Proposal: Would your team offer a better forward asset than Andrei Svechnikov for Rasmus Dahlin?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I had to put a tag on it, but this is really not a proposal. This thread is not intended to generate a conversation about Dahlin’s availability, Buffalo’s needs, Dahlin vs. Svechnikov or Carolina’s needs.

It’s a thought experiment about the availability of hockey trades and what that potentially means for the notion of BPA. Take your team’s needs into account.

Last edited:

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Oilers perspective, no. We don't have the forward depth to trade a forward better than Svechnikov for Dahlin, plus when you factor in our LD depth, make bad trade partners.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Svechnikov has one year on his ELC left. Plus 5+ more years of team control...
There are not many better assets in the league than him or Dahlin....

Avs even only have 1 forward that could fit the bill in MacKinnon (and he only has 3 years of team control left after that so it even might be slightly questionable).
And no I wouldn't trade him for Dahlin...

I would trade Rantanen but Svech should have more value.....

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
If the habs had svechnikov, I wouldnt trade him for Dahlin even though I think Dahlin will end up really good

I think it's much more likely to acquire top forwards than defensemen. I'd take Dahlin, although Svech is looking great. Top pairing D like Dahlin are just much more rare.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers perspective, no. We don't have the forward depth to trade a forward better than Svechnikov for Dahlin, plus when you factor in our LD depth, make bad trade partners.

While I agree with the first part, you would be trading for Dahlin; he's already better than any D we have on the roster....

Neither will he be a depth LD for us, nor is any of our depth projecting to be anywhere close to him. He pushes everyone down, any who don't make it get culled and you move on. In any world where he is available and the trade is there, there is no outcome where Holland declines because of our LD depth.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
It’s a thought experiment about the availability of hokey trades and what that potentially means for the notion of BPA. Take your team’s needs into account.

Montreal doesn't have a forward prospect of the same quality or better than Svechnikov

But something like Domi + absolutely. Players like Dahlin are so hard to come by

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Habs dont have one.

Unless they get the 1st pick

And MB would be chased out of town by a mob with torches and pitchforks if he even thought of trading the next great French Canadian hope......

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Svech is perhaps top winger asset in the league, given his age and talent. Obviously speaks to how good Dahlen is (and positional value) that most folks wouldn’t deal him for Svech.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
not sure if there even are any "better forward asset than Andrei Svechnikov" that would be made available
Eichel? maybe not better
seems sky is the limit for that very young, very good player ...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Most teams don't. Suzuki will probably be a similar asset to Svechnikov and I wouldn' t trade him.

I think Suzuki is a great young player with plenty of room to grow, but Svechnikov is younger and had 61 points in 68 games. Even accounting for position, he's more valuable ATM.

I'd definitely trade Suzuki to get Dahlin though. But neither he nor Svechnikov gets you Dahlin.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
While I agree with the first part, you would be trading for Dahlin; he's already better than any D we have on the roster....

Neither will he be a depth LD for us, nor is any of our depth projecting to be anywhere close to him. He pushes everyone down, any who don't make it get culled and you move on. In any world where he is available and the trade is there, there is no outcome where Holland declines because of our LD depth.

Agreed, but what I mean about LD depth is that fact that it adds to a reason why we wouldn't trade a top end forward to get Dahlin. It's adding to an organizational strength by putting a bigger hole in a glaring weakness.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Svechnikov has one year on his ELC left. Plus 5+ more years of team control...
There are not many better assets in the league than him or Dahlin....

Avs even only have 1 forward that could fit the bill in MacKinnon (and he only has 3 years of team control left after that so it even might be slightly questionable).
And no I wouldn't trade him for Dahlin...

I would trade Rantanen but Svech should have more value.....

That would basically be drafting Svechnikov over Dahlin if presented the opportunity as I have Rantanen as a pretty close comparable. Still, this interests me. Colorado is a team that has strong balance, particularly in the mid to long-term. From afar, Rantanen for Dahlin seems like it would throw it out of balance. The Avs win the trade, but does it actually make them a better team? I suppose turning around and trading Makar or Byram to backfill is a possibility. However, there's a question about the quality of the forward asset that could be returned in a trade like that.

Reactions: DaveG

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I had to put a tag on it, but this is really not a proposal. This thread is not intended to generate a conversation about Dahlin’s availability, Buffalo’s needs, Dahlin vs. Svechnikov or Carolina’s needs.

It’s a thought experiment about the availability of hokey trades and what that potentially means for the notion of BPA. Take your team’s needs into account.
If Pittsburgh lose to Montreal and don't win the draft lottery :

To Buffalo
Jake Guentzel
15th overall pick 2020

To Pittsburgh
Rasmus Dahlin

Buffalo would make the trade Pittsburgh wouldn't make the trade .

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Agreed, but what I mean about LD depth is that fact that it adds to a reason why we wouldn't trade a top end forward to get Dahlin. It's adding to an organizational strength by putting a bigger hole in a glaring weakness.

I think we might, if it wasnt Draisaitl or nothing. I'd trade Laf + an average LD + a pick for Dahlin. Sabres wouldnt touch that though.

EDIT:
Honestly I'd probably do

Laf, nurse + pick for Dahlin. Sabres dont. I suppose not the point of the thread to speculate. This team hasnt had a legit offensive minded 1D since pronger and he almost carried us to a cup. McDavid doesnt need a super star winger. We need defenseman that can do something with the puck, hurting us big time right now in this series.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That would basically be drafting Svechnikov over Dahlin if presented the opportunity as I have Rantanen as a pretty close comparable. Still, this interests me. Colorado is a team that has strong balance, particularly in the mid to long-term. From afar, Rantanen for Dahlin seems like it would throw it out of balance. The Avs win the trade, but does it actually make them a better team? I suppose turning around and trading Makar or Byram to backfill is a possibility. However, there's a question about the quality of the forward asset that could be returned in a trade like that.

I just couldn't pass up a Dahlin - Makar pairing.
Considering that Girard looks like a top pairing guy right now as well, that probably gives you the best D in the league for the next decade or so.
It also frees up Byram for a trade (Huberdeau- Byram swap would make a lot of sense) and enables you to make a decent offer to Hall as well (with Huberdeaus cheap contract you could maybe even get both if Hall doesn't seek max money)...
There is also a chance that you can get Dahlin on a steal contract considering he has not reached his full form yet and only has 1 year left.

I love Rants but I think that if you can trade a superstar winger for a few guaranteed Norris trophies (between Makar and Dahlin there should be a few of those), you do it.
Winger and goalie are the two positions where you can always get quality sooner or later if you have the assets available.
Norris level Ds or Hart level Cs? Not so much...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad