Would you still support this team if it was relocated?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Those of you who have a different team locally (or you are at least in that market), do you have a soft spot for that team or do you hate them or indifferent? I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be a fan of the local team. Is it tough? Do you like being the contrarian?

member 116861

Those of you who have a different team locally (or you are at least in that market), do you have a soft spot for that team or do you hate them or indifferent? I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be a fan of the local team. Is it tough? Do you like being the contrarian?

I despise the Canucks, not as much as I used to but I still hate them. Their fans are a lot better now but holy **** they were so annoying before. It isn't really tough anymore because we are great and the Canucks are trending downwards.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I seriously doubt it. I was a huge North Star fan before the move. I did not follow them after them moved. I really didn't have a favorite team until Colorado got a team back in 95/96.

I'm not sure that I'm following you here. Are you a Wild fan or an AVS fan? Because it sounds like you're an AVS fan in MN but you'd stop following the AVS if they were to move from Denver? That doesn't make sense.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
My whole family transferred their allegiance over with the Nordiques so yeah probably would again. I've never been to Denver and while I'm sure it's lovely, I have no personal attachment to the city.

Tigervixxen said:

I've most recently been living in Calgary and before that Edmonton and its not so bad. People here love hockey and love talking hockey so other than a bit of good natured ribbing I don't have a hard time with it, we usually just talk hockey in general rather than getting into it about the teams we cheer for. I do wish I had more Avs fans to talk to or watch games with but what can you do.

member 116861

You guys have to come to Denver some day. I get a kick out of seeing them at away games, I can't imagine what the experience would be like seeing them at home for the first time.

I can't convince anybody to go on a trip to Denver to watch some hockey.

Vagrantfan

Aug 4, 2014
Detroit
I guess the away fan is an experience of it's own. Where I was born, there wasn't much of an option as far as a local team goes. The UP in Michigan is so far away from Detroit it isn't even funny. However, we're only a couple hours from Green Bay so a lot are Packers fans (not me, I can't emphasize that enough). I've spent my entire life being an adjunct fan. Baseball is the best I have in that, I like the White Sox and I've been able to make it to several of their games. Even that is 6+ hours away though.

Right now, I'm going to school in the lower peninsula though so I'm closer to the Detroit markets (only a couple hours away). It's bizarre to say the least. It takes extra enthusiasm but, I think most of us have that level of enthusiasm anyway. The fact that we are on a forum posting about these sort of things kind of emphasizes that. That being said, I've considered going for my PhD in the Denver area and the notion of being a hometown fan, where I can actually attend games regularly and not be the 1 vs 10,000 in the crowd, is pretty abstract.

AvsFanRCN

Dec 21, 2011
Victoria, BC, Canada
I despise the Canucks, not as much as I used to but I still hate them. Their fans are a lot better now but holy **** they were so annoying before. It isn't really tough anymore because we are great and the Canucks are trending downwards.

This, growing up in BC I have come to hate Canuck fans with a fiery passion that has yet to subside. They are just so irritating, biggest bandwagon fans I have ever encountered in any sport and there are enough that prices get jacked up to the point where tickets are expenisve, the last tickets I paid for for a Colorado game in Vancouver was 200$ per ticket. Those were, however, right behind the avs bench, but still, grossly overpriced

Stig

Apr 15, 2014
Minnesota
I'm not sure that I'm following you here. Are you a Wild fan or an AVS fan? Because it sounds like you're an AVS fan in MN but you'd stop following the AVS if they were to move from Denver? That doesn't make sense.

I am a huge Avs fan. I am originally from Colorado even though I live in Minnesota. I hate the wild, never liked their rat logo and christmas colors.

What I said is if my favorite team moved to a new city, like the North Stars did, I probably wouldn't support them anymore. So if the Avs ever moved I probably wouldn't follow them like I do now if at all.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
How exactly do all yall Canadien/European Avs fanboys come to be fans? Not the one's that continued with the team from Quebec, but those of you from all the other places you are from?
I can understand how a lot of people could jump on the bandwagon in the Sakic/Forsberg days, but those are quite long gone. For the 5 years before 13-14 how could any non-Coloradoans spontaneously become Avs fans?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How exactly do all yall Canadien/European Avs fanboys come to be fans? Not the one's that continued with the team from Quebec, but those of you from all the other places you are from?
I can understand how a lot of people could jump on the bandwagon in the Sakic/Forsberg days, but those are quite long gone. For the 5 years before 13-14 how could any non-Coloradoans spontaneously become Avs fans?

I'm not a Canadien/European but have always been a long-distant fan. I started really getting into hockey in the early 90s. First game I saw live was in Boston (vs. Montreal) and the two players who stood out the most to me were Roy and Borque. I pretty much liked all teams equally back then but really rooted for certain players. I guess it was around 95 when I decided I needed to claim a team to really root for and went with the AVs the year they entered the league.

As for how I would be affected if they relocated...I can't honestly say. I would probably try to stay with them but if they went to the east coast it would be problematic because of the time zone difference. All the games are pretty much over by the time I get home from work.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Video games

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Olympics bring fans too!

I know I'm not in an NHL market, but despite cheering for Winnipeg's farm team I have zero interest in supporting the Jets.

I used to live in Vancouver, and like someone said above, it's easy to live there and hate the Canucks.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
NHL 98 in my case:yo:

Aww yeah.

NHL_98_Coverart.png

Then, my big brothers had a career in NHL 2000 as the Avalanche. I fondly remember receiving a trade request and accidentally accepting it and getting yelled at. :laugh:

Not long ago my dad asked how I got to be an Avs fan and my brother who was visiting said "It's the NHL cover with Forsberg isn't it?"

I suppose it is.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I'd say Vancouver and nearby cities (Kelowna, Victoria, etc), has quite a large base of people who don't support the Canucks. That's not to say there aren't a lot of Canuck fans, Canada just loves hockey.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

1st nhl game was avalanche vs oilers on November 6th, 1998 and the tickets my parents got were luckily in the avs end. Forsberg tossed me a puck and the rest is history. plus he scored 4 pts that game as well(1 goal, 3 assists)

Avalanche 5 Oilers 2

had a Forsberg jersey by christmas

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have to say I would probably follow them for a while, but if I was where there was another local team or a place I had a connection with I would probably transfer allegiances.

For instance if Seattle/Portland (lived in the PNW for a period of my life and it is my favorite area of the country) or Las Vegas (lots of my family lives there and I visit a good amount) got a team, they would immediately become my #2 team. Then if the Avs moved to say Kansas City, I would probably cheer for the team I have more connection to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad