Would you trade Cowen

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I am a Sens fan, and I would love it if Cowen could be as good as Schenn. Schenn is miles ahead of Cowen, and will remain so for at least 2 years.

Cowen's offensive games will not translate to the NHL (IMO), I see him as being a Big Rig v2.0, and that is fine by me.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I am a Sens fan, and I would love it if Cowen could be as good as Schenn. Schenn is miles ahead of Cowen, and will remain so for at least 2 years.

Cowen's offensive games will not translate to the NHL (IMO), I see him as being a Big Rig v2.0, and that is fine by me.

I think he's going to be what Chris Phillips was/is to Ottawa but add 30 pounds and 8-10 mph on his slap shot. For a big guy, Phillips has a weak slap shot, it's part of the reason he barely creates any offense with it. I doubt that Cowen will be a PP guy from the point, but he's already one of the hardest shooters in junior. When the WHL poll comes out he may win the hardest shot poll, he finished 4th or something last year.

His skating will probably be about at Phillips' level, which is good, not outstanding...but consider the weight difference.

I think he'll be a defensive matchup guy and a #1 unit PKer. I think he'll be a professional and loyal.

I think I'd take Schenn over him for the long haul. But there is a lot of upside in Cowen that could take longer to emerge, but Schenn is the sure thing.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
no i wouldn't make that trade. not because i think schenn is worse but purely because i think we are 2-3 years behind the leafs in the rebuilding cycle and would like the younger, cheaper player.

That's ridiculous. Schenn is a sure thing and barely older. Of course you make that trade if you're Ottawa.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Really hard to say. If the offer was a young, stud forward prospect, then I think the Sens would have to think about it long and hard, but Cowen's got the X factor. The guy you want on the ice with a minute left and a 1 goal lead. Like many have said, he seems to be another Chris Phillips, but possibly with an offensive upside - and that's a good thing for this franchise considering we have Karlsson, Rundblad and Wiercioch in the system - none of which play a very safe defensive game.

I doubt the Sens do it in the long run, we were really lucky to get him at 9 - and that should pretty much be blessing enough to run with it and see how he translates his game to the NHL.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Two very similar players, except one is doing it in the NHL and one is doing it in the WHL. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
How is Cowen's 'offensive prowess' already better than Schenns? Cowen plays in the WHL ffs. It's not like Schenn is like Hal Gill on the puck, he's great for a defensive defense man and can make a good outlet pass.

Yeah, I don't really see it either. Schenn is a decent puck handler/passer and looks ahead of Cowen in that department. Cowen probably has a better shot, but we're not talking about guys who will be PP stars, puck movement is more important to their offensive games.

TheBigE

Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, I don't really see it either. Schenn is a decent puck handler/passer and looks ahead of Cowen in that department. Cowen probably has a better shot, but we're not talking about guys who will be PP stars, puck movement is more important to their offensive games.

exactly

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How about a better question: who do you see being the better defenceman at their peak? Schenn or Cowen?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

As an aside, I'll give you a slightly more in depth response:

Who is better today (March 3rd, 2011): Luke Schenn
Who has proven more today (March 3rd, 2011): Luke Schenn
Would the Toronto Maple Leafs make the trade today (March 3rd, 2011): No
Would the Ottawa Senators make the trade today (March 3rd, 2011): Probably not.

Whaaaaaaaa?:whaaa?:

SensFan2010

May 26, 2010
How about a better question: who do you see being the better defenceman at their peak? Schenn or Cowen?

Cowen has higher ceiling but Schenn has already proven himself at the highest level. If Cowen can improve his puck-handling skills he could be better, atleast offensively.

TheBigE

Apr 2, 2009
Cowen has higher ceiling but Schenn has already proven himself at the highest level. If Cowen can improve his puck-handling skills he could be better, atleast offensively.

I disagree. Cowen is decent enough offensively in the WHL, but i don't think it will translate into his NHL game. He has a great slapshotbut i see him more as a surefire top 4 shutdown d-man, with a max potential as a #2 shut-down d-man.

edit: WHich is where i see Shenn tbh, but i think Schenn has a better shot to reach that level.

Pyke*

I disagree. Cowen is decent enough offensively in the WHL, but i don't think it will translate into his NHL game. He has a great slapshotbut i see him more as a surefire top 4 shutdown d-man, with a max potential as a #2 shut-down d-man.

edit: WHich is where i see Shenn tbh, but i think Schenn has a better shot to reach that level.

Most scouts - both pre and post-draft, would disagree with you.

Without a knee injury, Cowen is a top 3 talent in a class that included Tavares, Hedman and Duchene.

It's debatable how much the knee injury set him back. It's not really debatable that he has the potential still though.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think I would as a Sens fan. Logically, yes, it would be a steal for Ottawa. However, as a Sens fan we've invested two years in seeing Cowen develop so it would be hard to do this trade without seeing what he can do at the NHL level. I'm intrigued, basically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad