Would you rather?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Dave Perron, Justin Schultz, Jordan Eberle and Jeff Petry are all right handed shots allegedly ripe for trade from the moribund Oilers. Who would you most want to see land in Motown and what do you think the asking price would be? (Edmonton is desperate for centers)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
On a team with Nyquist, Tatar, Franzen, Jurco, the emergence of Abby, at least one of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Weiss playing the wing and then Pulkkinen and Mantha sitting in Grand Rapids, trading for Perron or Eberle is a waste of assets, as talented as they are.

Petry is a fine enough defenseman, but he isn't really an upgrade over Dekeyser, Ericsson, and probably even Quincey at this point (a compliment to Quincey, not a knock on Petry), and Detroit would have to ship off an NHL defenseman anyway if they were going to add one.

And Schultz, while he would be intriguing, I'd be concerned that he'd flounder under a coach like Babcock.

But most importantly, if Edmonton needs centers, look elsewhere. We have 3 types of centers: the ones we won't trade (Datsyuk, Zetterberg), the ones we can't trade for the sake of our future and our lack of prospect depth down the middle (Sheahan, Larkin), and the ones you don't want (Weiss, Andersson, Glendening, Ferraro, etc.)

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
But most importantly, if Edmonton needs centers, look elsewhere. We have 3 types of centers: the ones we won't trade (Datsyuk, Zetterberg), the ones we can't trade for the sake of our future and our lack of prospect depth down the middle (Sheahan, Larkin), and the ones you don't want (Weiss, Andersson, Glendening, Ferraro, etc.)

Ah, but we do have Helm.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

It's interesting you listed it this way because none of your lists include Helm, who IMO would hold a lot of value to a team like Edmonton.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
None of them. Edmonton is a cess pool of talent evaluation and player development. It would take way too long to turn around who ever we picked up from them.

Detroit Sports*

None of them. Edmonton is a cess pool of talent evaluation and player development. It would take way too long to turn around who ever we picked up from them.

I don't agreed not too many players on detroits roster better than Perron, Schultz and especially Eberle.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Blaming the team's failures on not having a right-handed shot is a laughable excuse.

crashman

I'd only be interested in Schultz or Petry. Either guy would be a nice upgrade to our D.

Ah, but we do have Helm.

I'm a huge fan of Helm and he's always been one of my favorite Red Wings since coming into the league, but if Weiss becomes a competent center by the trade deadline, I think Helm should be traded for a defenseman.

Having Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sheahan, Weiss, Glen, Andersson and Larkin (in the pipeline) is pretty good depth at center. I'd miss him, but this team could survive without Helm.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I would trade Helm in a heartbeat as a centerpiece for a trade for one of those D-men.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Justin Schultz would be a great fit if we can package in one of our D (Kindl) to lighten the cost some. Right handed shot with solid offensive skills--that's what we need right there. He'd be a bit of a project cleaning up his defensive game, but not as much as you'd expect by his numbers... a lot of his issues are due to the Oilers themselves.

On a side note, it's amazing how opinions of players swing so dramatically purely based on their play any given month or two.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Helm for Petry could really work.

I'm thinking that this will eventually happen, Pretty sure that Ken Holland was just waiting to see what Alfredsson was going to do. And now that he will be announcing his retirement on December 4th in Ottawa I can see a Helm for Petry deal going down. But then again that all hinges on Weiss health I would think.

Except we already have excessive Defensive stocks. We would probably send one the other way just to make space.

Agreed, Pretty sure it would have to be Darren Helm+Jakub Kindl for Jeff Petry. Just because we would have to open space up for Petry and Kindl and Lashoff would be the expendable ones here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I live in Edmonton, watch the Oilers all the time. Hall and RNH are the only players I have interest in.

I would take guys Like Eberle, Petry and Schultz in a trade below market value, but that's it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Justin Schultz would be a great fit if we can package in one of our D (Kindl) to lighten the cost some. Right handed shot with solid offensive skills--that's what we need right there. He'd be a bit of a project cleaning up his defensive game, but not as much as you'd expect by his numbers... a lot of his issues are due to the Oilers themselves.

On a side note, it's amazing how opinions of players swing so dramatically purely based on their play any given month or two.

A lot of his issues are due to his nonchalant attitude towards defending.

Helm for Petry could really work.

This guy (Petry) is a consistent threat for boneheaded plays. Id give the Oilers Andersson and Kindl. That's it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I live in Edmonton, watch the Oilers all the time. Hall and RNH are the only players I have interest in.

I would take guys Like Eberle, Petry and Schultz in a trade below market value, but that's it.

Yeah I would love to see Hall in a Red Wings Jersey, But I really don't want to have to give up Mantha++ to see that happen. Eberle would be the next logical choice only because he's a right handed shot that we desperately need. One of either Schultz or Petry would be nice Schultz might be a slight upgrade over Petry though maybe not by much Petry can be had much cheaper and being from the Detroit Area Detroit would most likely have first pick of locking him up long term I would think that 6 years $27 million for Petry should get the job done or something like the Ericsson signing perhaps.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
I'd like Schultz maybe in a sorta hidden role. Starting shifts at offensive zone faceoffs and some power play time. Asking price would be high on him and probably to high for what Holland will give up

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I've been a big fan of Helm but I'd have to take a Petry for Helm deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad