Would you take Hamilton over Strome?

OrangeZebra

Unregistered User
Mar 3, 2011
New York
After watching last night's game against the B's, I really think they have a gem in Hamilton. At worst, I think he will be a top 4 guy, with his ceiling being an all-star top pairing defender. But that begs the question, would you, with hindsight being 20/20, would you take Dougie Hamilton over Ryan Strome? Given our deep depth at center, I'm personally leaning towards Hamilton.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I'd like to think we got Strome when we had a chance at grabbing our 2C, and Reinhart in a defensively rich draft where there weren't many impressive forwards to be had in the top 10.

Hamilton is very impressive though. Bring this thread back in a few seasons and we'll see if we should be kicking ourselves or satisfied with taking Strome over Dougie. It's too early to tell.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd like to think we got Strome when we had a chance at grabbing our 2C, and Reinhart in a defensively rich draft where there weren't many impressive forwards to be had in the top 10.

Hamilton is very impressive though. Bring this thread back in a few seasons and we'll see if we should be kicking ourselves or satisfied with taking Strome over Dougie. It's too early to tell.

You're right it is too early to tell.

Hamilton looks very good, but with one kid in juniors and the other playing well in the NHL, it's kind of an unfair question. Can we wait until both are in the NHL?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'd still take Hamilton based on need, but at least Strome is keeping up. Nino's trade demand also helps to elevate Strome as we may be looking at one less top forward prospect in the stable soon.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I was a big Hamilton guy at that draft, but I had Strome right behind him. Better to make a judgement on who's better when they've both had a couple of NHL seasons under their belt. I'm still a fan of Hamilton, but high end center prospects like Strome are in short supply. Strome gets labeled as an offensive whiz, he's rounding out his complete guy and isn't a train wreck in his own zone.

The presence of Reinhart in the system makes the Strome over Hamilton much more palatable. We'll just have to wait and see, but both look like good ones.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd still take Hamilton based on need, but at least Strome is keeping up. Nino's trade demand also helps to elevate Strome as we may be looking at one less top forward prospect in the stable soon.

Honestly, it would shock the heck out of me if Snow bends to Nino's trade demands.

Snow's just a stubborn guy. Even in cases where the press gives him and the isles a beating, he sticks to his guns.

In the Nino situation, he's actually got respected members of the press like Campbell and McKenzie, throwing the isles props for their stance.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
The presence of Reinhart in the system makes the Strome over Hamilton much more palatable. We'll just have to wait and see, but both look like good ones.

I agree with this, It really depends how good Reinhart is. I think Reinhart may be a better shutdown guy then Hamilton. Hamilton right now is way better offensively then Reinhart, which troubles me. If Reinhart improves his offensive game, the gap could close and Reinhart could end up being a better all-around player. Only time will tell.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I wanted dougie hamilton when they were drafting, but I think they will both be very good players in this league. Hopefully strome could be #2 center which we need. I wish we had both lol.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Honestly, it would shock the heck out of me if Snow bends to Nino's trade demands.

Snow's just a stubborn guy. Even in cases where the press gives him and the isles a beating, he sticks to his guns.

In the Nino situation, he's actually got respected members of the press like Campbell and McKenzie, throwing the isles props for their stance.
I wouldn't call the Isles blameless in this by a long shot but going to the press and calling the GM names and asking for him to be fired... Nino loses my sympathy, and hiding behind his agent just makes me side with the Isles even more for it.

If Snow trades Nino, and I don't see how he keeps him now, I expect it to follow the route of Jack Johnson in LA. It will be on Snow's timetable, and it will still hold the chance Nino can change the mood over time, but 95% chance he is gone at some point for a return need being filled.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I wouldn't call the Isles blameless in this by a long shot but going to the press and calling the GM names and asking for him to be fired... Nino loses my sympathy, and hiding behind his agent just makes me side with the Isles even more for it.

If Snow trades Nino, and I don't see how he keeps him now, I expect it to follow the route of Jack Johnson in LA. It will be on Snow's timetable, and it will still hold the chance Nino can change the mood over time, but 95% chance he is gone at some point for a return need being filled.

Calling Snow names and saying he should be fired? Where did you hear this?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I

Snow is the same gm that shrugged off blacklisting Botta.
Shrugged off the team's attempt, to erase LaFontaine's past with the team.

Ignored calls from the press and fans to waive Nabby, so he could join Detroit.

Snow's the same guy who has ignored the very public begging, from Vis and his agent.

I don't see Snow being swayed by fans, saying he's mistreating Nino. With the KHL not allowing NHLers to play in the KHL, it's not like Nino has options other then waiting for an injury or next season's NYI camp.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Snow is the same gm that shrugged off blacklisting Botta.
Shrugged off the team's attempt, to erase LaFontaine's past with the team.

Ignored calls from the press and fans to waive Nabby, so he could join Detroit.

Snow's the same guy who has ignored the very public begging, from Vis and his agent.

I don't see Snow being swayed by fans, saying he's mistreating Nino. With the KHL not allowing NHLers to play in the KHL, it's not like Nino has options other then waiting for an injury or next season's NYI camp.

I see it differently. He took Botta's comments personally and cut him out for it. I see Nino having made this personal as well with his agent's comments saying Garth needs to be fired.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I see it differently. He took Botta's comments personally and cut him out for it. I see Nino having made this personal as well with his agent's comments saying Garth needs to be fired.

Botta wasn't the isles top prospect, due only $900,000 in base salary.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Botta wasn't the isles top prospect, due only $900,000 in base salary.

I can't argue that, but let's leave the book open. I think the Lombardi-Johnson saga has a high degree chance of happening now with Nino which cements Strome's value to the club, which is what we were chewing over originally.

Of course, once Petrov gets here it is all over for Strome. :sarcasm:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I can't argue that, but let's leave the gate open. I think the Lombardi-Johnson saga has a high degree chance of happening now with Nino which cements Strome's value to the club, which is what we were chewing over originally.

Of course, once Petrov gets here it is all over for Strome. :sarcasm:

Fixed

:sarcasm:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I wanted Hamilton at the draft and nothing either have done have really changed that opinion. Although I am very pleased with Strome's development and definitely not complaining about having him in the system.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Its easy to go with Hamilton now but if Strome reaches his ful potential we could be looking at an Eberle/Spezza type player....

In a few years we will know for sure..

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Of course it is too early to tell. However, how often is it force fed that defenders usually take longer to develop?

Now we are seeing Dougie, from the same draft class, come into the NHL and log serious minutes for a very high end team in the NHL.

AT THIS POINT, I fore one have to give Dougie the slight lead in the race over Strome here.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I think a big reason the islanders picked Strome was that he is friends with Tavares. The islanders seem to like to keep him happy and im sure Tavares put in a good word.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Both are rated high quality likely to succeed.
Hamilton has giev us a very small glipse of his NHL qualifications but that doesn't guaranty he will be what it appears he will be. Remember Chris Kreider in last years SC playoffs?

Between Strome and Hamilton, I wanted hamilton and if I had a re-do today without having seen Hamiliton in he few games with Boston, I would still take him ver Strome.
The clincher for he is that what is hold Dtrome back, may continue to hold him back is size. That is something that Hamilton will not have to concern himself with, he is already a big NHL sized body. Everything else being equal, that is the tiebreaker for Hamilton. Garth didn't see it that way.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Given what we had back the. Hamilton... Given what we have in the pipelines for D now, Strome is now the right choice... If that makes any sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad