Would you support brining in Gretzky in a front-office capacity?

Sarke

Feb 6, 2011
Vancouver, BC
www.nhl-stats.com
Non-Oilers fan asking. It seems many teams are bringing in former greats, but Edmonton has already tried this.

Would Gretzky even want to? If so, what would you think he'd require in order to accept the position? He does have experience with the Olympic team and his time as a coach, and does seem to be up to anything hockey-wise.

Or is the concesus to bring in a GM with experience?

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Just what we need, another member of the "Old Boys Club" (albeit the most successful one in terms of on-ice performance) to join the front office. No thanks. His results in a similar capacity in Arizona were abysmal why would they be different with this gong show?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Nope. Unfortunately he's guilty by association, ex-Oilers will forever be looked poorly upon by Oiler Fans when they're put in coaching and management positions in this franchise.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He wouldn't want to be here anyway.

I definitely wouldn't agree with that. Saw him interviewed recently and the question of him ever getting back in the game came up. Sounds like he'd like to but there are no offers out there for him.

If he came back I'd like to see him as head coach. Gretzky would be an interesting choice. A little OBC for many of the posters here, but I think he'd be all right.

Better winning percentage as HC than anyone the Oilers have had since MacT.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I love Gretzky and all he did for the Oilers and hockey in general, but I want him nowhere near this front office. It concerns me that it was Gretzky's idea (and supported by Lowe and friends) to have a 30 year Cup reunion, which was completely tone deaf to current state of the franchise. We need people in management roles that are not reminiscing about past glory and consider what happened in the '80s as credit that can be used to prop themselves up in tough times. Someone that is willing to be judged completely on their current record and not borrowing out-dated ideas from the '80s about how to build a championship caliber team.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
There's no chance of that happening and if it did I'd cry, and not becaues I'd be happy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I love Gretzky and all he did for the Oilers and hockey in general, but I want him nowhere near this front office. It concerns me that it was Gretzky's idea (and supported by Lowe and friends) to have a 30 year Cup reunion, which was completely tone deaf to current state of the franchise. We need people in management roles that are not reminiscing about past glory and consider what happened in the '80s as credit that can be used to prop themselves up in tough times. Someone that is willing to be judged completely on their current record and not borrowing out-dated ideas from the '80s about how to build a championship caliber team.

So they shouldn't be able to celebrate the Cup anniversary because the state of the current team? **** the current team, those guys deserve the opportunity to get together 30 years later, they EARNED it by actually winning something on the ice (novel concept).

Gretzky is too smart to ever get involved with this organization, he would not risk his reputation in the city by coaching or GMing here.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know that he's a member of the old boys club blah blah blah, but it's Wayne Frickin Gretzky. Him and Messier should have been the only 2 that could ever hold a management position for the Oilers. Even if it's just some fancy made up position it would be great for the city to have Gretzky involved with the team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If he punted out the other former Oiler trash that has been dragging down the franchise, I wouldn't complain too much.

But he wouldn't be good at the job with his complete lack of experience, and the organization really needs someone who can put a team together.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
So they shouldn't be able to celebrate the Cup anniversary because the state of the current team? **** the current team, those guys deserve the opportunity to get together 30 years later, they EARNED it by actually winning something on the ice (novel concept).

Gretzky is too smart to ever get involved with this organization, he would not risk his reputation in the city by coaching or GMing here.

Do it in the off season. Not while the organization is getting ready for the start of the hockey season after missing the playoffs for almost a decade. Anyways, Gretzky was the king of the old boys club in Phoenix. He had Fuhr and Coffey set-up in cushy jobs that allowed them to golf more than coach.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
nah. Gretzky wouldn't be involved with an organization like this. It's all covered in the stink of despair.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do it in the off season. Not while the organization is getting ready for the start of the hockey season after missing the playoffs for almost a decade. Anyways, Gretzky was the king of the old boys club in Phoenix. He had Fuhr and Coffey set-up in cushy jobs that allowed them to golf more than coach.

I don't really see what impact if any that should have on the team on the ice. It's not had there not been a reunion suddenly Yakupov magically has 2-3 more goals this year or Eakins would've been able to actually coach a powerplay.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Non-Oilers fan asking. It seems many teams are bringing in former greats, but Edmonton has already tried this.

Would Gretzky even want to? If so, what would you think he'd require in order to accept the position? He does have experience with the Olympic team and his time as a coach, and does seem to be up to anything hockey-wise.

Or is the concesus to bring in a GM with experience?

no more old boys ****ing club--enough is enough

Phoenix got twenty time better after wayne left

great player--horrible hockey management person

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No, the Oilers need to move on from the 80's. MacTavish has talked about how there's a residual effect on the team today from the success of the 80's.. yea, it's because you guys won't leave.

Time to move on.. Gretz can go somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad