Would you trade Eichel for 2022 1st OA?

Shane Wright for Jack Eichel

• Total voters

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
As of right now, probably not. Too much can happen in a year. But if Wright has an amazing season next year like expected, then I might give it a shot.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
If Im Buffalo, yeah Ill take Wright.... I mean Eichel will be 7 years into his career by then and still making $11M into his 30s.

Unless youre a team whos window is closing fast and still a contender, then take Eichel.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wright looks like he could be scoring goals in the NHL right now. I don't see much risk in going with him, and a lot of upside. He figures to be a 90 pt type of player. He might need a bit of a ramp up but the $9m salary difference during his ELC makes up for that.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If your Buffalo you do that trade right now all day. Especially with eichel voicing frustration with the team, add in eichel has some behaviour issues, there is real baggage there. And as already pointed out, 7 yrs of cost control vs 5 and the cap difference of 9 million for the first 3 years. It’s almost like a redo for Buffalo, and a redo is what they need.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If your Buffalo you do that trade right now all day. Especially with eichel voicing frustration with the team, add in eichel has some behaviour issues, there is real baggage there. And as already pointed out, 7 yrs of cost control vs 5 and the cap difference of 9 million for the first 3 years. It’s almost like a redo for Buffalo, and a redo is what they need.

If Eichel is out for pretty long, I doubt, he'll be traded before next summer, so Buffalo will be able to offer him for 2022 1st OA. Of course, if the 1st OA doesn't go to Buffalo...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Imagine if Detroit got tired of losing with Yzerman and traded him for 1st overall in 1993.

Do you mean, got tired of losing in playoffs? I bet, Buffalo fans wouldn't mind to get tired of the same thing too.

Still, why not trading Yzerman for 1991 1st OA?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Do you mean, got tired of losing in playoffs? I bet, Buffalo fans wouldn't mind to get tired of the same thing too.

Still, why not trading Yzerman for 1991 1st OA?

I don't think Quebec would have made that trade one for one. The hype for Lindros was insane, whereas Wright is closer to Daigle hype levels.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
What is going on with Eichel's neck? Last I heard it was a pretty serious issue that needed a procedure that has never been done to another NHLer before. If true, that sounds like a lot of risk for a player with a massive contract (both in Buff keeping him to pass on the 1OA, or a team trading for him). Until further educated on the extent of the injury, I'd go with Wright.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Im a big fan of prospects, as much as the next guy..

but its an NHL thing that no other sport experiences. This phenomena that NHL fans want prospects over proven talent

Im not arguing against or for Eichel or Wright, by the way. However in what sport would the fans say 'Yeah, I dont want a player aged 24-25 in their prime whos scoring at a high clip and is considered top-10 at their position... give me the prospect whos of the same ilk and lets spend another 2-3 years developing him and hope he gets to be as good as what we just traded'

again, im the same as you all and in NJ id take Wright over Eichel.. but its certainly funny to look at because not one single sport would play it this way, minus a Lebron James showing up again in the NBA. And even then you can sign a winning team in free agency, so its a different way to rebuild.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
That’s because a superstar in the nba has more impact than a superstar in the nhl. Then there’s the cap implications....

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I don't think Quebec would have made that trade one for one. The hype for Lindros was insane, whereas Wright is closer to Daigle hype levels.

Daigle is the reason there's a draft lottery. He was as hyped as any player in history.

Reactions: Voight

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Daigle is the reason there's a draft lottery. He was as hyped as any player in history.

Bowness & the Senators tanking for him was the reason. It wasn't that simple though. Bettman had just come in & the league was looking for a way to award the bottom teams as well as the expansion teams with a high pick, instead of arbitrarily saying "these new teams aren't getting Lindros" or "these teams can have Yashin & Hamrlik".

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wright looks like the real deal to me. I'd take 7 years of cost-controlled Wright over 5 years of Eichel.

Pretty much this and also Eichel's future health is a risky proposition given his track record so far.

Also this isn't a knock on Eichel at all but in a salary cap NHL and age and criteria explained here that's why I take Wright.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Depends, If I finished last and the team is going through a scorched earth rebuild I'd take the first overall. If I somehow landed the first overall with a competitive team on the verge of being a contender, then I'd take Eichel.

Comes down to where the team is at the moment.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Depends, If I finished last and the team is going through a scorched earth rebuild I'd take the first overall. If I somehow landed the first overall with a competitive team on the verge of being a contender, then I'd take Eichel.

Comes down to where the team is at the moment.

I was coming in to say this. If you were lucky enough to jump 10 spots and draft #1 overall (so you were close to a playoff spot) and on the tail end of your rebuild/starting to contend and had the money you take Eichel. This is under the assumption he is fully healthy and is playing at his best, since he'll have a season to prove this. If you were one of the worst teams and got the #1, continue with the rebuild and let Wright develop with your core.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
In a heartbeat Id take Wright over Eichel.

Jack has serious neck and attitude problems. Insane talent but teams are going to learn in a hurry that if you pay someone 10m a year - he better be a damn fine one with perfect health, and great chemistry on your roster. And a high compete level/winning attitude if you actually plan to win someday..

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad