would you sign alexander semin in the offseason?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The perception that Semin is a floater or one dimensional is inaccurate. I know it because I've watched him play hundreds of times.

Also, Brodreau specifically stated that Semin was misunderstood by the media and shot down criticisms of him.

Just look at all the nonsense the Philly media blew out of proportion with Carter/Richards.

Pretty much. Kings fans should know more than most about stereotypical labeling and rumor mongering. Not a day goes by where I don't hear/see a Richards/Carter dry island comment, or a Doughty is fat comment, etc...

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
The perception that Semin is a floater or one dimensional is inaccurate. I know it because I've watched him play hundreds of times.

Also, Brodreau specifically stated that Semin was misunderstood by the media and shot down criticisms of him.

Just look at all the nonsense the Philly media blew out of proportion with Carter/Richards.

If you've seen him that much I'll take your word on it. I have not seen him much prior to Carolina. I've loved what I've seen this year. He's been a staple in my daily fantasy leagues.

I don't think he'll get more than 5 X 6. Things are different with the new CBA. The maga stars will be exempt from the changes because owners will have to have them, but it's the second tier guys like Semin that will be hit the most. I'd pass on him if he's more than 5.5 X 4.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
wanted him over Penner this offseason and would take him in the upcoming offseason as well.

just because we won the cup doesn't mean our scoring woes were magically cured. Guys like Williams, Richards, and even Kopi are more playmakers than natural goal scorers. Brown is like a big bowling ball that just barrels his way to some goals like a Milan Lucic. Penner is useless. Gagne way past his prime The only real "sniper" we have if Jeff Carter.

Kings are still struggling to finish and put the puck in the net. They also lack some speed on the wing. Semin is one of the best at putting the puck in the net and would add some speed to the offense like Carter did last year. Excellent wrist shot - one of the best in the league - as well as hands that can dangle and solid speed. His typical Russian laziness/no defense/softness has been definitely been overrated. Some of it's true but it's not as bad as people say.

Semin has the potential to be a 30-40 goal scorer just like Carter. His 21 goals last year I basically disregard because of the system Hunter had them playing, everyone's stats were way down. His 82 game projected totals from the four seasons prior were 33 goals, 44 goals, 44 goals, 35 goals. In a league where it's hard to find consistent elite goal scoring, Semin provides you that.

It's just like last year with Jeff Carter - Flyers fans calling him soft, quitter, overrated and BJ's fans saying he was a whining baby who didn't play hard for them and didn't want to be there. I still wanted him. All that garbage is so overrated like the dry island crap with the Flyers and Richards and Carter.

You don't think Philly was looking at the Kings last season saying damn maybe that should have been us? Philly definitely got good returns in those deals but they were a little too young last year to make a deeper run with Schenn, Voracek, and Couturier in my opinion. I think if they still had Richards and Carter (firmly in their prime at this point), they probably beat the Devils and give the Rangers a run for their money in the ECF. They're set up well for the future but it's still something to think about.

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
He is on a One year 7 million dollar contract. He's playing defense, scoring and plays an offensive game that suits the kings. The negatives are the questions in the past of desire and commitment to backcheck. The answer May be that nobody has those qualities in Washington.

Id like to offer a 4 year 22 million dollar contract and move him in trade If problems arise.

Yes, just to see him fight in a kings jersey, awesome

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With Penner and Gagne off the roster, yeah, I'd take my chances on Semin. Put him on the top line with Kopitar and Brown and watch all of their point totals go up as a result of having a sniper who can make plays on their wing.

Then you have Carter centering Williams and Clifford (or maybe Pearson if he earns a roster spot out of camp), and Richards centering the third line with King and Toffoli (again, if he earns a spot out of camp as well). Then a fourth line of Stoll centering Nolan and Lewis.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
With Penner and Gagne off the roster, yeah, I'd take my chances on Semin. Put him on the top line with Kopitar and Brown and watch all of their point totals go up as a result of having a sniper who can make plays on their wing.

Then you have Carter centering Williams and Clifford (or maybe Pearson if he earns a roster spot out of camp), and Richards centering the third line with King and Toffoli (again, if he earns a spot out of camp as well). Then a fourth line of Stoll centering Nolan and Lewis.

I agree that if both Penner and Gagne are gone that he would be a good replacement. I wonder at what cost though. Gagne can likely be kept for around 2.5-3M. So lets say DL can get Semin for around 6M. Is the difference between the players worh it?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I agree that if both Penner and Gagne are gone that he would be a good replacement. I wonder at what cost though. Gagne can likely be kept for around 2.5-3M. So lets say DL can get Semin for around 6M. Is the difference between the players worh it?

The cap drops by $5.9 million next year, and Quick is getting a $4 million dollar raise. Those two factors alone show that we don't have much cap room to play with. Semin and his $4-$7 million cap hit wouldn't work here.

And none of that accounts for the fact we have to resign Voynov (who'll likely want a nice pay raise the way he's playing) Martinez, Ellerby, Muzzin, Bernier, Clifford, Nolan and Lewis as RFA's, while resigning or replacing our UFA's, which include Gagne, Penner, Richardson, Drewiske and Scuderi.

We are going to be so tight to the cap next year it's not even funny (barring any trades done between now and then which may free up cap room of course).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Even though I like Semin, I don't think he's a realistic option.

It will be interesting to see what DL does, we certainly need a LW.

Pearson/Toffoli/Vey could all be ready to compete for spots in camp, but I'm not sure sure if Toffoli and Vey are LWs.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The cap drops by $5.9 million next year, and Quick is getting a $4 million dollar raise. Those two factors alone show that we don't have much cap room to play with. Semin and his $4-$7 million cap hit wouldn't work here.

And none of that accounts for the fact we have to resign Voynov (who'll likely want a nice pay raise the way he's playing) Martinez, Ellerby, Muzzin, Bernier, Clifford, Nolan and Lewis as RFA's, while resigning or replacing our UFA's, which include Gagne, Penner, Richardson, Drewiske and Scuderi.

We are going to be so tight to the cap next year it's not even funny (barring any trades done between now and then which may free up cap room of course).

Unless DL makes a significant UFA signing, I doubt it will be all that tight.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

When did Semin sign? Wan't it later on in the off season? I bet his agent does that again to feel what all is out there. By this time DL would hopefully have the cap planned out. One would hope that he already hasa few different blue prints on that anyway.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Unless DL makes a significant UFA signing, I doubt it will be all that tight.

Next season we currently have $49,260,227 committed to 8 returning forwards, 4 returning defensemen (including Campbell) and one goalie. That leaves us $15,039,773 to resign Voynov, Martinez, Bernier, Clifford, Ellerby, Muzzin, Nolan and Lewis as our RFA's.

Let's assume they all resign for their current salary, which is basically a zero probability. Those eight guys would earn a total of $6,208,333.

You can add about $50,000 to that since Nolan and Campbell currently are making less than what the leagues minimum wage will be next year ($550,000).

So, assuming we pull off the impossible and reupp all those guys for the same salary, that leaves us $8,781,440 to replace Penner, Gagne, Scuderi, Drewiske and Richardson.

Now obviously odds are pretty good that Voynov will be demanding a raise, as will most of those RFA's. Even if we were generous and assumed no more than a 20 per cent raise across the board for them (could be much higher if Voynov signs a long-term deal) then we'd be reduced to just over $7.5 million to repalce those five UFA's. And you'd have to imagine DL would like to keep at least $500,000 open in case of recalls or injuries.

Semin demanding $5+ million a season would essentially eat all of our budget for replacing those UFA's, two of which are currently in our top five defensemen. It just doesn't make sense, barring a trade of some sort.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
When did Semin sign? Wan't it later on in the off season? I bet his agent does that again to feel what all is out there. By this time DL would hopefully have the cap planned out. One would hope that he already hasa few different blue prints on that anyway.

July 26, so not late, but late for the big name guys.

I'd assume DL has multiple options developed already, and I'm not trying to speak for him (obviously). Just IMO, I don't see how we can afford Semin without another contract coming off the books aside from guys like Gagne, Penner, etc.

bobafettish*

a 4th line center making 3 million. oh joy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Next season we currently have $49,260,227 committed to 8 returning forwards, 4 returning defensemen (including Campbell) and one goalie. That leaves us $15,039,773 to resign Voynov, Martinez, Bernier, Clifford, Ellerby, Muzzin, Nolan and Lewis as our RFA's.

Let's assume they all resign for their current salary, which is basically a zero probability. Those eight guys would earn a total of $6,208,333.

You can add about $50,000 to that since Nolan and Campbell currently are making less than what the leagues minimum wage will be next year ($550,000).

So, assuming we pull off the impossible and reupp all those guys for the same salary, that leaves us $8,781,440 to replace Penner, Gagne, Scuderi, Drewiske and Richardson.

Now obviously odds are pretty good that Voynov will be demanding a raise, as will most of those RFA's. Even if we were generous and assumed no more than a 20 per cent raise across the board for them (could be much higher if Voynov signs a long-term deal) then we'd be reduced to just over $7.5 million to repalce those five UFA's. And you'd have to imagine DL would like to keep at least $500,000 open in case of recalls or injuries.

Semin demanding $5+ million a season would essentially eat all of our budget for replacing those UFA's, two of which are currently in our top five defensemen. It just doesn't make sense, barring a trade of some sort.

The Kings aren't going to have 27 players on the payroll.

Unless DL signs an UFA to a large contract (unlikely), the Kings shouldn't have any issues with the cap.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
If a perfect world? Sure, but with our cap situation next year and the offers he's going to be getting, nope.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think if the cap falls for everyone, the offers won't be that crazy. But if he leaves Carolina where they want him, that's not a good sign.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Kings aren't going to have 27 players on the payroll.

Unless DL signs an UFA to a large contract (unlikely), the Kings shouldn't have any issues with the cap.

I only counted 21 players (signed plus our RFA's) and Semin, which would be 22. I dropped Scuderi, Drewiske, Richardson, Penner and Gagne and only added Semin. That's 22 players and we'd definately need to add likely two defensemen.

It won't work unless someone like Stoll is moved out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad