Proposal: Would you trade for McDavid?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It’s a gong show in Edmonton. Unless serious changes are made, again, I can’t see how either McDavid or Drail don’t ask for a trade sometime in the future.

Would you trade for McDavid…IF…the package had to include two of Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad? Real life scenario, so obviously the cap has to be taken into consideration.

Stanley Cup Boundd

Sep 17, 2018
It’s a gong show in Edmonton. Unless serious changes are made, again, I can’t see how either McDavid or Drail don’t ask for a trade sometime in the future.

Would you trade for McDavid…IF…the package had to include two of Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad? Real life scenario, so obviously the cap has to be taken into consideration.
No, you’d be breaking up our core and imo, we’re just starting to put it all together. I think the bigger question is when do we remove the interim tag from Brunette and extend him!

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Would I trade for McDavid? Absolutely. Would I trade for two of Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad? Absolutely not.

He's the most talented offensive threat on the planet right now and would probably be even better with a change of scenery, but the level of separation between him and those three isn't great enough to warrant losing two of our most important pieces of our core when we're already firing on all cylinders offensively.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Watching the highlights this morning and listening to his postgame presser after the team blew a 3-1 lead to the last place Ottawa Senators last night, he sounded like he was going to cry.
No offense to emotional people, but I don't want that kind of leader on this team.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We score enough goals as it is already, why downgrade from a perennial Selke candidate to a notorious cherry picker (yes, I'm well aware that McDavid scores in other ways, but that's the impression he always leaves me with, flying the zone the first chance he gets)?

Makes no sense. I wouldn't do the trade even if it was 1 for 1.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m gonna say it, and some people will probably crucify me on the spot, but I wouldn’t trade Barky for McDavid straight up.

I can explain, but I also think a lot of people here agree and have the same reasons I do.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Gonna pour some cold water over the hot takes here.

McDavid is better and more valuable than any player we have on our team, and is an upgrade over all of our centres.

With that said, the cost would be incredibly high. If the team is going to spend big assets, it needs to be on the blueline. And even then, we just need blueline depth.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Panthers are the 31st of 32 valuable franchises in the NHL. They might be succeeding on the ice but hockey is a business.
They put fans in the stands but need to charge more than $5 a ticket. And absolutely nobody buys a Barkov jersey
Even if they don’t win a game for the rest of the season, trading for McDavid is a financial win no matter how much of the core they need to gut.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Panthers are the 31st of 32 valuable franchises in the NHL. They might be succeeding on the ice but hockey is a business.
They put fans in the stands but need to charge more than $5 a ticket. And absolutely nobody buys a Barkov jersey
Even if they don’t win a game for the rest of the season, trading for McDavid is a financial win no matter how much of the core they need to gut.
Thanks for your opinion.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

Wander

May 12, 2014

I know some people who own a Barkov jersey.

But of course McDavid is more valuable than any single player in the Panthers. Still, trading two of Ekblad/Barkov/Huberdeau would be an absolutely terrible trade.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I own a barkov jersey.

I own a Canucks jersey.

I own a Fedorov.

I don't own an Oilers jersey.

Chance I own a mcdavid is even less after his it is what it is Evander Kane episode lol

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
As far as would I trade for McDavid?

We would need to rehaul the pieces again. The cap change would change the scenery a bit. And also the roles. I wouldn't have McDavid killing penalties at all, and 3 of the pieces mentioned do that.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Imagine if the Panthers were able to get McDavid without trading Barky?

The Panthers would then have the best second line Center in the league in McDavid.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Your knowledge of our team is truly remarkable. Tell us more, Professor.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Dumbest take I've ever read in my life. Nobody in South Florida knows who McDavid is and Canadian fans would call him a sellout if he came here. Zero business upside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Watching the highlights this morning and listening to his postgame presser after the team blew a 3-1 lead to the last place Ottawa Senators last night, he sounded like he was going to cry.
No offense to emotional people, but I don't want that kind of leader on this team.

Yup, it basically comes down to the ability to lead. McJesus will figure it out eventually that increasing his points-per-game stat will not solve Oilers' issues. Barkov is way ahead of him in this category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad