Would you support a Laurence Gilman hiring?

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
I sure as hell would. One of the smartest heads in hockey, imo. Probably one of the few people who could get us out of this mess.

Also, not that when LV asked for permission to speak with Gilman in the summer, they weren't given permission. I don't know Aquaman personally, but he doesn't strike me as the type to hold onto some extra salary when he could have shed it, unless he has good reason.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Definitely would want him back. The contract negotiations and salary structure would be a improvement at the very least.

I have doubts he'd come back, but if we see Benning fired and hear he's on the radar I'd be stoked.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wouldn't be my first choice, but he would definitely be right up there. Assuming he didn't have Linden over his shoulder and was allowed to run the show.

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
Glad you guys feel the same way. I've always thought, and still do think, that the Canucks play best in an up-tempo, puck possession, skill style. I really hope we go back to those ways.

Kind of ironic how Gillis/Gilman regime was criticized for drafting, yet they drafted Bo, our best player.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This.

If Benning goes, I think Trevor and Willie go as well. Bring in new faces that are respected around the league.

For President (since that position has evolved even from 5 years ago), I'm thinking we need someone with experience who can oversee the entire operation. Don Maloney comes to mind, who was quite successful relative to the resources he had available and amidst the constant turmoil in Phoenix.

For GM, Gilman is definitely a good candidate. Julien Brisebois has been number one on my list. Someone who doesn't necessarily have to have experience as a GM, but definitely someone who understands analytics, and is smart enough to surround himself with intelligent people.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I suspect that ship has sailed. While I'm sure Gilman would love a GM job, is he going to come back to the organization that fired him, knowing that the owners are going to interfere in every decision he makes? I would want my first gig as a GM to be in a situation where I have full autonomy to succeed or fail. I doubt he would have that here.

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
For President (since that position has evolved even from 5 years ago), I'm thinking we need someone with experience who can oversee the entire operation. Don Maloney comes to mind, who was quite successful relative to the resources he had available and amidst the constant turmoil in Phoenix.

For GM, Gilman is definitely a good candidate. Julien Brisebois has been number one on my list. Someone who doesn't necessarily have to have experience as a GM, but definitely someone who understands analytics, and is smart enough to surround himself with intelligent people.

Totally agree with your point about surrounding yourself with intelligent people. Definitely a big part of why we were a dominant team.

The thing I like about Gilman that was often overlooked, was how well spoken he was.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I question his individual hockey savy but if the last couple years have taught us anything its that we should not discount the ability of someone who can actually run a top tier organisation and set best practices.

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
I suspect that ship has sailed. While I'm sure Gilman would love a GM job, is he going to come back to the organization that fired him, knowing that the owners are going to interfere in every decision he makes? I would want my first gig as a GM to be in a situation where I have full autonomy to succeed or fail. I doubt he would have that here.

I know a lot of people don't have confidence in the Aquilini's, but I wouldn't go much deeper.

FA didn't mess with managment when we were winning (aka, not losing money).

Fact is, Franceso is losing lots of money, quick. I think his interfering with JB was a last effort attempt to save him some $$$. Now that he knows this team won't be contending for a very, VERY long time, he's going to have to change his plan.

Add in the fact that there is a familiarity factor too, and I think it's something that Aquaman would seriously consider.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Glad you guys feel the same way. I've always thought, and still do think, that the Canucks play best in an up-tempo, puck possession, skill style. I really hope we go back to those ways.

Kind of ironic how Gillis/Gilman regime was criticized for drafting, yet they drafted Bo, our best player.

Gillis/Gilman were excessively bashed on their drafting by people who had a bone to pick with them. Yes the earlier years were bad, which still had the old Burke/Nonis scouting regime in place, but at the time Gillis was fired there hadn't been enough time to evaluate his more recent drafts so they just kind of got lumped in with the earlier ones. Also, you'd never see any of the extra prospect UFA signings added, so detractors would just say some garbage like 'no NHL players in 6 years!!!'.

Fast forward a few years and we have a few Gillis draft NHL regulars on the team: Horvat, Gaunce, and Hutton, plus one UFA signing in Tanev. There's a few other depth NHL'ers around the league: Schroeder, Connauton, Corrado, Lack, plus a few more players that could still join the group: Jensen, Shinkaruk, McEneny, etc. It's not great but for a Cup contending team that started with no farm depth it's not too bad.

As for the Giman thing though, can't really tell either way but I always had the impression the Canucks organization were just being dicks and dragging their feet in giving permission rather than playing some long game of looking to bring him back. I mean I think after two weeks they did give Vegas permission, didn't they? Except by that time Vegas had moved on.

That's not necessarily on Aquilini though, a request to speak to someone under contract shouldn't go straight to the owner.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Totally agree with your point about surrounding yourself with intelligent people. Definitely a big part of why we were a dominant team.

The thing I like about Gilman that was often overlooked, was how well spoken he was.

Compare Gilman to Benning at the draft podium that's all you need to see. Gilman definitely comes off as well spoken.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gilman returning to the Canucks?....is somebody kidding?.....fired with term on his contract, and didn't I read somewhere that he wanted to work for Vegas and the Canucks wouldn't let him?

He'd be out of his mind to come back to this gong-show.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Kind of ironic how Gillis/Gilman regime was criticized for drafting, yet they drafted Bo, our best player.[/QUOTE]
It was good pick,but at the astronomical price of an elite goaltender...I'll never forget Pierre McGuire saying the Canucks got 'fleeced' on that trade.

This.

If Benning goes, I think Trevor and Willie go as well. Bring in new faces that are respected around the league.
They're not respected around the league.?..What evidence is there of that?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
It was good pick,but at the astronomical price of an elite goaltender...I'll never forget Pierre McGuire saying the Canucks got 'fleeced' on that trade.

They're not respected around the league.?..What evidence is there of that?[/QUOTE]

I honestly think that New Jersey would undo that trade if they could.

How many of Benning's trades would the other team undo?

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017

They're not respected around the league.?..What evidence is there of that?

I honestly think that New Jersey would undo that trade if they could.

How many of Benning's trades would the other team undo?[/QUOTE]

Schneider is probably New Jerseys best player..Its turning into a fair trade.

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014

They're not respected around the league.?..What evidence is there of that?[/QUOTE]

I think if you have followed the Canucks at all for the past couple years, you will know.

The Subban fine, Tryamkin contract (the league called him out infront of all of the GM's), things he said on the radio, talking about other players, getting taken advantage of in trades, Corrado/waiver situation... the list goes on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of ironic that even in 2017, the guts of this team is still comprised of Gillis picks and signings.....and when they call guys up from Utica, it's LaBate, Subban, Grenier and McEneny, all guys signed or drafted by Gillis.

Can you honestly say that if the Aquaman hadn't sacked Gillis after one bad season, the Canucks would be any worse off than they are today? Even a blind squirrel can trade or draft a team to back-to-back 28th place finishes.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Schneider is probably New Jerseys best player..Its turning into a fair trade.

But they've been lousy and would have had higher draft choices without him. More importantly, he turns 30 this year, and having his worst season. By the time they will be ready to compete again he will be past his prime. He probably already is. Horvat will just be entering his. I think Lou had the right idea but the timing for a trade like that was poor.

The timing on our end was pretty much perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad