Would you trade Sam Bennett for the 3rd overall selection?

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Title says it all, I just wanna get your opinion on this topic.

Current situation: Columbus is looking for a replacement for Johansen.

Some arguments for/against this proposal. (obv. there are many more for each side)

Arguments for trading Sam.
Eliminates our 1st Line RW problems.
Bennett´s playstile could lead to more injuries.
Puljujärvi gives us more size´n grit.
3 year ELC compared to Bennets 1 year. (=more cap space in 2017/18 and 18/19)
Exempt from expansion draft, if held this or next June.

Arguments against trading Bennett.

Monahan-Backlund won´t be as good as Bennett-Monahan in 3 years.
Puljujärvi could bust in the NHL, Bennett is at least a very good #2C if not #1C.
Sam Bennett´s work ethic is great.
#93 is Canadian, Puljujärvi is not.

That leads us to my main question. Would you trade Sam?

(Please vote in the poll under what circumstances you´d)

Last edited:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
It would be tempting. But probably not. Bennett is what gives us centre depth. Without him it's not a position of strength anymore.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It is tempting but we can't. Bennett loves it here and he's so damn hungry, you don't trade players like that especially ones with his talent.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Bennett is exactly the type of center you win with. He plays like a bull, is great along the boards, has great hands, and a very high IQ in both ends of the ice. The guy is going to be a player similar to what Ryan Keslar was in his prime. Why would you trade that? You also need to realize that Bennett isn't small either(6'1) he just lacks weight. Once Bennett gets to around 205 watch out, size is overated. Having a bunch of players who are 6'4 or 6'5 gives you nothing if they all float and don't play physical and Puj isn't a physical winger. He does take his place and stands sturdy but his physical game is somewhat like Monahans, which means he doesn't crash and bang. So gaining grit would not happen. We need Sam Bennett, he will be the motor that fuels our physical game, players like him rub off on his line mates and team mates. Honestly there isn't many people I would trade Bennett for in the league and I would even hesitate trading him for Mathews as essentially Bennett fills a bigger need on our roster than Matthews would.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett is a sure thing. He missed so many chances last year, that's not going to continue.

3rd is going to be a star this year but no point to trade for a potential star for something you know that is already just as good

moon*

I would certainly think about it.

I love Bennett and I know last year he was still young and coming back from missing a year but I had hoped to see more offense from him.

Puljujarvi does fit a need at RW but it also creates a blackhole for our 2nd line in that we basically have none now and lose our best shot at creating one in the future.

With the way teams seem to be going with pairs in the their top 6 and plugging in a 3rd piece that may not be a true top 6 player but works well with more talented guys I think keeping Bennett as the anchor for the 2nd line makes more sense than filling the top line spot with a stud RW.

I wouldn't be angry if they made the move 1 for 1, or 3rd+ but I think if forced to choose I would keep Sam and trust that he will develop.

moon*

Hell naw. He's too unique IMO.

How do you see him as being too unique? (Not meant to be a shot at you or disagreement that he is unique, I am honestly asking for your opinion on this).

I assume because of some sort of percieved combination of grit and offense?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No point. Bennett is a great fit for the organization, and there's really no reason to believe that Pulju is a better player or better fit.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I'm not high on Puljujärvi at all, so hell no. For Laine, I'll be sad, but yes.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Not a chance.
Bennett's the best skater we have on offense and the best distributor we have at centre there's a very good chance he surpasses Monahan (who we'd never trade for 3rd Overall)

Aug 21, 2014
How do you see him as being too unique? (Not meant to be a shot at you or disagreement that he is unique, I am honestly asking for your opinion on this).

I assume because of some sort of percieved combination of grit and offense?

Bingo.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Maybe 2 years from now we can trade that player for the 2nd overall!

In other words no thank you.

2b6d8a389451debee7dc8ffade49261a90d44c3be21879f109d4cfbbe36a5631.jpg

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Jeez that's a tough one. Pulju is so underrated on this site though. It's rather odd to me. I'd probably say no because the homer inside of me wins out. As an objective observer I think Pulju is the better talent though.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yes, as long as you can trade the 6th for a young 1c center like and rnh, zinanejad, Ryan strome etc.

Puljujarvi is unreal good, and I'd still want a + for proven vs unproven, but puljus talent is right up there with #13 imo

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
No, I wouldn't. I really like Bennett and am higher than most on Puljujarvi so it's a tough call. But we are set up really nicely for the future with Monahan and Bennett as our 1-2 punch down the middle.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Narp. New shiny toy =/= old shiny toy.

Bennett has the tools to be Calgary's best forward in a couple seasons. I like Pulj, but you don't move a centre like Bennett unless it's truly, truly needed.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Bennett had as good of a rookie season as Monahan did, but Bennett is faster and more skilled in my opinion. As good as Monahan is, Bennett is going to be better as he fills out and gets stronger.

I have no doubt Puljujarvi is very talented, but Bennett is a keeper. Plus center is the more important position on top of every thing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad