Speculation: Would you take Austin Watson back?

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
If he's ready and mentally good to go, sure. I'd rather have Austin Watson the person have a good life even if it means stepping away from the game. He's got a young family and I want him to be healthy and enjoy a long life.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I have no idea why Watson had to go to rehab. There is an issue there the NHL and/or the Preds organization thought he needed to deal with. Addictions are no joke. I watched my mother become a bigger alcoholic as I got older and then watched her stay off of it for the last 6 months of her life because of cancer. I was told by doctors 20 or so years ago to limit my drinking due to a viral disease I had. I just finished up a treatment that should have me cleared from this virus. It scares the ever living crap out of me that I can now drink on a regular basis without the fear of doing serious damage to my liver from the virus but also knowing my family history of alcoholism. Addictions are a disease and no matter how strong a person you think you are, the addiction will usually win unless you get the help and support you need.

I'm super proud of everyone who's told us of their addictions and overcoming them in this thread. I wish Watson and his family all the good and positive thoughts from myself and everyone around here. At the end of the day, hockey is just a game. His life and happiness is much more important. If he gets to don a Preds jersey again, I hope he does so with a new focus on life and that he takes his journey one day at a time and that if he needs help, he's not afraid to reach out to get it. That goes for anyone around here. We may be a big dysfunctional family, but we're still a family.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
There are a few ways to look at this. If his job is what leads him to abuse then he does need to stay away until he is strong enough. If him being at his job helps him from abusing then he needs to do what is best and that will help him with his addiction. The good book say's what about being idle "Idle hands are the devil’s workshop". Maybe keeping him busy is a good thing.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
There are a few ways to look at this. If his job is what leads him to abuse then he does need to stay away until he is strong enough. If him being at his job helps him from abusing then he needs to do what is best and that will help him with his addiction. The good book say's what about being idle "Idle hands are the devil’s workshop". Maybe keeping him busy is a good thing.
They always say the worst thing an addict can have is time and money. He certainly has the money, but I'm guessing everyone handles that struggle and/or recovery in their own different, and hopefully successful, way. Tootoo was a perfect example of someone who had the resolve to abstain while still going out and being with the team. He said he told the guys to be themselves and if he got uncomfortable he'd just leave. Not everyone can pull that off. Whatever happens I wish Watson the best in life.

Reactions: Adz

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I once heard an interview with the guitarist from Def Leopard talking about when he quit drinking he had to just quit going out and doing things because he couldn't be that social drinker. As he put it it would be a glass of wine, bottle of wine, fifth of Jack Daniels.

Every one is different, just gotta figure it out.

Reactions: LCPreds

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
It doesn't matter to me what he got into trouble for. What matters is he put the team in a bad spot for 2 times now and he's not that great. The risk doesn't match the reward.

I wouldn't take him back. It's a hockey team, not baby sittiing.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Apparently Watson is now listed as "available status", whatever that means.
He's in follow up care phase of program
No further comment from preds

Reactions: Drake744

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My assumption (we all know how productive that is) is that he's eligible to play but won't until he feels he's ready, which he isn't yet. I'm guessing it's just him out of rehab, keeping in touch with the league regarding that, and being able to practice.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i imagine he plays in the playoffs. we know sports are all about winning regardless of how classy this organization is. if he has the green light on all fronts, i suspect we see him maybe for a game or 2 at the end of the regular season or in the playoffs after an injury or 2 hits.

Reactions: predhead1

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
I'm also guessing if hes indeed ready to go by the POs that him and Grimaldi will rotate given the matchups that are laid out before us. Seems like the logical thing to do as much as I love Rocco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad