Would you support brining in Gretzky in a front-office capacity?

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
No way.

I'd hope the people running the club would have more respect for Wayne...

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
No... but i would support non-oiler fans keeping bad threads to their own boards and learning how to spell

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't really see what impact if any that should have on the team on the ice. It's not had there not been a reunion suddenly Yakupov magically has 2-3 more goals this year or Eakins would've been able to actually coach a powerplay.

I agree there is no direct relationship; however, it speaks to overall problem of why guys like Lowe and MacT still have a job because reminiscing about the past glory is why the organization remains stuck where it is. There should be no reason to publicly celebrate anything about the Oilers these days at least in an official capacity. If they wanted to celebrate, have Gretzky gather all the guys at his house one weekend in the summer. I just think a public celebration during the current state of this team gives someone like Lowe a boost to his ego that fans will forgive his current follies because they turned out in droves to celebrate what he did 30 years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So they shouldn't be able to celebrate the Cup anniversary because the state of the current team? **** the current team, those guys deserve the opportunity to get together 30 years later, they EARNED it by actually winning something on the ice (novel concept).

Gretzky is too smart to ever get involved with this organization, he would not risk his reputation in the city by coaching or GMing here.

TGO's reputation is already tarnished because of the crap he pulled off in Arizona.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
TGO's reputation is already tarnished because of the crap he pulled off in Arizona.

Yeah, big difference between that and Having a "Gretzky Must Go" billboard up in Edmonton. Wayne would not risk his legacy here like that.

Beyond that both he and Messier have gone soft. Edmonton was fine when they were in their 20s and it was the best team in the league, but they're too used to posh LA and New York to ever come back and coach/GM full time in a frozen Canadian prarie fishbowl.

If Gretzky wants another gig in the NHL it probably will be with the team in Las Vegas.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It is threads like this that reinforce the brutal reality that most some have no clue.

We have daily threads bashing the old boys club. But yet, here is another one suggesting one of the old oilers comes in.

Obviously some people just did not play close enough attention to just what Gretz did in phoenix. He had no clue as a coach and his player decisions off the ice was equally bad

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Sure, he can do whatever it is Bucky has been up to since they kicked him off the bench last summer. :laugh:

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
In no world should Gretzky be in a position that answers to KLowe.

Although 6 rings.....

No

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
**** NO.

Unless you brin in Semenko and Glenn Anderson to help out on the bench, Randy Gregg to the trainers room and Jari as the European scout. Maybe Andy Moog too. Why not.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
**** NO.

Unless you brin in Semenko and Glenn Anderson to help out on the bench, Randy Gregg to the trainers room and Jari as the European scout. Maybe Andy Moog too. Why not.

Fuhr and Moog as goalie coaches
Coffey as skating coach
Semenko. Lumley. Hunter. Hughes and cheerleaders
Gregg as team Doctors (he is alreast qualified for that)
Kurri, Pouzar, Muni, Fogey, Carrol and chartraw to run the power play
Anderson to be the guy that organizes team outings on off days (and off days only were if a player goes missing for 24 hours he wont be missed--just no outings to swimming pools)
Krushelnyski to sing the national anthem

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The one thing I would ask of Wayne, *if* the Oilers land the no.1 overall pick (which I don't think will happen by the way), is I'd ask that he got up to the podium and make the selection.

If will take some heat/embarrassment off of the organization for 10 minutes and let McDavid be drafted with some good will.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
The only OBC member I'd be happy to have would be to bring back Huddy as a defense coach. Definitely liked having him on board, and he'd provide some much-needed guidance and coaching for Jultz.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
The only OBC member I'd be happy to have would be to bring back Huddy as a defense coach. Definitely liked having him on board, and he'd provide some much-needed guidance and coaching for Jultz.

Huddy was like the ultimate threat to Lowe so he had to go. OBC who excels at his job, get that guy outta here!

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No Gretzky, No Messier. No one should get a job that hasn't actually earned it.

Here's a list of GOOD Old Boys Club possibilities.

Billy Ranford as goalie coach. (Currently goalie coach for LA Kings since 2006. He's apparently done a fantastic job working with Quick, Martin Jones... and Ben Scrivens)

Charlie Huddy as defensive coach. (currently coach for the Winnipeg Jets)

Jari Kurri as Assistant GM or European Scout. (currently GM for Jokerit of the KHL)

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
giphy.gif

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
---- NOOOOOOOOO.

I don't want any OBC members at any thing more than a scout for the Oilers , ever again. KLowe has blown that chance for ever.

Proven hockey execs only, please.

Guys like Jason Smith, Ethan Moreau, Doug Weight... Someday, and only if they climb the ladder and earn it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Huddy was like the ultimate threat to Lowe so he had to go. OBC who excels at his job, get that guy outta here!

Lol. No doubt.

It's amazing that KLowe is a guy that relies on his instincts, but his instincts are terrible. This entire mess can all be routed back to his bad calls.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Gretzky's talent assessment were:

Ales Hemsky is the most skilled player in the league.
Daniel Alfredsson should be a 1st ballot HHOF inductee.

What else?

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
By the sounds of it, he actually might have a hand in the possible Vegas expansion.

In general, if there's a position he proves qualified for then sure. But no sympathy/nostalgia hirings.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Gretzky's talent assessment were:

Ales Hemsky is the most skilled player in the league.
Daniel Alfredsson should be a 1st ballot HHOF inductee.

What else?

When Gretzky was a coach I remember him having about two dozen in his top five lists.

gurru991

Dec 14, 2014
Edmonton
Shanahan in TO & Linden in Van in the Prez job have had some success. It seems to attract other people to come to the club. I would be in favour of Gretz as prez as long as Lowe, Mct and all the other hangers on were gone

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
I know that he's a member of the old boys club blah blah blah, but it's Wayne Frickin Gretzky. Him and Messier should have been the only 2 that could ever hold a management position for the Oilers. Even if it's just some fancy made up position it would be great for the city to have Gretzky involved with the team.

This seems shortsighted to say the least.

What happens if the team continues to perform at its current abysmal standard, or only marginally improves? How would it benefit Edmonton, or the team, to have its favourite adopted son tainted by the raging suck that continues to plague this franchise in its current form?

I see a tiny potential upside overshadowed by the colossal spectacle of more failure, along with dragging the name of the Great One into the morass. Why would this even be considered?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad