Speculation: Would you take Austin Watson back?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
From what I remember, rehab for alcohol treatment lasts 3 months. Watson might , and I only says be out in March. IF, and only IF, he's in hockey shape and ready to play, would you take him on the playoff roster?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Assuming he's done what he's supposed to do, yes. I don't really want to get rid of him based solely on substance abuse. I'm assuming that's "all" it was and nothing additional.

Reactions: Tex76

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'd rather they not even be thinking about this til the off-season. Staying in game shape and returning to hockey should be the last thing on Watson's mind and I assume the org feels the same way. From a position of trusting Watson to be brought back into the team, show you can keep your shit together til the beginning of next season for it to even be a consideration.

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
I don't see much room for him at RW with Simmonds there. Does he play LW at all? Maybe with an injury or two he has a spot again.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Id definitely want him back but I dont think it would be right to rush him in. Getting sober and staying sober is hard enough with out the stress of being in playoff shape. Id like to see him back for next season but that just might not happen who knows

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I really doubt we see him this season. We already gave him a 2nd chance so he'll be on his 3rd and possibly last chance next season which is the last year of his contract. I want him to get sober and stay sober and not worry about hockey now. We'll see what happens over the summer and hopefully be back for next season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think if Poike thought he would be back this season he probably doesn't trade for Simmonds, but then again could be wrong.

I'd be fine having him back, but he needs to get things straight first. If part of that is getting back to playing hockey then so be it.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
He blew his second chance knowing the gravity of his situation and has proven, unfortunately, that he can't be counted on. You can't hold a roster spot not knowing if a player will be available due to off ice issues.

Reactions: KurtAngle

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I trust David Poile to make that decision. If he feels that Watson deserves a spot if/when he's ready then I can't really argue with that. And if he doesn't think Watson is right for the team going forward then I'm with him there too.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He blew his second chance knowing the gravity of his situation and has proven, unfortunately, that he can't be counted on. You can't hold a roster spot not knowing if a player will be available due to off ice issues.
Here's where I'm kind of torn. When I hear that he "blew his second chance", in my head I'm thinking he was arrested again. That's not what happened. To my knowledge no one really knows what led to this. Did he violate a probation of some kind by drinking? Did he voluntarily go to rehab? If it's the latter I don't consider him to have blown an opportunity.

If you listen to Jordin Tootoo on the Barstool Spittin Chiclets podcast he's extremely open about how Poile specifically looked out for him and got him to rehab.(by the way after listening to him on there there's no way in the world he was serious about his remarks when he was in Chicago. He spent the better part of 30 minutes praising this organization.) Anyway, Watson may be another example of that, I don't know. But we didn't chastise Toots over it. I just feel like this and his arrest are two separate issues and shouldn't be linked. But maybe I'm missing information.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Drake I fully agree with what you wrote and the fact is that we’re all missing information.

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
To me, guys like him and Sissons were totally indispensable to our run in '17. Simmonds and Boyle leave little room for him now, but we probably won't have them both by this time next season, so I'd love to see Watson on the straight and narrow by then.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
100% though I doubt it will happen this spring. Possibly be back for next season.

Alcoholism is a disease, "blowing his second chance" doesn't really apply because often times relapse is a part of rehabilitation. If you have ever had any close friends or family it's a really sad thing and I've watched it destroy lives of people who wanted nothing more than to beat it but just couldn't.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Quitting anything can be hard, God knows I need to put this smokeless tobacco down but the last time I quit I gained 30 pounds in 3 months and was miserable the whole time. Some people can just quit, others it takes a few tries at it.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
100% though I doubt it will happen this spring. Possibly be back for next season.

Alcoholism is a disease, "blowing his second chance" doesn't really apply because often times relapse is a part of rehabilitation. If you have ever had any close friends or family it's a really sad thing and I've watched it destroy lives of people who wanted nothing more than to beat it but just couldn't.

It takes an average of 7 relapses to get 'clean' the final time.

Reactions: LCPreds

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I agree, but if we are going with Maslow's hierarchy, there is always a next step.
There is also Erickson and Piaget and Kohlberg's theories which would indicate it's best for the person to make sure the additional stress of a perpetual playoff series doesn't induce a retroactive pattern back into disability

Aside from that, alcohol addiction is about far more than the substance: it's the brain and person's inability to cope as defined by DSM-IV or V as "normal" - lots of people drink heavily, doesn't mean they are addicts... not wanting to turn this into a health vomit ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad