Would you rather?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't agreed not too many players on detroits roster better than Perron, Schultz and especially Eberle.

Schultz is a tire fire in his own zone screw his handedness. Also Perron and Eberle will cost too much to get a hold of. Petry sucks and I want no part of him either. Of the 4 the only who would interest me is Perron however we are loaded at forward. Also he was a St. Louis product of development so he in theory wouldn't be a major project to change. But the Oilers would probably ask for a centerman that isn't named Darren Helm probably Sheahan so that is a non starter.

Detroit Sports*

Schultz is a tire fire in his own zone screw his handedness. Also Perron and Eberle will cost too much to get a hold of. Petry sucks and I want no part of him either. Of the 4 the only who would interest me is Perron however we are loaded at forward. Also he was a St. Louis product of development so he in theory wouldn't be a major project to change. But the Oilers would probably ask for a centerman that isn't named Darren Helm probably Sheahan so that is a non starter.

We are loaded at forward? We have a lot of forwards but most aren't any good...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We could make one of the better top9 squads in the league as long as everyone is healthy. That's not even counting our prospects such as Mantha or Pulks.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't know, I guess i'm in the minority but I wouldn't want to give up Helm for Petry.

I wouldn't want Petry at all

he isn't very good and I really don't want him around long term taking a roster spot from the prospects especially with how little room there is as it is and you just know he would end up being around for the next decade or so if the Wings traded for him being right handed and from Michigan etc

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We've got a few options @ 3rd/4th line center. Helms a commodity, really the only one we have. I'd love to move Andersson instead somehow but I don't see that happening.

Using a strength to fill a weakness. I totally get that, I just don't think Petry or Eberle improve our weaknesses.

Petry, is marginally better than what we have on defense, especially if XO can stick with the club.

Eberle is a one dimensional, diminutive scorer. Even if we assume he is more talented than our "kids", its more of what we already have in Tatar/Nyquist/Pulks/(hopefully Weiss).

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Franzen is a consistent .75 ppg forward for many years and is currently at around a .85 ppg rate. Abby is producing at better then .65ppg this year and actually doesn't look out of place in a top 6 line, Nyquist .6ppg and coming off a cold stretch, Tatar .6 ppg, Z if Weiss stays healthy and is able to take the 2c spot is producing at .9ppg, Dats is at 1.1 ppg. Sheahan started off cold just like Jurco but is back to around .45ppg and Jurco is at .33 ppg. Weiss has not played enough games to see his output so I won't put it into consideration but he is a point per gamer for the moment.

How when all things are considered are we not deep as hell when it comes to top 9 scoring forwards? And for a cherry on top we have a top shutdown 4th line as well. You might not like the 4th line used a bit too much at es but our team is producing at 2.75 goals a game and we currently have 7 forwards (Z, Dats, Franzen, Abby, Weiss, Tatar, and Nyquist) Producing as 2nd line forwards or better with Sheahan not too far off either.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't want Petry at all

he isn't very good and I really don't want him around long term taking a roster spot from the prospects especially with how little room there is as it is and you just know he would end up being around for the next decade or so if the Wings traded for him being right handed and from Michigan etc

Jeff Petry is going to be very good when he isn't tasked with checking the other teams best players all night. He ideally fits in on a sturdy second pairing shutdown unit.

I like the kids a bit too much to do this. However, come this summer or if it is a throw away reclamation project like Frk or Tvrdon that Edmonton wants along with a low pick it is probably worth it. Injuries are going to happen and Ericsson/Petry/Smith/Quincey/Ouellet/Jensen as some combination of your 3rd pairing come playoff time is quite formidable.

We probably need the spots for the kids, but then again they could go for Petry and deal a Sproul/Backman/Marchenko for something pretty good. It is all in how you want this team to play out, but Petry is a good hockey player being asked to play above station. I think people would really like him if he found his way to Detroit and away from the anchors he currently has to play with defensively in Edmonton.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would'nt be surprised if we don't wind up with Petry, Knowing Holland the way we do he will kick the tires on most of the available RHD and say that they're to costly and Petry can be had pretty cheaply maybe Helm at the most and plus being another Michigander will get Hollands interest.

ZDatsZuke

This year, maybe
Mar 23, 2010
The only one that would be interesting is Eberle, and the price would probably be too much.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The only one that would be interesting is Eberle, and the price would probably be too much.

Petry improves the defensive depth. He's not that big impact player we've longed for, but he fits a need.

But yeah, Eberle would be incredible, but he's also going to command a nice price. I've been hearing about Eberle for so long, before he was in the NHL even, so I feel like he's been around forever. But he's still only 24, has almost 300 games under he belt, and over 230 points.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Petry improves the defensive depth. He's not that big impact player we've longed for, but he fits a need.

But yeah, Eberle would be incredible, but he's also going to command a nice price. I've been hearing about Eberle for so long, before he was in the NHL even, so I feel like he's been around forever. But he's still only 24, has almost 300 games under he belt, and over 230 points.

I am a big fan of Eberle. With that said, his price will still be good, not what the Oilers could have gotten before getting pushed up against a wall and I do think they are there at this point where something has to be done, in fact several somethings.

However, Babcock wouldn't put up with the way Jordan Eberle plays hockey. The Wings leadership group wouldn't be happy with it either. Now the kid has lots of moxie and I think we could get him more committed to playing all over. But if he doesn't take to that right away he would be in the doghouse a lot. He doesn't know what defense is and some of the areas he turns the puck over in would see him sitting for large stretches. He is a heck of a talent, but it would be bumpy initially and at what price? Unlikely to see that happen, Babs would have a field day breaking him down in the press, if we are moving in another direction soon fine, but I don't see Mike Babcock and Eberle getting along at all as he currently plays the game.

On another note outside of Crosby the acquisition of Eberle would give the Wings the best set of backhands in the league hands down. Eberle, Z and Dats are all in the top 5 in terms of that skill.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
a couple trades isn't gonna do the Oilers much good if they don't also clean house in the management

that teams changes need to start at the top

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
a couple trades isn't gonna do the Oilers much good if they don't also clean house in the management

that teams changes need to start at the top

Oh I agree, but it would seem they are going to let the current dumpster fire that is their management team make these trades anyway and I do believe they are coming soon.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The thing about the Oilers is that they are tanking just fine without having to clean house. If they don't get a return offer that can really help them, they'll do well enough to hold their cards.

Given that perennially getting draft picks in the top five hasn't worked out for them, they probably want proven veterans with something left in their tank.

I would think that a guy with leadership experience, like Weiss, would be more the style necessary to get a seat at the table. Of course, that assumes Weiss maintains at least point for every two games pace.

So I think that if it happens at all, it would be a two-for-two deal involving a defenseman lower on the totem pole than Ericsson but not anyone named Dekeyser. For example, Weiss and Lashoff, Quincey or Smith in return for a Shultz and a center.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Dave Perron, Justin Schultz, Jordan Eberle and Jeff Petry are all right handed shots allegedly ripe for trade from the moribund Oilers. Who would you most want to see land in Motown and what do you think the asking price would be? (Edmonton is desperate for centers)

Yeah, I would definitely trade Helm for Petry. That would address a need for both teams. That's a straight up hockey trade. I'd be completely happy with a trade that featured both those guys as the centerpiece of the deal.

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think the roster we have has a chance to do some damage in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to be adding players from a perennial bottom-feeder, especially with how good the Wings have looked the first quarter of the season. Our D/goaltending looks way better than last year and we're starting to score more goals. I wouldn't go out of the way to shake that up just for the sake of adding a right-handed shot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Maybe in the minority, but Youre not alone

I'll be honest, I am not at all impressed by Petry. He seems like just a standard, run of the mill #5 Defensemen.

K-wall / Big E / DDK / Smith / QK (no longer QFK) / XO

I dont see Petry cracking the top 6... so why trade for him?

I like Perron from EDM... But again, we know Helm well. He knows where he fits here. He is much faster. Id prefer to play what we know than go with the unknown.

A "fair" deal would be Perron for Helm I think.. and we add a pick. (I wouldnt do it)

It will be very costly for us to get an Eberle... I think it would cost us Sheahan. (to be fair)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't know, I guess i'm in the minority but I wouldn't want to give up Helm for Petry.

No way in hell I'd do that deal. Its Helm for a right-handed UFA Quincey. Not sure why people think that's a good deal or what they think they're getting in Petry that would be so beneficial to this team outside of his handedness. Waste of an asset like Helm.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd love to make a move for Eberle. He's a 60-70 point player and if he had Z or Datsyuk centering him he could creep towards 80. I think he'd cost us more than we would be willing to give up (eg: DeKeyser/Smith+Pulkkinen+Helm/Sheahan).

I'd rather go after Perron. If the Oilers were looking at Anisimov+Small add for Perron I'd do Helm+Jensen/Frk/Nastasiuk/2015 3rd for Perron. Perron always plays with heart and he's floundering a bit in Edmonton but I think that's more so the culture than anything else.

Weiss-Datsyuk-Perron
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Tatar

That's a great top 9, every line is capable of going off on a given night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad