Would you support a Laurence Gilman hiring?

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
It was good pick,but at the astronomical price of an elite goaltender...I'll never forget Pierre McGuire saying the Canucks got 'fleeced' on that trade.

They're not respected around the league.?..What evidence is there of that?

I think if you have followed the Canucks at all for the past couple years, you will know.

The Subban fine, Tryamkin contract (the league called him out infront of all of the GM's), things he said on the radio, talking about other players, getting taken advantage of in trades, Corrado/waiver situation... the list goes on.[/QUOTE]

They're mistakes..granted..all GM's make mistakes..It still does not support your theory that they are not respected.?.I'm pretty confident that most of the other NHL executives like and respect Linden and Benning.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
But they've been lousy and would have had higher draft choices without him. More importantly, he turns 30 this year, and having his worst season. By the time they will be ready to compete again he will be past his prime. He probably already is. Horvat will just be entering his. I think Lou had the right idea but the timing for a trade like that was poor.

The timing on our end was pretty much perfect.

Past you're prime at 30..?..Goaltenders can probably play the longest out of any position..It was still a steep price to pay for Horvat.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Past you're prime at 30..?..Goaltenders can probably play the longest out of any position..It was still a steep price to pay for Horvat.

I said by the time they are ready to compete. Are they competing this year? They are 8 points out of a wild card spot.

Yeah, he's probably past his prime at 32 or 33. Just because Luongo was still playing well at 35 does not make that generally untrue.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I'd take him in a heartbeat over the current disaster we've installed at the management level.

Don't really expect he'd want to come back though. He seems too smart for that.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Would I support a Gilman hiring here? Absolutely.
Would Gilman support a Gilman hiring here? He'd probably laugh his ass off and hang up the phone.

xP1vYs5.gif

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take him back, as long as he's coming along with the right other people. I'd rather seem him take over Linden's job as President and hire someone else as the GM to take a more hands-on role in the hockey side.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Yes; however, Jim Benning wouldn't and it doesn't look like he's being fired anytime soon, despite his incompetence.

Posted before, never gets old to me.

One of the best Simpsons clips ever and infinitely applicable to the current mess the Canucks are in. Made even better by Steve Martin doing the voice.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
I certainly wouldn't mind having him back,maybe as an AGM ...He was a very loyal employee..I would not want him as GM though...There is zero record of talent assessment in his track record.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Definitely would want him back. The contract negotiations and salary structure would be a improvement at the very least.

I have doubts he'd come back, but if we see Benning fired and hear he's on the radar I'd be stoked.

Gilman did well in his role while the Canucks were successful.

That said, look at all of the ntc they handed out to get those favorable cap hits. A lot of full ntc, not modified ones.

Hammer, bieksa, Edler, Garrison, burrows all had full ntc.
That can't happen again.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gilman did well in his role while the Canucks were successful.

That said, look at all of the ntc they handed out to get those favorable cap hits. A lot of full ntc, not modified ones.

Hammer, bieksa, Edler, Garrison, burrows all had full ntc.
That can't happen again.

It already has, all be with some modified/limited. Sutter, Eriksson, Tanev, Vrbata, Miller.

NTCs are part of the modern world, all teams are going to have them if you want these guys. Those NTCs didn't stop us trading those players. Hamhuis and Vrbata not being traded was on Benning, not the NTC.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
For President (since that position has evolved even from 5 years ago), I'm thinking we need someone with experience who can oversee the entire operation. Don Maloney comes to mind, who was quite successful relative to the resources he had available and amidst the constant turmoil in Phoenix.

For GM, Gilman is definitely a good candidate. Julien Brisebois has been number one on my list. Someone who doesn't necessarily have to have experience as a GM, but definitely someone who understands analytics, and is smart enough to surround himself with intelligent people.

Gilman would never work with Maloney again, period.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I sure as hell would. One of the smartest heads in hockey, imo. Probably one of the few people who could get us out of this mess.

Also, not that when LV asked for permission to speak with Gilman in the summer, they weren't given permission. I don't know Aquaman personally, but he doesn't strike me as the type to hold onto some extra salary when he could have shed it, unless he has good reason.

I don't get it. Many answered yes without stating the position. Are you saying yes to Gilman being hired as the head coach?

As a capologist I am a fan. As a scout? Hell No (Ballard was partly on him). As GM? I don't know. What is his vision? Did he advise against Gillis when Gillis wanted to become the Bruins?

I would support Gilman being hired as whatever position whose role is that of a capologist who advises on cap implications and CBA rules.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the implication is that he's being hired for a job which he is qualified for, not like dj or whatever

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm for regime change for sure, but I thing a more rigorous search than " we know this guy, we liked him and he's quite articulate with the public and media" is required.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
the implication is that he's being hired for a job which he is qualified for, not like dj or whatever

Technically he's qualified for many positions. He can be head scout and run a scouting department.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Kind of ironic that even in 2017, the guts of this team is still comprised of Gillis picks and signings.....and when they call guys up from Utica, it's LaBate, Subban, Grenier and McEneny, all guys signed or drafted by Gillis.

Can you honestly say that if the Aquaman hadn't sacked Gillis after one bad season, the Canucks would be any worse off than they are today? Even a blind squirrel can trade or draft a team to back-to-back 28th place finishes.

I mean, I get what you and lots of other people are saying, but this is seriously flawed when used as a implied criticism towards Benning.

Gillis was in Vancouver between what, 2008-2014? Naturally the majority of the organizational depth is going to be related to him since he was making player decisions for 6 years. The first group of players that Benning has been able to bring in are now 20-21 years old. That is typically pretty young to be brought up as depth call ups. Look at everyone being called up. 23, 25, 22. Benning players haven't really been able to reach that age yet.

Also, "the guts" of the team being Gillis players? Which players did Gillis' 2011 cup run have? You could argue that "the guts" of that team came primarily from the Burke era. That's a huge double standard.

I hate Benning and love Gillis as much as the best of us, but these are brutal arguments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad