Would you want Chara to retire a Bruin, if...

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
...if it meant overpaying him by 2m per in the final years?

As I watch the MSL thing unfold with Tampa, and the fallout from Alfie, I wonder just how much I'd value seeing Chara hang them up eventually in black and gold. He's not someone we saw come up from scratch (like a Bergy), but it's starting to feel that way. He's such a big part of the team and the city.

We got robbed of seeing 77 retire as a Bruin (granted his retirement was still sweet), would you want to see Chara retire as a Bruin if it meant paying him a bit of a golden parachute?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not if that 2m would be desperately needed for other areas. And how many years are we talkin' here?

I love Z, but I'm not for putting us in a sketchy cap situation just so the big guy can retire as a B. Hopefully we'll never need to know.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No. It's not like we drafted him, groomed him, and had him his entire career. It would be one thing if he was, but he's not. It may sound cold, but thanks for the memories, please move along. Nothing to see here.

member 96824

Bergeron yes, Chara...I don't know. Depends on what level he's playing at when the time comes.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Right now his current contract (age on the left, dollars on the right)

37: 6.9m
38: 6.9m
39: 6.9m
40: 6.9m
41: 4m

So the 39-40 year old range at 6.9m that I'm wondering about. By the time he's 40, that 6.9m could be looking a bit steep. Or maybe by then the cap is 95m, and we're not remotely worried.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
No. It's not like we drafted him, groomed him, and had him his entire career. It would be one thing if he was, but he's not. It may sound cold, but thanks for the memories, please move along. Nothing to see here.

Even if he gets us a second cup (or more?), and is a lock HOF? I dunno, for me it would be tough.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Right now his current contract (age on the left, dollars on the right)

37: 6.9m
38: 6.9m
39: 6.9m
40: 6.9m
41: 4m

So the 39-40 year old range at 6.9m that I'm wondering about. By the time he's 40, that 6.9m could be looking a bit steep. Or maybe by then the cap is 95m, and we're not remotely worried.

This is the key, assuming cap inflation $6.9M cap hit could be pretty palatable.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Correct.

Swap the name Chara for Bergeron in this scenario and it gets a little more uncomfortable.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hmm, I think he'll be fine throughout his contract and he has 3-5 years left at a level close to his current one.

Im not sure if hes a guy who will want to play into his 40s. If he wants to hang around like Chelios he surely can.

So if a 44 year old Chara still wants to play who knows where it will be?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The signing of Chara [and Marc Savard] did a lot to re-establish the Bruins as a team that players are willing to go to and want to play for, especially after the wilderness years of Sinden & O'Connell in the front office.

Not only that Chara led this team to its first Stanley Cup in 39 years and within 6 games of winning another one last season. His understated leadership as Captain has been outstanding and he remains one of the best defensemen in the NHL at age 36.

I don't care that he began his career on Long Island and then went to Ottawa. Chara is a great Bruin and he deserves to retire as one.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The signing of Chara [and Marc Savard] did a lot to re-establish the Bruins as a team that players are willing to go to and want to play for, especially after the wilderness years of Sinden & O'Connell in the front office.

Not only that Chara led this team to its first Stanley Cup in 39 years and within 6 games of winning another one last season. His understated leadership as Captain has been outstanding and he remains one of the best defensemen in the NHL at age 36.

I don't care that he began his career on Long Island and then went to Ottawa. Chara is a great Bruin and he deserves to retire as one.

Ya that's pretty much exactly the camp I'm in too.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Ya that's pretty much exactly the camp I'm in too.

Also given Chara's incredible workout regimen I think he's capable of playing at a high level for several years to come, so he could very well be a bargain if he wants to continue after his present deal is done.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't think it'll be a problem, but yes. He's still an elite #1D right now. I have no doubt he can be a top-pairing defenseman for at least 3 more years unless something injury related happens. Then his last year is $4m.

But Chara was the biggest piece in making Boston a hockey town again. He's captained us to a Cup, almost did it again, and he still can do it. I think he'll have his number retired and he'll play his last game as a Bruin. As others have said, the cap might be much bigger. If it's severe overpayment and we need other pieces, fine, move on... But I don't think it'll be an issue.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Even if he gets us a second cup (or more?), and is a lock HOF? I dunno, for me it would be tough.

It's hard to say, but yeah. I have zero interest in paying a guy for what he's done in the past rather than what he can do in the future. If he's gassed, overpaying him could create issues in other areas. It sucks, but it's the reality of the business side of sports. If this was baseball, you could easily have dead money walking around on your roster because it doesn't hurt you. In a cap world though, it can be a real issue. Love the guy, love what he's done here, but I would rather they move on if it comes down to it. Your OP also makes the assumption that Chara would want to stay.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
He is already a Bruin and signed until he is 41. I will with hold my opinion until I see how he is doing at age 41 and what kind of money he is asking for if/when he wants another contract.

Right now I am fine with what he makes and his level of play.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
I think he will finish with the bruins. I honestly think he will finish out this contract and hang it up at the end. If he continues on somewhere else because of the shape he stays in he may. But its not like he will be trying to get on a cup team because he is without one.

Remember Ray left us only because he wanted a shot to win the cup, Z does not have the hanging over his head.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
To the original question I'd say 'no'. Be it Chara or anyone else. It is a business and it really needs to be looked at that way IMO.
Now if he or any other player can bring on ice value for a reasonable price (Recchi) then that's a horse of a different color and should be considered.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I don't think it'll be a problem, but yes. He's still an elite #1D right now. I have no doubt he can be a top-pairing defenseman for at least 3 more years unless something injury related happens. Then his last year is $4m.

Chara is a horse.
Although I doubt he will be Elite when he is 40, but I am sure he can serve as a second pairing guy.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
He is already a Bruin and signed until he is 41. I will with hold my opinion until I see how he is doing at age 41 and what kind of money he is asking for if/when he wants another contract.

Right now I am fine with what he makes and his level of play.

There is nothing that says he has to stay here till the end of the contract, if Boston feels he's not worth the 6.9m.

Nobody thought MSL would leave, or Alfie for that matter. Or 99.

I think they'll potentially be some groans over 6.9m if he's 40 and struggling. Although as beastly as he is, I agree it may not be that likely.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Speed isn't a big part of Charas game so I think he will still be one of the best players in the league when he is 40+

He's also in top shape and one of the most dedicate trainer in the league. Just like Bourque and Lidstrom, he'll retire and people will say that he had still a couple more great years in him.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Chara is a horse.
Although I doubt he will be Elite when he is 40, but I am sure he can serve as a second pairing guy.
Perhaps not ,but he should still be very good.I don't particularly care if Chara retires a Bruin,after his current contract expires,although another Stanley Cup might convince me otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad