Would you still support this team if it was relocated?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Now, not living in North America the idea of relocation is a bit alien to me, especially since in my time as a hockey fan the 30 teams have been largely consistent, with the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg being the only change in that time. And being a team that didn't play the Avs often and with no real amount of success I never really paid much attention to them, or was especially affected by them moving.

So, if the Avs were forced to move somewhere, how would you take it? I know there's at least one former Nordiques fan here who's from Quebec, would that make a difference, if you're from Colorado or not? I'd like to think with the current team and the potential for impending success that a reasonable percentage of fans would stay with the team unless something truly horrible happened, but, lets see what the people say.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think i would. hard to say since i've never experienced it but as of now, yes.

i'm finnish and have been in colorado only once so i don't have any special ties.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Good topic.

I guess i would remain loyal, but it depends on multiple factors...the state of the team at the time of relocation, the new name, logo, colors, jerseys... if i found difficult to like any of these, i would probably have hard time remain a fan... but i dont think i would choose another team to cheer....most likely would just lose interest....

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Interesting to think how I would feel as someone who's never been to CO.

I sure as hell wouldn't support the move but I don't see a reason not to support the team.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Under the current circumstances? NO

I was a big time Seattle Supersonics fan and I remember when they drafted Kevin Durant. The team sucked and Durant was the next big thing. After 2 seasons (maybe be wrong on that but it was a short time) the team moved to Oklahoma City. They received a gift.

The Nords were in the same position as well - bad seasons, young talent, immediate payoff for Colorado fans.

Where this team stands right now, if they were to go to another city I'd probably disown them. There have been some brutal brutal years here watching the Avs lately. We're just back to a point where it's fun to go to the games again.

If you told me they were leaving tomorrow I'd probably feel a lot like the way most Nords fans felt in 1995. Maybe I'd get over it eventually, but there would be an immediate sour taste.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Maybe. I havent lived in Denver for years and I still have a strong attachment to this team. Even if they had a bunch of pluggers running around. But kids like Duchene man...how do you not love this team!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know, would depend on a lot of things. Why did the team leave, are we getting another team in return, where did the team go. I'm a Colorado sports fan, the only teams I support are local so I'm going to be honest and say it would be tough. It's not like I'd randomly start liking another hockey team though unless one came to Denver so I guess the Avs would still be my favorite but if they left it would break my heart too. I have a lot of local pride in my teams, they represent my state and live in my city, that's a big reason for my attachment, I can't say none of that matters.

To those not from Colorado, why would it matter at all?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes without a doubt.

I'm a fan of the team, not the city/state. Dont live in Colorado, and have never been to Colorado(Although I really want to at some point), so I have no personal ties or interest in the state other then the Avs.

Ill follow this team wherever they go.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
99% sure I'd still be a fan especially if the move was to Saskatoon. wouldn't like it if they moved to las vegas or somewhere hockey doesn't belong though.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
As a fan who lives in Colorado I'd probably try to support them. Eventually I'd probably lose interest though.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I wouldn't support the idea of a relocation but I would still follow the team. I live in Canada anyways so it wouldn't be a huge deal for me.

I would feel terrible for the fans living in Colorado though.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I've no idea. I've been a fan since the late 90s and I'm very attached to the name, logo, jerseys and the history of this team. It's always been Colorado Avalanche first, the players second for me. Maybe if the new team had the same core we have today.. Hard to say.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
It depends on the city.

If it's a cool city like Las Vegas or back to Quebec then maybe.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It was easy not to follow my second team (thrashers) after their move. I only followed them because of proximity. I'm too invested in the Colorado roster not to follow them. Only way I may not is if they moved to hamilton.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
To those not from Colorado, why would it matter at all?

Couple scenarios. If they moved to Canada I'm not sure how I'd feel. If they moved for some stupid reason related to the owners or management who followed the franchise, I'm not sure how I'd feel.

I think a more interesting question for those of us around here would be along the lines of... 'If the Avs were dissolved as a franchise, which team would you root for?'

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Would I still cheer for the team that had the likes of Duchene, Landy, Mac, ROR, EJ, Varly, PAtty Roy? Not to mention fan favourites like Mitchell, Bordy, and Guenin. Hell ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->