Would You Watch an OHL Team in Buffalo?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
After attending the Niagara IceDogs games on Saturday and Sunday, and seeing the passion the fans have, I was just curious to see if an OHL team in Buffalo might be of interest.

It would be a similar situation to the Calgary Hitmen/Flames and Edmonton Oilers/Oil Kings in that they'd share an arena (FNC).

Just an add in: I'd call them the Buffalo Breakers. Got any other ideas?

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I could see one being successful. Is there rules to how close teams can be to each other? With a team in Niagara Falls.

The Buffalo Wings :laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd have to imagine scheduling conflicts would arise from having a Jr team play 30 + games at the FNC since it would be going on when the Sabres and Bandits are playing.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I'd be interested. Especially if it was affiliated with the Sabres. Not sure on the rules regarding that - obviously the players would not yet be drafted so they wouldn't be Sabres property like in Rochester or in some cases Elmira. It'd be great if the OHL team could acquire some of the Sabres recent draft selections that were sent back to junior. I'd accept a slightly worse OHL team or one sided trades if it meant seeing a couple of our prospects playing together in/near Buffalo. There's also a big benefit for the Sabres to have them close enough for access to the Sabres' facilities and training staff.

EDIT: Too bad about the Ice Dogs having veto power. Could Pegula pony up a little money and buy the team? It'd be great to have an OHL franchise nearby that works closely with the Sabres front office.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't know about the 80km thing, Hamilton just got a team and Copps is definitely within 80Km of Meridian Center.

Guelph and Kitchener are right beside each other, and Peterborough and Oshawa are probably right around 80km.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
I think an OHL team would be perfect for the Buffalo area. I think the fanbase here could easily make an OHL team here viable.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Would love to watch an OHL team in Buffalo. Could the Harbor center be big enough for the crowd? I love following prospects and Buffalo is a big enough hockey city to easily support it.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd go to a few games for sure.

Part of my Powerball plan involves purchasing an OHL franchise and relocating them to Rochester. I just think that would be a blast owning a junior team and watching kids that come through my system end up in the NHL.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Would love to watch an OHL team in Buffalo. Could the Harbor center be big enough for the crowd? I love following prospects and Buffalo is a big enough hockey city to easily support it.

Not even close. HarborCenter Rink 1 only holds 1800 people. I expect a team in Buffalo to draw 4,000-6,000 people per game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There is no way a OHL would be viable here. When it comes to sports we are a pro sports town and an event town. We do a great job supporting the Sabres and Bills. We also do a great job supporting stand alone events like IIHF world juniors, U18 women's championships, NCAA regionals, Frozen Four, etc. But we're not a lower pro or college type of town. None of our local college teams in any sport get crowds of note. Canisius' hockey drew roughly 1k per game in their first season at Harborcenter. Thats very good for them and they had a pretty good team. I can't see 4-5k showing up to watch a junior team on a regular basis.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
There is no way a OHL would be viable here. When it comes to sports we are a pro sports town and an event town. We do a great job supporting the Sabres and Bills. We also do a great job supporting stand alone events like IIHF world juniors, U18 women's championships, NCAA regionals, Frozen Four, etc. But we're not a lower pro or college type of town. None of our local college teams in any sport get crowds of note. Canisius' hockey drew roughly 1k per game in their first season at Harborcenter. Thats very good for them and they had a pretty good team. I can't see 4-5k showing up to watch a junior team on a regular basis.

Well no college team in WNY has any sport worth watching really...besides maybe UB basketball now.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'd love to see an OHL team in Buffalo - but don't see Buffalo supporting them - as mentioned above. Canisius College has a Division 1 program and gets very little support. They are worth watching. I'll stop here as I just repeating what joshjull said.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Well no college team in WNY has any sport worth watching really...besides maybe UB basketball now.

That's what I was thinking. No one really attends the college games because they all suck for the most part. I think an OHL team would flourish. Look at how well the city supports the Bisons, a mere AAA team. Your going to tell me we can lead in attendance numerous years for the Bisons but couldn't draw 6-7k for 36 games to watch the future stars of tomorrow? I don't buy it. In fact I think an OHL team here the first year would easily sell out every game.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think it would do very well. As others have said Canisius hockey may be division 1, but it's not like they've been pumping out NHL players, or regularly competing for much of anything. I'd probably buy season tickets too. As far as names maybe the Buffalo Braves? I always liked the sound of it, even if I'm too young to remember them.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think it would do very well. As others have said Canisius hockey may be division 1, but it's not like they've been pumping out NHL players, or regularly competing for much of anything. I'd probably buy season tickets too. As far as names maybe the Buffalo Braves? I always liked the sound of it, even if I'm too young to remember them.

Two straight conference championship game appearances (one win) and a semifinals appearance this year. Three straight years of success.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Two straight conference championship game appearances (one win) and a semifinals appearance this year. Three straight years of success.

Nobody really cares about conference championships.... It's not a big time college hockey program who is going to have National Prominence.

If you had a College Hockey Team that was equivalent to the Syracuse Basketball team then you'd have no problems filling an arena.

As long as the OHL team was competitive year in year out (for the most part) it would have no problems carving a substantial fan base in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad