Would you swap 1 year of Jake Gardiner at $4.05m for 2 years of Justin Braun at $3.8m?

Would you swap 1 year of Jake Gardiner at $4.05m for 2 years of Justin Braun at $3.8m?

• Total voters

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Given that San Jose just traded for Karlsson and now has Karlsson, Burns and Braun on the RH side, Braun may be available. San Jose is weaker on the left. We may have trouble extending Gardiner after this season while still adding a top 4 RHD given the Marleau contract and contracts for Matthews and Marner due up after the season.

The cap is slightly less for Braun, with the extra year which solves our problem while Marleau is still under contract, and he is the type of D that we lack at our position of need.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
NO!!

Honestly, Braun is past the point of effectiveness in any other (3rd pairing) minutes. He’s probably a decent 3rd pairing guy but he was actually terrible this season in a more important role. He can’t handle it.

He’s declining, cause he also sucked last year, and it’s visibly a decline. His decline is accelerated because he has always played with Vlasic and he takes the majority of the physical contact that comes from the shutdown D-zone minutes that they play.

Honestly, whoever gets him will regret it. He isn’t the answer to the Leafs problem.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean, why would you not play him with Burns/Karlsson?

Obviously no to the OP though lol.

Cause Vlasic is indisputably better than Gardiner, so he gets to play with Karlsson. And while Gardiner is still a better player than Joakim Ryan (although it’s actually closer than some may know), Joakim Ryan is the perfect partner for Brent Burns, who is delicate and actually does poorly with most partners.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Cause Vlasic is indisputably better than Gardiner, so he gets to play with Karlsson. And while Gardiner is still a better player than Joakim Ryan (although it’s actually closer than some may know), Joakim Ryan is the perfect partner for Brent Burns, who is delicate and actually does poorly with most partners.

Gardiner is closer to Vlasic than you think (Vlasic is obviously better).

Honestly, why don't you guys just play Karlsson/Burns together and shelter the living f*** out of them, and keep Vlasic/Braun playing the most ridiculous minutes money can buy? I know Karlsson doesn't need it, but having those guys in the offensive zone for 15+ 5v5 minutes a game would be ridiculous.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Gardiner is closer to Vlasic than you think (Vlasic is obviously better).

Honestly, why don't you guys just play Karlsson/Burns together and shelter the living **** out of them, and keep Vlasic/Braun playing the most ridiculous minutes money can buy? I know Karlsson doesn't need it, but having those guys in the offensive zone for 15+ 5v5 minutes a game would be ridiculous.

Because defensemen are generally better playing the side that fits their handedness, and because Braun and Vlasic performed terribly in those sheltered minutes this season.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Because defensemen are generally better playing the side that fits their handedness, and because Braun and Vlasic performed terribly in those sheltered minutes this season.

I don't disagree. I just wonder how Karlsson will be in the ridiculous minutes. He's always faced top-pairing comp, he's just never had the DeBoer special.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Understand it from the perspective of the extra year on Braun's contract and being a RHD, but would SJ give up that extra year of contract for a pending UFA? Might suggest they view Gardiner as the better player. Could make more sense in Braun's pending walk year for us, but less so this season IMO.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Understand it from the perspective of the extra year on Braun's contract and being a RHD, but would SJ give up that extra year of contract for a pending UFA? Might suggest they view Gardiner as the better player. Could make more sense in Braun's pending walk year for us, but less so this season IMO.

Honestly, SJ will probably be looking to trade Braun regardless; next year if not this one. With Karlsson and Burns, he (along with literally every single other RD in the NHL) is a 3rd pairing guy on the Sharks, and they would probably look to save $3M on that 3RD spot by replacing Braun with a plague who isn’t paid quite as much.

I think Braun to Toronto could make sense for both sides and I think Braun could still make a nice 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman if he is given the right deployment with the right partner but he and Vlasic take the NHL’s toughest minutes by a fair margin and Braun in particular has been the reason they’ve been absolutely getting crushed. I don’t think Braun is the guy to pair with Morgan Rielly and feed to the wolves although he was that guy in his prime.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Honestly, SJ will probably be looking to trade Braun regardless; next year if not this one. With Karlsson and Burns, he (along with literally every single other RD in the NHL) is a 3rd pairing guy on the Sharks, and they would probably look to save $3M on that 3RD spot by replacing Braun with a plague who isn’t paid quite as much.

I think Braun to Toronto could make sense for both sides and I think Braun could still make a nice 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman if he is given the right deployment with the right partner but he and Vlasic take the NHL’s toughest minutes by a fair margin and Braun in particular has been the reason they’ve been absolutely getting crushed. I don’t think Braun is the guy to pair with Morgan Rielly and feed to the wolves although he was that guy in his prime.

Yesterday's trade definitely gives your team a big-time RHD side and a great chance overall in general. Well done on that. Imagine we'd definitely inquire on Braun to gauge the asking price, even if not to be a complement to Rielly.

Gardiner's a tricky one for me as a pending UFA. Might be better off retaining him until the deadline and then making a move if we don't believe we can win this season and/or want a trade return (and then hopefully have irons in the fire on an offseason addition with some of those assets or others that would be made expendable).

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The time to get rid of Gardiner (if that is the Leafs' plan) is before January 1 at the latest. If you are in a playoff run and try to get rid of him at the deadline it'll by the same BS as last season that we had with Bozak and JVR.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think Gardiner is going to test UFA and his ask will be 6.5 or something so I voted yes.

But I would much rather put together some picks and do it.

member 147413

I don’t think Braun is much of an upgrade over Hainsey, Zaitsev, Carrick or Oz. If anything I think Leafs management is keen on competition in camp and moving guys who may not make the starting roster.

The only guys (in my mind) who have spots on the roster are Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. Some may say Hainsey, but he played a lot last year and is another year older, he should be battling it out with the other guys.

Four of the following will make the team.

Dermott
Hainsey
Carrick
Oz
Holl
Marincin
Rosen
Borgman

From that competition, I have no idea what we’ll see happen, but I think we’ll see some minor trades/swaps.

It would be nice to collect some picks.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
San Jose is much more likely to be looking for affordable quality forward depth if dealing Braun which is where a guy like Connor Brown comes in.

I don't see why the Sharks would be interested in Gardiner. They need a lefty who can actually play D. Offence from the blueline isn't a concern for them with EK and Burns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad