Would you want Chara to retire a Bruin, if...

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Overpaid by 2+ Million for multiple years? No. I doubt it comes to that though. Even if it did, I doubt he would be moved. He'd probably have more value to the team than in a trade.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Maybe I'm being too much of an absolutist, but "overpaying" anybody, under any circumstances, is dumb.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well if you want to see something hilarious, go look at the clowns on the main board starting a thread that he has "slowed down hard". Declined a bit due to age? Sure, that's expected. Slowed down hard is ludicrous though.

****ing preposterous. Then when B's fans say it isn't true that he's slowed down HARD, they tell us that WE'RE wrong. Like we haven't been watching him every ****ing game.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
How about if Chara's interested in retiring a Bruin he doesn't rake the team over the coals, financially speaking? What does it say about him and his character if he would rather not take the pay cut and stay on to retire as a Bruin? Or is that somehow a non-factor in the equation?

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
He is a captain of a stanley cup bruin team... Chief (Johnny Bucyk) didnt start as a bruin.. but.. he is a great Bruin now.

Chara deserves that type of treatment. i dont mind paying a bit more.. and cant see him demanding "stupid" money after. The man has too much class.

Also for those old enough to remember Bobby Orr in a Chicago uniform.. and how much it sucked !!!!! to this day still admire the hawks..but hated the idea of a bruin god playing for them.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His 6.9 has been a steal for the last couple seasons, he should have made more... yes he retires a Bruin in my mind. People can claim Bergy is the true captain, but it is definitely Chara.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I think he will finish with the bruins. I honestly think he will finish out this contract and hang it up at the end. If he continues on somewhere else because of the shape he stays in he may. But its not like he will be trying to get on a cup team because he is without one.

Remember Ray left us only because he wanted a shot to win the cup, Z does not have the hanging over his head.

And he came back to Boston, where he continues to make a difference in the city. Favorite player all-time, wonderful person. I had the opportunity to meet him in street clothes after a preseason scrimmage game as a teenager. I could barely speak, I was so hero- struck. When he left town, I didn't blame him, our team was terrible, and our management was terrible. He did the right thing.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Well if you want to see something hilarious, go look at the clowns on the main board starting a thread that he has "slowed down hard". Declined a bit due to age? Sure, that's expected. Slowed down hard is ludicrous though.

****ing preposterous. Then when B's fans say it isn't true that he's slowed down HARD, they tell us that WE'RE wrong. Like we haven't been watching him every ****ing game.

Main board is mostly Pens/Habs/Leafs/Canucks fans, don't expect any better from that board.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
What's best for the team > sentiment.

Being traded near the end is not going to break his heart or leave him feeling the team screwed him. It's a business and he probably expects it.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
What's best for the team > sentiment.

Being traded near the end is not going to break his heart or leave him feeling the team screwed him. It's a business and he probably expects it.

Not true. Numerous players continuously go on record saying things like "it's a business, but this still hurts" and similar things. Why do you think so many of them cry during big moments? Business is making them cry? It's way more than a business. They bond with their team and their community. And so do their families.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Chara seems to me like the kind of guy who will know when it's time to hang up the skates. He has too much pride to allow himself to go on the ice and be mediocre just for a pay check. I think he will want what he's worth until that day comes and not try to bilk the Bs for money, and hopefully will remain a Bruin, and ultimately retire a B when the time is right. The great thing is that he still is effective even on a bad day, and flat-out awesome when he's on his game.

trudatman*

I've been pushing for a "trade him while it's worth it" situation with Chara. he did have a big drop off since last season and he has recovered a bit recently, but he is surely not at his peak. the big issue is that he's big, allowing Bruins goalies to see more pucks (and opposing netminders to see fewer when he's screening on the powerplay), so the Bruins would need to adjust in many areas or replace his girth with a 6'6" or taller defender. I suspect he'll be a great player for another year and a half, but I don't want my favorite team paying him seven million dollars per year to be a scratched leader or a third pairing dude playing eight minutes per game and putting up minuses. he's a special case because of the system he allows for, but get the huge haul for him while it is available. ideally that would include another very large defender. I believe his value dropped a bunch since last season and that it will continue to do so. now, if he becomes the enforcer or starts laying guys out at all opportunities instead of playing the geometric game the Bruins currently use him for, then I'd reevaluate my position, but Chara as we know him? trade bait, for sure. I hope he's traded before 2015-2016 as long as the return is substantial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad