't trade him for Marner or Byram + Newhook.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had to put a tag on it, but this is really not a proposal. This thread is not intended to generate a conversation about Dahlin’s availability, Buffalo’s needs, Dahlin vs. Svechnikov or Carolina’s needs.

It’s a thought experiment about the availability of hokey trades and what that potentially means for the notion of BPA. Take your team’s needs into account.
You would always want a C over a Winger if you are trading a top notch Dman.

That would be the only caveat to so a talent like Svech is that he's a winger. Different scenario if you already have a 1C, but if you did, then you wouldn't move a 1D for a 1Winger.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
If Pittsburgh lose to Montreal and don't win the draft lottery :

To Buffalo
Jake Guentzel
15th overall pick 2020

To Pittsburgh
Rasmus Dahlin

Buffalo would make the trade Pittsburgh wouldn't make the trade .

Why in earth would Buffalo make this trade? It isn't even close in value.

Also, as a general comment, Dahlin isn't just an offensive minded D. He plays pretty damned good defense as well.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Why in earth would Buffalo make this trade? It isn't even close in value.

Also, as a general comment, Dahlin isn't just an offensive minded D. He plays pretty damned good defense as well.
Guentzel isn't available so you you don't have to worry about it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I had to put a tag on it, but this is really not a proposal. This thread is not intended to generate a conversation about Dahlin’s availability, Buffalo’s needs, Dahlin vs. Svechnikov or Carolina’s needs.

It’s a thought experiment about the availability of hokey trades and what that potentially means for the notion of BPA. Take your team’s needs into account.

Just reiterating OP not saying Dahlin available, wants honest intellectual review/discussion.

IF IF IF IF
Dahlin really were available, we would offer our best forward, Zib, who has NMC and may/may not go, with significant +, prob ++.

AVs can create a devastating Dahlin-Makar tandem offering:

Byram + Newhook = Dahlin

BUF replaces their LHD and improves their C depth.

nope.
Dahlin commands more.
Byram is untested but at this point draft position commands respect, presumptively.

Newhook is interesting and a nice piece but he doesn't, at this point, COMMAND the same return a Hughes or Kakko or similar does.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Who's the comparable asset here in terms of age/skill/position? I could see a team trading 1OA/Lafreniere for him without much issue if defense is a greater need.

Reactions: bernmeister

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Intentions are fine and good but this question is literally just a proxy for that question

It's a proxy for BPA vs. need. You can replace forward with center, Svechnikov with Byfield and Dahlin with Lafreniere and it's a similar conversation.

There's a Svechnikov vs. Dahlin conversation on the main board, if anyone is interested in that. It's still a one-sided debate, mind you.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's a proxy for BPA vs. need. You can replace forward with center, Svechnikov with Byfield and Dahlin with Lafreniere and it's a similar conversation.

There's a Svechnikov vs. Dahlin conversation on the main board, if anyone is interested in that. It's still a one-sided debate, mind you.

If I’m understand what this is about, cost or ROI matters too.

Say after next year Buffalo Falls short because they don’t appear to have that 2C. Thry have everything else in top 9.

With Dahlin due money. He’s a finalist for best Dman. He’s clearly a top 5 in the league.

A team has a top 15 in half Dman who is under a $4M-$5M contract for 5 yrs and 24 or younger and they have a center under contract who is a solid 2C under 4+ yrs contract at $4.5M or soand hes 26 or younger.

They contract costs are close.

This is similar to Toronto and needing to trade Matthews for a cheaper 2C and RD young top 4 Dman.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I think it's making the point quite well though. Lots of people in the Svech vs. Dahlin thread saying Carolina definitely takes Dahlin at #1 then flips him or Slavin for a better forward than Svechnikov.

I'm not seeing those offers.

As I pointed out there, as illogical as it may seem and contrary to popular opinion, Carolina was unambiguously all-in on Svechnikov. If the picks were swapped...I think Carolina tries to sell Buffalo into a pick swap to gain extra value...when that fails, they take Svechnikov at #1 as the best move for the team.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The only asset we have more valuable than, or even as valuable as, Svechnikov is Pettersson

So no, Vancouver wouldn't make that trade, as much as we need someone like Dahlin.

Reactions: bernmeister

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd start with Laine for Dahlin. Not sure myself how to value that trade since I think Laine still has a huge upside and Dahlin clearly does too, but the Jets could really use a #1D with Byfuglien gone.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
While I agree with the first part, you would be trading for Dahlin; he's already better than any D we have on the roster....

Neither will he be a depth LD for us, nor is any of our depth projecting to be anywhere close to him. He pushes everyone down, any who don't make it get culled and you move on. In any world where he is available and the trade is there, there is no outcome where Holland declines because of our LD depth.
Oilers would have to offer Drai (or McD) to get Dahlin. All other forwards are not close in value.

So there is no feasible trade between Edmontona and Buffalo involving Dahlin.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If Pittsburgh lose to Montreal and don't win the draft lottery :

To Buffalo
Jake Guentzel
15th overall pick 2020

To Pittsburgh
Rasmus Dahlin

Buffalo would make the trade Pittsburgh wouldn't make the trade .
no way buffalo does that. considering the state of the team buffalo wouldn't trade dahlin for crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad