Would you rather keep Markstrom to mentor Wolf, or trade him for a haul?

Keep Markstrom or trade him before the start of next season?

• Keep him

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Trade him

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I’m torn between keeping Markstrom and trading him this summer. On one hand, I think he’d be the perfect mentor for Wolf. He would be able to shelter Wolf by start ~60ish games and well, mentor him. Markstrom is a fierce competitor and seems to be well regarded by the team and organization.

The other side of me wants to trade him for a decent haul ( say roster player, young player, first round pick kind of return). It would kick start this rebuild/ re-tool into overdrive. We would also be guaranteed to finish bottom 10 next year, thus making sure that Florida doesn’t get out 2025 first rounder (someone correct me if I’m wrong on that).

What says you, HF Flames?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It depends on the return. You don't move him for the sake of moving him, it has to be a trade that makes sense.

With the Necas rumors, I've been wondering if something like Andersson + Markstrom for Necas + Andersen + Cap Dump (Unfortunately probably DeAngelo) could work for both teams. Gives Carolina unreal defensive depth, and a legit top goalie for a playoff run, as well as insurance on the blueline with all their pending UFAs. It gives the Flames a potential #1C since Necas wants to play C, and a veteran to mentor Wolf.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
If we are trading Anderson and Markstrom we better be getting more than Necas and a goalie who is made of glass and a cap dump.

Andersson should only be traded for a stupid overpay. He’s the future captain of this team IMO

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we are trading Anderson and Markstrom we better be getting more than Necas and a goalie who is made of glass and a cap dump.

Andersson should only be traded for a stupid overpay. He’s the future captain of this team IMO
25 year old Potential #1Cs are worth more than #1/2 RHD

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Trade him. He’s been up and down the past few years, some great seasons and some not so much. Would he have any value if he had a repeat of last season as an example? No, but the team has an opportunity to sell high on a great season instead.

He’s also 34 and the team isn’t going to be competitive the last 2 seasons for his contract. If jersey is offering say holtz +, I’d take that any day.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
True, I just don’t know if I see Necas as that dude. I may be wrong, but if Caronlina is shopping him maybe they don’t either.

let’s say the Markstrom return with jersey was Holtz, Casey and a 1st. (Probably a little high but just for arguements sake)

What is Anderson worth signed for a couple more years at a decent cap hit? Probably a first +A prospect and a roster player would be my guess.

So would you trade all those assets for Necas, a injury prone goalie and a cap dump?

I think that’s far too little of a return myself.

But I’ve been wrong before haha

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
True, I just don’t know if I see Necas as that dude. I may be wrong, but if Caronlina is shopping him maybe they don’t either.

let’s say the Markstrom return with jersey was Holtz, Casey and a 1st. (Probably a little high but just for arguements sake)

What is Anderson worth signed for a couple more years at a decent cap hit? Probably a first +A prospect and a roster player would be my guess.

So would you trade all those assets for Necas, a injury prone goalie and a cap dump?

I think that’s far too little of a return myself.

But I’ve been wrong before haha
The rumor was Holtz, Vanecek and a 1st or 2nd, with NJ wanting retention on Markstrom.

You also can't look at a goalie and determine the value of a defenseman. The are completely different markets.

The way I look at this is Necas has more value than Andersson, and Markstrom more than Andersen, maybe the gap between Markstrom and Andersen is larger than the other, but it's probably no more than a B prospect that never turns into more than an NHL tweener.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I say stay to mentor Wolf, but that's with the caveat that we aren't offered something really worth it. Remember, we don't need to trade Markstrom, and he'd be an awesome mentor for Wolf. But if a good/great offer comes along (say that NJ deal of Holtz or Mercer, Vanacek, and a 1st for Marky with some retention) then you take it.

As for the Andersson one, you don't trade him without a massive overpay. One, the guy is likely the future captain of the team. Two, he's done exactly what the team needed from him to even be a player (remember all the stuff he was being told he had to do to even get his contract, and then to make it to the big club as well in terms of diet and conditioning). Three, he's one of like 3 defensemen who has put up a high number of points, hits, and blocked shots. Four, he's a guy who does it all for us (ES, PP, PK, is relatively successful on all of those), and more importantly, fifth, seems like a guy who actually wants to be here, which is really important given how things have shaken out the last couple seasons.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
25 YO actual #1 C are
but Necas is 25 YO top 6 RW who has decided he wants to be a center, still hasn't cracked a ppg or 30 goals are not worth more than actual top pair RHD. He is the player that is included in that trade, along with a high pick and possibly a prospect.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If its between those 2 choices, then you take "the haul", which I'm assuming is a really good return.

Being pretty good over the past few weeks and now close to a PO spot, that throws a wrench into things. This trade needed to me made a month ago.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
25 YO actual #1 C are
but Necas is 25 YO top 6 RW who has decided he wants to be a center, still hasn't cracked a ppg or 30 goals are not worth more than actual top pair RHD. He is the player that is included in that trade, along with a high pick and possibly a prospect.
You know you don't have to be over a point per game to be a top line player, right? Of players to play a minimum of 100 games over the last 3 years, Necas is in the 90 in points per game. He's also tied for 40th for players listed as Cs on NHL.com, which includes a good number of "centers" that aren't really centers.

Also, Necas was drafted as a C by Brind'Amour won't play him there because he's not as good defensively as the other centers they have.

There is no reason to think he wouldn't at least be a low end #1C

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I wouldn’t trade him just for the sake of trading him but if you get a good package I’d do it

New Jersey seems like the only real fit to me right now. I think Carolina sticks with Kochetkov, he’s been great in 2024 and Andersen will be back soon too

Oilers/Kings/Leafs are the only other playoff bound teams in need of a goaltending upgrade and they’d have to do some cap magic to fit him in. Leafs and Oilers likely want to prioritize adding depth over goaltending too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn’t trade him just for the sake of trading him but if you get a good package I’d do it

New Jersey seems like the only real fit to me right now. I think Carolina sticks with Kochetkov, he’s been great in 2024 and Andersen will be back soon too

Oilers/Kings/Leafs are the only other playoff bound teams in need of a goaltending upgrade and they’d have to do some cap magic to fit him in. Leafs and Oilers likely want to prioritize adding depth over goaltending too
I think that's why you wait until the draft. I know people love to claim that deadline values are the highest, but I don't think that's true for goalies. For goalies, it always comes down to the number of buyers vs sellers. If you look around the league, there are at least 10 teams that need a new starter or to upgrade their goaltending, and like 3-4 legitimately good #1 goalies available.

Columbus, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Jose, and Toronto could all use Markstrom due to their goalies being subpar, or becoming free agents. Obviously not all of them will seek out help, but if even half those teams are interested in upgrading their goaltending, there will be bidding wars for legit starters such as Saros, Ullmark & Markstrom... maybe Gibson, depending what you think of him.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I think that's why you wait until the draft. I know people love to claim that deadline values are the highest, but I don't think that's true for goalies. For goalies, it always comes down to the number of buyers vs sellers. If you look around the league, there are at least 10 teams that need a new starter or to upgrade their goaltending, and like 3-4 legitimately good #1 goalies available.

Columbus, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Jose, and Toronto could all use Markstrom due to their goalies being subpar, or becoming free agents. Obviously not all of them will seek out help, but if even half those teams are interested in upgrading their goaltending, there will be bidding wars for legit starters such as Saros, Ullmark & Markstrom... maybe Gibson, depending what you think of him.

Wonder if there’s something to be done with Ottawa. Take Korpisalo back as a dump to increase the value. I think he’s a good bounce back candidate on a more structured team and decent enough when he’s on to work in a tandem with Wolf. Not like the team is going to be competitive over the next couple of years anyway

Trade Vladar for a pick in the summer too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wonder if there’s something to be done with Ottawa. Take Korpisalo back as a dump to increase the value. I think he’s a good bounce back candidate on a more structured team and decent enough when he’s on to work in a tandem with Wolf. Not like the team is going to be competitive over the next couple of years anyway

Trade Vladar for a pick in the summer too
I've wondered about Ottawa myself. But honestly, I think they're basically f***ed. Dorian really f***ed them over, they're a shitty team that literally traded away the #7 and #12 picks in the last 2 years, and at some point in the next 3 years they have to forfeit another for Dorian mishandling Dadonov's NTC. Then on top of it DeBrincat wanted out after a year and Dorian botched that trade too. Now there is talk Chychrun wants out too.

That said, I hate the Sens and I find it all pretty hilarious and I'd love for Staios to be as stupid as Dorian, but I'm not sure he will be.

If we wanted Holtz and a first for Markstrom and to take Vanecek, you'd have to think we'd want more to take Korpi's god awful contract that has 4 years left. I'd want their 1st this year and Pinto to swap Marky for Korpi.

Oh and we ain't getting as pick for Vladar at this point. Either we're going to buy him out, attach a pick (3rd probably) for someone to take him, or trade him for an equally poor contract. I'd look to do the latter and try and get a defenseman since we'll be down a few.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I've wondered about Ottawa myself. But honestly, I think they're basically f***ed. Dorian really f***ed them over, they're a shitty team that literally traded away the #7 and #12 picks in the last 2 years, and at some point in the next 3 years they have to forfeit another for Dorian mishandling Dadonov's NTC. Then on top of it DeBrincat wanted out after a year and Dorian botched that trade too. Now there is talk Chychrun wants out too.

That said, I hate the Sens and I find it all pretty hilarious and I'd love for Staios to be as stupid as Dorian, but I'm not sure he will be.

If we wanted Holtz and a first for Markstrom and to take Vanecek, you'd have to think we'd want more to take Korpi's god awful contract that has 4 years left. I'd want their 1st this year and Pinto to swap Marky for Korpi.

Oh and we ain't getting as pick for Vladar at this point. Either we're going to buy him out, attach a pick (3rd probably) for someone to take him, or trade him for an equally poor contract. I'd look to do the latter and try and get a defenseman since we'll be down a few.

Meh, if you have to pay to dump the last year of Vladar just waive him and if he goes unclaimed bury him. Would only cost a mil against the cap for one year

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Meh, if you have to pay to dump the last year of Vladar just waive him and if he goes unclaimed bury him. Would only cost a mil against the cap for one year
This. Initially I thought a buyout but the hit is similar and less time.

I only move Markstrom if the deal brings back good value. Don't move him for the sake of moving him.

The other consideration is the stupid ass Monahan trade. We need our pick to be top 10 preferably, then we give them Florida's. Markstrom is playing well enough this year that I worry about him keeping us out of the top ten next year.

Reactions: crackdown44

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You have to trade him. Keeping Markstrom just delays the inevitable. If he has a good season he props up a mediocre team, if he has a bad season then he loses his trade value.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Markstrom 50% retained to Edmonton for Campbell, ‘24 1st, ‘25 1st, Holloway, Broberg

Campbell guarantees some high picks. Tbh I don’t even think Holloway or Broberg amount to much so this would be pointless anyway

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Mckrakken

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Markstrom 50% retained to Edmonton for Campbell, ‘24 1st, ‘25 1st, Holloway, Broberg

Campbell guarantees some high picks. Tbh I don’t even think Holloway or Broberg amount to much so this would be pointless anyway
I don't know how accurate it is, but the rumor is Nashville asked for Mercer, Casey, Schmid, 1st in 24, 2nd n 25 for Saros and Carrier

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I don't know how accurate it is, but the rumor is Nashville asked for Mercer, Casey, Schmid, 1st in 24, 2nd n 25 for Saros and Carrier

That’s a pretty insane ask if it’s true. I’d be happy with Holtz, 1st and Vanecek tbh

I like Casey a lot too he just seems redundant in play style when we already have Poirier/Morin/Bru in the system. He’s also from Florida and 2 years away from being a free agent if he wants to stay in college so that scares the shit out of me as well

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I wouldn't trade him to rely on Wolf. I would trade him to rely on Vladar. Wolf can be his understudy.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
A few years ago, Markstrom's contract 6M x, looked big - not so much anymore, especially with Cap increase coming next season. Hmm, what was the question?

I expected this team to be a lot worse by now, after trading Lindholm. During the shutout loss to the Rangers I thought this was it and the scoring would dry up, losses pile up. We are still the best 17th place team this league has ever seen (post trades made).

So, this year is done, the team won't drop much if anything, even if they traded Marky, Tanev and Hanafin at the deadline. Now I wonder if we only trade Hanafin / Tanev what this team might look like next year (better than expected already). Maybe we should move Kunetzov, keep Markstrom and if Vladar has another start like that vs. the Oil, someone would grab him, for something. Personally, all was lost for me with Markstrom when the Oilers got into his head - if not for that it wouldnt be debateable.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A few years ago, Markstrom's contract 6M x, looked big - not so much anymore, especially with Cap increase coming next season. Hmm, what was the question?

I expected this team to be a lot worse by now, after trading Lindholm. During the shutout loss to the Rangers I thought this was it and the scoring would dry up, losses pile up. We are still the best 17th place team this league has ever seen (post trades made).

So, this year is done, the team won't drop much if anything, even if they traded Marky, Tanev and Hanafin at the deadline. Now I wonder if we only trade Hanafin / Tanev what this team might look like next year (better than expected already). Maybe we should move Kunetzov, keep Markstrom and if Vladar has another start like that vs. the Oil, someone would grab him, for something. Personally, all was lost for me with Markstrom when the Oilers got into his head - if not for that it wouldnt be debateable.
Their GA will shoot to the moon after the deadline, but in terms of scoring they are a pretty decent team and I think that is the best we can hope for. No true superstars, but the depth is actually very very solid. Hoping for lots of 5-4 games with Wolf or Vladar saving 40+ shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisOsullivan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I lean more towards keeping him but if the offer blows your socks off then sure you can trade him.

Young goalies are fragile by rule, the safety net Markstrom would provide to ensure Wolf can develop at the NHL level at a pace that works best for him is likely as valuable as a 1st rd pick. There's a reason the Master-Apprentice method of learning a trade has been used for literally thousands of years. It took Marky almost 10 years to break the 50GP in a season threshold in the NHL, he's a guy worth learning from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad