Would you rather keep Markstrom to mentor Wolf, or trade him for a haul?

Keep Markstrom or trade him before the start of next season?

• Keep him

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Trade him

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Trade him... we're trying to do a renovation here folks. Sell that expensive expensive dining room set to help pay for new kitchen appliances.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If NJ is willing to part with their first I trade him in the blink of an eye. There are some really solid players available in the middle of the first.

Anything else would be gravy

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Well if we don't have to retain anymore I think I've made my mind up pretty easily on the direction the team should go.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Trade him. He's 34. It was just last year when this was an untradeable contract and he was in the bottom tier of starters in the league. This team won't be competing for a Stanley Cup in the 2 years remaining on his contract and his value will never be higher than it is now.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Was completely onboard for keeping him to mentor Wolf, but if we're trading half of our top 4, we're going to be losing regardless and any veteran goalie can platoon with the kid to alleviate the pressure of losing.

Not to mention, Markstrom's value might not get higher than it is now. I'm afraid his value will go down when he gets shelled after we trade the rest of our defense. Have the chance to capitalize and get out from the rest of his contract without retention while grabbing some great futures...and it's not like we're going to be winning anytime during the rest of his contract. He's also 34.

Doesn't make sense to keep him. He gone.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Trade him.

I just wish we could have done these trades 3 weeks ago and not played with my feelings/hopes as we started winning.

Reactions: flames23

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Markstrom is 34. If you are gonna start tearing it down then don't do it half assed. Teams will pay for a good goalie.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Elite goalie but if Jersey come back with a great asset capital on the table, we got to let go. Lost 4:3 to Ducks just now and their starter kid looked worn down, didn’t make any major save on a few shots he had faced.

I think their GM shut his bed 2 weeks ago when he was probably haggling on retention..

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I feel like it’s only a matter of time after those comments yesterday, still feels like off-season but I think he asks out.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mentor what? Don’t they already have a goaltending coach or 2?

Trade him yesterday already

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Mentor what? Don’t they already have a goaltending coach or 2?

Trade him yesterday already
Coaching and mentoring are certainly not the same.

Although I do think Markstrom should be dealt, that’s an incredibly important distinction to make. The main reason I wouldn’t be onboard with a Vladar/Wolf tandem next year, really.

Reactions: Kahvi

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Coaching and mentoring are certainly not the same.

Although I do think Markstrom should be dealt, that’s an incredibly important distinction to make. The main reason I wouldn’t be onboard with a Vladar/Wolf tandem next year, really.
Wolf either has it or he doesn’t

What make you think the mentorship from Markstrom would make a big difference ? Or even Markstrom is a good mentor?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wolf either has it or he doesn’t

What make you think the mentorship from Markstrom would make a big difference ? Or even Markstrom is a good mentor?
It’s not on him to either have it or not have it - that’s a coaching thing.

Markstrom has the experience of being a highly touted prospect who struggled to break through for a bit before becoming one of the best goalies in the league. That’s not nothing.

Again, I didn’t even say he should be mentored by Markstrom - the assets from that trade could be huge, and the relationship between he and the Flames have soured. But Wolf needs something, and it sure isn’t coming from Vladar.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If NJ is willing to part with their first I trade him in the blink of an eye. There are some really solid players available in the middle of the first.

Anything else would be gravy
Yeah that first is a mystery box and could easily be top 12 which is Iginla territory. Without Markstrom the Flames pick top 10 where there are 3 blue chip D available after the top 5.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I’m torn between keeping Markstrom and trading him this summer. On one hand, I think he’d be the perfect mentor for Wolf. He would be able to shelter Wolf by start ~60ish games and well, mentor him. Markstrom is a fierce competitor and seems to be well regarded by the team and organization.

The other side of me wants to trade him for a decent haul ( say roster player, young player, first round pick kind of return). It would kick start this rebuild/ re-tool into overdrive. We would also be guaranteed to finish bottom 10 next year, thus making sure that Florida doesn’t get out 2025 first rounder (someone correct me if I’m wrong on that).

What says you, HF Flames?
Some players might benefit from a mentor like that but it isn't a measurable thing. Different eras and very different styles for those two. I wouldn't assume its necessary for Wolf's success. In terms of carrying the weight, you don't need a Markstrom level goalie to prevent Wolf from being over used, just a durable one. I think they need to add a better vet than Vladar no matter what, and I suspect one would be coming back to make the cap work for the other club, I think the Jersey deal is dead but as an example they would have been sending Vanicek back for sure and he was actually pretty decent until this season. 52 games last year so he can be a horse if needed.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Can I vote for both choices?
We have to look back a few years, we struggled in net forever once Kipper retired.
We had so many retreads in net. I know Wolf is coming with a strong pedigree, and last year when Markstrom struggled it was tough to watch. You need good to great goaltending for the Flames. We can compete with great goaltending, we can't compete with mediocre goaltending.

If we can get an absolute haul that nobody in their right mind can turn down then yes, take it, trade Markstrom.
If that offer does not come through, I'm on board to holding onto him until that offer does come.
So I'm kind of torn. I'm in my early 50's, I don't want to watch us flounder in the basement while we rebuild with a bunch of stop-gap players. Every season I think playoffs, that's the goal right? Get into the playoffs and compete for Lord Stanley.
Most of the time you need a goalie that steals games unless you have a hell of a complete team. At the moment we do not have that complete team.
Anyways, I'm on the fence.
If he's traded I'm excited to see what's coming, that's for sure.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Trade him if you're getting a Holtz+1st or Mercer straight up type of deal. You can always go out and sign a Talbot like vet in free agency

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The idea of having Wolf as our A guy is scary. The guy hasn't shown anything tangible in the Show to let me believe in him.

On that merit, if we let Marky go- before TDL or in the summer- I want Vladar at the helm as our main guy.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
At this point Vladar has grown his game and matured enough, from playing with Markstrom, to be able to commiserate with a young Wolf and pass along words of wisdom when needed.

The Flames also have goaltending coaches who played the game that can also give Wolf the benefit of their experiences.

What none have, I presume, is that fire and competitiveness that Marky brings.

Oh I'm sure both Vladdy and Wolf have competitiveness, but perhaps not yet at the level the Marky has.

So as much as I would like to keep Marky, that's why we signed him after all, it makes more sense to trade him than one of the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad