would you sign alexander semin in the offseason?

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
He is on a One year 7 million dollar contract. He's playing defense, scoring and plays an offensive game that suits the kings. The negatives are the questions in the past of desire and commitment to backcheck. The answer May be that nobody has those qualities in Washington.

Id like to offer a 4 year 22 million dollar contract and move him in trade If problems arise.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Somebody's going to get crazy and offer him 6.5-7 million per year for 5 years or so. Thankfully that won't be us.

Despite him not really being a Hitchcock type player I get the feeling the Blues will be in for him.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
He is on a One year 7 million dollar contract. He's playing defense, scoring and plays an offensive game that suits the kings. The negatives are the questions in the past of desire and commitment to backcheck. The answer May be that nobody has those qualities in Washington.

Id like to offer a 4 year 22 million dollar contract and move him in trade If problems arise.

He's always been a great back-checker and is solid defensively, I don't understand the hate on Semin to that regard, yes he could be one of the best offensive players, he has the skill, but his defense is severely underrated while he possesses tons of skill and his nickname is something else :laugh:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
He's always been a great back-checker and is solid defensively, I don't understand the hate on Semin to that regard, yes he could be one of the best offensive players, he has the skill, but his defense is severely underrated while he possesses tons of skill and his nickname is something else :laugh:

Hes been great at backchecking in Carolina, but that aspect of the Game did not exist in Washington and was universally criticised for it prior to this year.

bobafettish*

thats not gonna happen, but yea if you could get him at that i would sign him.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I agree completely. He's a fine player at both ends of the ice.

Commonly held beliefs about public figures are often greatly exaggerated or completely untrue.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If . . .

polls_the_price_is_right__1__5414_724861_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'd sign him, but not for $7 million. Pretty hard to turn down a .87 ppg player who has scored 40 goals in a season before. Even if he wouldn't be capable of doing that on the Kings, we need that type of offensive skill.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I agree completely. He's a fine player at both ends of the ice.

Commonly held beliefs about public figures are often greatly exaggerated or completely untrue.

Well, when you are unanimously accused of something By everyone who is paid to have an opinión including his last two coaches it stops becoming a belief and becomes facts. Those are facts that are being nationaly parroted.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I wouldnt mind Semin if we could get him on a 5 million cap hit anything more than that I would say no. I do think he could gel and do really well with Kopitar. The only thing I see wrong with him is that he's inconsistant.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Not a chance. We'll be very tight to the cap ceiling next year as is. If we sign him, we'll be saying good bye to someone else with a big paycheque (aside from Penner and Gagne).

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Not a chance. We'll be very tight to the cap ceiling next year as is. If we sign him, we'll be saying good bye to someone else with a big paycheque (aside from Penner and Gagne).

I had absolutely forgotten our cap situation for next year. I have to think that Semin's contract amount will go down as a result of the new CBA and what teams have to spend. Of course the will be the cap floor teams who might give him what he wants but then they would be risking a bunch.

Even with Gagne, Penner Bernier and possibly a couple of others off the books we have are still going to have to be smart with our money.

I don't care if Semin can cook after all.

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
A buddy of mine is Caps-fan.

I think Semin has always been a pretty decent backchecker. He steals a lot of pucks. His last year in Washington he even blocked some shots, as the whole team was in "Defense first and second" mode. He's actually quite a good Penalty Killer.

He's got a wicked wristshot. Elite-level. But too often he plays with blinders on, tries to dipsy-doodle-dangle past a couple of defenders on his own to set up his own chance. When it works, it looks great. But often it's just frustrating.

Apparantly he has also rejected learning english. Sees no point. So he's a bit of a loner in the room.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

I think Semin has always been a pretty decent backchecker. He steals a lot of pucks. His last year in Washington he even blocked some shots, as the whole team was in "Defense first and second" mode. He's actually quite a good Penalty Killer.

He's got a wicked wristshot. Elite-level. But too often he plays with blinders on, tries to dipsy-doodle-dangle past a couple of defenders on his own to set up his own chance. When it works, it looks great. But often it's just frustrating.

Apparantly he has also rejected learning english. Sees no point. So he's a bit of a loner in the room.

That could be a bit of a deal breaker... Considering how much importance DL seems to put on team chemistry and guys in the locker room getting along I can't see him having interest in a guy who isolates himself...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
a sniper in recent memory other than Palffy?

surely you must be joking

Jeff Carter says hello...

This is the stuff I've heard about him off and on during his career that really turns me off. I've been a fan of getting him in the past, when we had the cap room for him, but I wouldn't want him on more than a two year deal, even back then. He left Washington in the middle of a contract and went back to Russia earlier in his career too. The guy has emmense skill, but is a me first personality.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well, when you are unanimously accused of something By everyone who is paid to have an opinión including his last two coaches it stops becoming a belief and becomes facts. Those are facts that are being nationaly parroted.

The perception that Semin is a floater or one dimensional is inaccurate. I know it because I've watched him play hundreds of times.

Also, Brodreau specifically stated that Semin was misunderstood by the media and shot down criticisms of him.

Just look at all the nonsense the Philly media blew out of proportion with Carter/Richards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad