Speculation: Would you take Austin Watson back?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hope he's back soon. I can't say I have any clue what goes on in rehab, but if we just go by the default assumption that it's for alcoholism, I guess I would like to think he should be in BETTER shape than he was before? I mean, what does he do all day otherwise? Exercise and not-drink would seem like a couple of components of a daily plan during recovery? :dunno: Anyway, we could definitely use him on the ice.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Hope he's back soon. I can't say I have any clue what goes on in rehab, but if we just go by the default assumption that it's for alcoholism, I guess I would like to think he should be in BETTER shape than he was before? I mean, what does he do all day otherwise? Exercise and not-drink would seem like a couple of components of a daily plan during recovery? :dunno: Anyway, we could definitely use him on the ice.
This is a lot more than physical shape. His mental shape is what we should really be worried about. Once you're out of rehab you're entering a world full of what got you there in the first place. It's a lot harder than just "not drinking" on a daily basis. There should be no realistic timetable for a return. I don't mean he won't come back, I'm just saying we shouldn't expect him to do so within a certain time.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just because I think Preds Org did something to counteract what they may have perceived as negative PR doesn't mean I have an issue with what they did nor do I think the reinstatement is negative/bad.
Why would it be negative PR? It's not like he is the first player in the league to get sent to rehab.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think most people outside of the hardcore fanbase see this as negative. They don't bother with details, they simply see "Watson" in a headline and mentally associate that with "alcoholic, wife beater". Read any main board discussion on Watson and you'll see it here, and those are hockey obsessed fans who should have the sense to read the actual stories and understand the case. Now imagine how casual fans (which is a much, much larger group) treat Watson news.

Edit: as if on cue, at the breakfast table this morning my grandmother is reading the paper and says "Oh, looks like the Preds are gonna let that Watson play again... I mean, geez, how many chances can this bum get" even though i've explained the situation to her multiple times. To casuals and outside observers, this whole Watson saga is a big negative.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think most people outside of the hardcore fanbase see this as negative. They don't bother with details, they simply see "Watson" in a headline and mentally associate that with "alcoholic, wife beater". Read any main board discussion on Watson and you'll see it here, and those are hockey obsessed fans who should have the sense to read the actual stories and understand the case. Now imagine how casual fans (which is a much, much larger group) treat Watson news.

Edit: as if on cue, at the breakfast table this morning my grandmother is reading the paper and says "Oh, looks like the Preds are gonna let that Watson play again... I mean, geez, how many chances can this bum get" even though i've explained the situation to her multiple times. To casuals and outside observers, this whole Watson saga is a big negative.
And then, if you try to bring in the nuances of what went on (and what we don't really know) you're just seeing your Preds through rose colored glasses. Frustrating but yes, I have run into this, too, with my mother in law. She just sees the headlines and doesn't really want anything more than confirmation of that headline from me.

Reactions: LCPreds and bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

And then you realize if they can't be assed to pay attention to what is going on it doesn't really matter.

It also tells me they don't know a thing about addiction.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Who on tonight’s roster sits if Watson returns? Seems like a tough call now given the trades and everyone healthy.

Nevermind. It’s grimaldi. I didn’t see him until just now.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Trying to manipulate PR in today's society is pointless. People will see what they want and can't be convinced otherwise. We just have to do what's best for him first then if he can help the team so be it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Just a thought, but all this speculation as to whether he did or didn't go voluntarily and stuff (not that it matters because he still went).... didn't his girlfriend also go to rehab at some point recently? Maybe he thought both himself and their family would be better off both doing it. Would make sense, but whatever.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sounds like a humble young man trying to save himself and his family. Certainly not the arrogant entitlement you get from some pro athletes who screw up.

I hope he is sober and has his head screwed on straight. Would be extra pleased if he can get in shape and give us useful minutes in the playoffs. We sure as hell could use him

Reactions: Pred303

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Tells you all you need to know that Watson referred to him as Mr. Poile, and not David or David Poile. Whatever did happen he respects Mr. Poile.

I noticed that, too. I think I've heard Pekka Rinne call him David (once, after that last extension) but it's not atypical for most of the players to call him Mr. Poile. Maybe it's a cultural thing in hockey for the GM to be referred to as Mister to keep that wall up. Or maybe it's just his way. Seems a smart move to me.

Reactions: LCPreds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad