Would you trade Cowen

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
For Luke Schenn as a sens fan i would think HARD and might do it..Who has the higher ceiling or are they alot alike yes i know Schenn has played 200+ games but can Cowen become the better player??

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Luke Schenn will always be the superior defensive player, Cowen has more offensive upside but it's still Schenn easy.

Why make this thread?

Madic

May 21, 2008
Why make this thread?
Added trolling opportunities! We've already got a half dozen Leafs prospect versus threads, why not more!

And, because I've somehow piqued my own interest in the thread...would I from an Ottawa perspective? No. Cowen's confident again, keep him.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Leafs dont consider this at all.

Ottawa probably doesnt consider this until they see what cowen looks like in the NHL next season.

KingJet*

I might, I'm not really high on Cowen, no matter what I wouldn't select him

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
no i wouldn't make that trade. not because i think schenn is worse but purely because i think we are 2-3 years behind the leafs in the rebuilding cycle and would like the younger, cheaper player.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Schenn is already a very good NHL defenseman. No-brainer here... Sens would do it in an instant, and Leafs would not even consider it. There's just no risk factor in Schenn. No matter how much you might decide to like Cowen as a prospect, the reality is that he's "just a prospect"... he still has steps to take to get to Schenn's level, and until he actually takes them, you can't be sure that he ever will.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If Cowen reaches his full potential, I don't see him being a whole lot better than Schenn (if at all). Factor in the uncertainty and this is a no-brainer yes for Ottawa and a no-brainer no for Toronto. The chances that a prospects develops to his full potential is slim. I think Cowen will be a good NHLer, but I think Schenn will be better now and in the long run.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
of course Ott would do it.

Think of the marketing.

"Ottawa Schennators"

finally Bryan Murray will be saying it right.

=P

Pyke*

As a Sens fan:
-The Leaf's obviously would not do this.

-The Senator's might consider it.... I don't know if they'd make the deal. Obviously Schenn has proven more, and almost always my mantra is proven > not proven... but Cowen is pretty much can't miss due to his combination of size, skating, and the fact he's recovered completely from his injury. The only question in my mind is whether he's a top 4 pair defender or top pair.

I feel like with this kind of prospect, you don't take the risk of dealing him. It's very rare to trade these kinds of players.

vezna*

why would leafs trade their future franchise dman for an unproven prospect? lol

Arian

Jun 30, 2008
Toronto
schenn has been great and has proven he can play well in the nhl. he was drafted only a year before cowen... proven 21 year old nhl player> 20 year old prospect.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
i would not trade schenn for cowen EVER. if any sens fan say they would rather keep cowen then they have no idea what they are talking about, ive watched the last two IIHF world juniors and Cowen looks more like komisarek, always caughing up the puck and never being physical

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Toronto wouldn't consider it.

Ottawa probably wouldn't do it either.

- Schenn's ELC is done and if recent RFA contracts are any indication... won't be making all that much less than a UFA deal.... and he'll be a UFA 3 years earlier too.

- how many RD does Ottawa need?
RD: Karlsson, Rundblad, Gonchar, B.Lee, Carkner, Gryba, Shira, Wideman, Aneloski
both: Wiercioch
LD: Phillips, Cowen, Kuba (UFA2012)

Why would we trade Cowen for another right D-man?

Pyke*

i would not trade schenn for cowen EVER. if any sens fan say they would rather keep cowen then they have no idea what they are talking about, ive watched the last two IIHF world juniors and Cowen looks more like komisarek, always caughing up the puck and never being physical

As an aside, I'll give you a slightly more in depth response:

Who is better today (March 3rd, 2011): Luke Schenn
Who has proven more today (March 3rd, 2011): Luke Schenn
Would the Toronto Maple Leafs make the trade today (March 3rd, 2011): No
Would the Ottawa Senators make the trade today (March 3rd, 2011): Probably not.

Jared Cowen was drafted by Ottawa 9th overall in the draft that you guys picked Nazem Kadri. He was drafted coming off a very serious knee injury, one that caused his draft ranking to fall from the top 3 (where he was rated pre-season) to top 10. The concern was whether he would have lasting effects from his injury. It was, very much a high risk/high reward pick.

Jared Cowen was invited to the World Junior camp in 2010, and made the team. He was only just returning from his knee injury. At that point, his injury had happened 11 months prior. The injury is one where you realistically take a full year to recover, even at that age. He played hurt, and was not very good. It didn't help that the coach had limited confidence in him.

He returned to juniors after that, and finished out the year. Worked on his strength training all summer (the first summer since the draft he was able to do this), and arrived in camp in great shape this season. He could have made the opening roster. Bryan Murray felt it would be bad for his development though, since Cowen had missed a year. If Ottawa had similar policies to teams like the Panthers or Islanders, then maybe Cowen would only have developed into Komisarek. In an ideal world, he'd have gone to the AHL, but he still had junior eligibility, so he was sent back.

Cowen has 40ish points in 48ish games; including 15ish goals. He's been very good in the WHL this season with the Spokane Chiefs. He's the team Captain. He was invited to the World Juniors again, and many commentators (TSN, etc.) spoke highly of his defensive game. Up until the Russia game, I don't believe a single even strength goal was scored against while he was on the ice.

So now we have this 6'5, fully healthy 235 lbs defensive prospect who can skate, shows offensive prowess (that already exceeds Schenn's), and will complement our star player (Karlsson) by being able to shadow and protect him.... There's really no reason to upset the apple cart to upgrade to Schenn. What we give up in potential ceiling, in my view, is not made up for in Schenn's admittedly impressive skill-set as a solid No. 2 shutdown guy (like Adam Foote, except better skater).

Last edited by a moderator:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
So now we have this 6'5, fully healthy 215 lbs defensive prospect who can skate, shows offensive prowess (that already exceeds Schenn's), and will complement our star player (Karlsson) by being able to shadow and protect him.... There's really no reason to upset the apple cart to upgrade to Schenn. What we give up in potential ceiling, in my view, is not made up for in Schenn's admittedly impressive skill-set as a solid No. 2 shutdown guy (like Adam Foote, except better skater).

He's 235.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Are you a leafs fan by any chance? :laugh:

As a Sens fan... I pretty much agree. I think its not as clear cut for the Sens because Cowen WILL be an NHLer, and I have no clue as to his upside compared to the Sens brass. If they think he can be better than Schenn, which is very possible, I think they don't do the trade because its basically a guarantee that Cowen will be an NHLer at the least. Leafs dont even consider it, its hard to say who would win the trade 5 years down the road but its easy to say that theres basically no chance of this happening

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Fixed. It's early in the morning - and I'm in class so I couldn't double check my memory. :)

Ya just wanted to make it clear to people there's a reason he isn't a speed demon. He'd be one of the bigger players in the NHL at 19, his coordination will definitely improve into his young 20s....and so will his size up to around 250.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Fixed. It's early in the morning - and I'm in class so I couldn't double check my memory. :)

Also I know you meant this, but to anyone who's confused... By OHL he meant AHL

Pretty good post Pyke, even though I think I might trade Cowen for Schenn- you brought up pretty much every argument I had against it.

TheBigE

Apr 2, 2009
How is Cowen's 'offensive prowess' already better than Schenns? Cowen plays in the WHL ffs. It's not like Schenn is like Hal Gill on the puck, he's great for a defensive defense man and can make a good outlet pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad