Would you Rather Keep Boychuk or Krug?

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
With no cap ramifications, I keep Boychuk hands down. He plays Bruins hockey, physical, tough and hard nosed. And his shot from the point isn't bad either, he can even shoot from spots where the goalie can't pick up the puck because of the seats ;)
However, with the cap going down it might be tough to keep him. And let's face it, when a player has won the Cup, his stock goes up. I'd be a bit worried about the physicality of the D once you get past Chara/Seids, Krug's size is suspect even if he handles himself well most times.

Bojakees*

Guess what Krug also does things on he ice Boychuck could never do. He is an explosive puck rusher, and an absolutely dynamic PP QB, something this organization has lacked for more than a decade and wasted a TON of assets chasing the Sergei Gonchar's and Thomas Kaberle's of the world trying to fill

Krug is far from an explosive puck rusher. He in fact is not even close. He looks fine in open space but he cannot skate in any traffic and falls down when confronted on his skates. He does control the point in excellent fashion but that is all he excels at. No physical game, not strong coming out of corners or 1 on 1 battles. Good passer but will cough it up. Sell high now. Just my opinion. I think Morrow will be head and shoulders better at some point.

Hamilton and Morrow will more then fill any offensive as will Bartkowski. Krug can be fine on the PP. I just don't know how he will do at the other end. I like the dmen bigger and more physical. As for Boychuck, He was jus great offensively in the playoffs and has a cannon. His offensive game is fine. Not a lot Krug can do that Johnny B cant.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If its a necessary salary dump it has to be Boychuck. Aside from that I'd keep him.

Krug? Sample size too small for me. I don't know if he may be just Greg Hawgood II.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If you had to keep one and move one who would you stick with? Also what would you expect back?

I would move Krug... Just signed Morrow who is projected to be a stud and moving Krug's incentive bonus would be a big cap help.

If its me I keep both and I probably play them together. I think krug needs someone with size. I probably put bartowski with seidenberg. I let hamilton play with chara.

This makes mcquaid my odd man out. I liked mcquaid when he was the kid playing with a vet like ference. I don't like mcquaid as much if his partner is a kid. Sign me a cheap vet like redden for the 7th dman and get some value back for mcquaid. Pick up deadline help if necessary later. Morrow might be needed to replace seidenberg next year depending on the cap

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Krug is far from an explosive puck rusher. He in fact is not even close. He looks fine in open space but he cannot skate in any traffic and falls down when confronted on his skates. He does control the point in excellent fashion but that is all he excels at. No physical game, not strong coming out of corners or 1 on 1 battles. Good passer but will cough it up. Sell high now. Just my opinion. I think Morrow will be head and shoulders better at some point.

Hamilton and Morrow will more then fill any offensive as will Bartkowski. Krug can be fine on the PP. I just don't know how he will do at the other end. I like the dmen bigger and more physical. As for Boychuck, He was jus great offensively in the playoffs and has a cannon. His offensive game is fine. Not a lot Krug can do that Johnny B cant.

Yet Krug was deemed better by the management team in the playoffs.

I really don't see where your assessment of his game comes from. He seemed fine in traffic to me. No physical game at all? Hardly. Will cough it up? Based on one play I guess. 15 playoff games he was on the ice for barely any goals at all (+5). And had zero penalties.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I'd keep Boychuk for a couple reasons. 1- Bruins lack depth of RHD. 2- man is a playoff warrior. 3- he's one of our most physical defensemen. 4- eats 20+ minutes a night. Unless the Bruins get back a player that can do all that it's just going to put more minutes on the shoulders of Chara and Seids which as we saw in the finals eventually takes its toll.

I'd rather trade Kelly but would package Boychuk and Kelly together for a #3/4 D if the right deal came along. Who that player would be I dunno.

member 96824

Krug is Bourque? Jesus guys....he could be Hunwick just as easy:/

That being said, I move Boychuk if I have to...even though im not close to comfortable next year with Bart, Krug, AND Dougie in the top 6.

SElling high on Krug isnt a bad option, but it doesnt help cap either

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I really don't see where your assessment of his game comes from. He seemed fine in traffic to me. No physical game at all? Hardly. Will cough it up? Based on one play I guess. 15 playoff games he was on the ice for barely any goals at all (+5). And had zero penalties.

I agree.I thought Krug excelled skating in traffic and battled hard physically.Krug is not a banger,that's not his game but he did not seem intimidated physically. Not every defenceman can be like Boychuck as far as the physical game goes.I like both defenceman and hope they both stay.I wouldn't call Krug untouchable but I certainly want to see what he can do over the course of a full year.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'd rather keep both, and I do not see any reason why both cannot be kept. There is not much similarity between the two, so both could have a role in making Boston successful next season. The main similarity at this point is that they both came up big in the playoffs. Boychuk is a known quantity -- big physical presence with a howitzer of a shot, and can somewhat be an enforcer if need be with intimidation. Krug is a bit undersized, but plays tough and has shown some sick skill. He also is a strong passer. The reason I would not want to give up Krug is that we don't have any idea at this point what his ceiling is. Was the playoff performance an anomaly, or was it a sign of things to come from Krug? If it was a sign of things to come then this kid will only improve with experience and could become an impact player. And perhaps the main reason I would not want to give up either player is that I don't see another team giving us decent return for them in relation to what they can do for us if they stay.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Krug is Bourque? Jesus guys....he could be Hunwick just as easy:/

That being said, I move Boychuk if I have to...even though im not close to comfortable next year with Bart, Krug, AND Dougie in the top 6.

SElling high on Krug isnt a bad option, but it doesnt help cap either

Bourque is the greatest defenseman of modern times. And I think Bourque is actually MUCH better than Lidstrom or any of the other ****S that stole Norris's from him. (Pronger at his MVP level before the back problems is really the only guy at his level.)

Of course Krug isn't that. But honestly whenever he has the puck it feels like I am watching Bourque again just he's in Don Sweeney's body. Krug just has that slickness Ray did, and has his composure starting the rush.

He is just very good in the offensive zone, he gets pucks on net somehow that other guys wouldn't, is very creative in finding an open teammate, and has a shot that is second to none in terms of velocity and accuracy. I sort of expect him to pick up enough cheap second assists to go with his goals and primary assists to lead us in points, maybe even from the third pairing without a promotion.

(Noone on our team likes to lead us in scoring in fashion our leading scorer always only has 1-2 points more than the next guy. Seguin leading us in scoring was a smoke screen. And the year before when Bergy led is in scoring he didn't have as good a year as the two that followed it when he didn't lead us in scoring.)

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I'm with you, but mostly because I'm not sold on Krug yet. Every time an agile puckmoving defenseman comes through we fall in love with him (Hunwick, Kampfer, etc.), only to find out later that he's a total liability defensively or a turnover machine. I'm not necessarily saying that Krug is going to follow that trend at all, but there is precedence here for it. If someone blew me away with an offer for Krug then I'd sell high.

Obviously I'd just assume keep both and see how the season plays out.

My sentiments exactly regarding that last statement. We haven't seen enough of Krug to make a quality judgement... and Boychuk is a defensive beast who makes opposing forwards thing twice about how they operate in our zone.

Boychuk is one of the best open-ice hitters we have. He hits hard, and he hits clean... he provides intangibles that cannot be tracked on a score sheet.

Krug, OTOH, is an exceptionally good skating D-man who maneuvers on the ice quite well. The way he undressed the NHL's top goalie (Henrik Lundy) was truly a sight to behold. But even when the highlight-reel scoring subsided -- aside from a couple bad turnovers -- Krug impressed me, all in all.

Clearly Krug impressed Julien too, since he played pretty big minutes against the Pens and in the SCF. The kid is not afraid to throw it at the net, and unlike some of our players (i won't name names) he actually gets it ON NET. Shot accuracy from the point is huge, once it hits the goalie anything can happen... plus it keeps the opposing goalie guessing. With the way Eriksson will be crashing the net next season, lord i cannot wait for October.

Considering he is young and literally burst onto the scene out of nowhere, it's hard not to notice how composed the kid seemed out there... thrown into the fire on the biggest hockey stage in the world. He kept his cool and showed he could really develop into a stud PP-QB, and he held his own against bigger guys.

I get the feeling that if Krug were 6'+ 200-210 lbs. he would have been a well-known top prospect for a while. Then again, if that were the case he probably wouldn't be on our roster.

I like the wait and see approach. But Krug definitely impressed -- all things considered -- in the short but intense sample we were given of his play. Getting thrown into the fire like that and keeping composure is a HUGE test just in itself, IMO...

Bojakees*

You are say that the MANAGEMENT of the BRUINS deemed that Krug was better then Boychuck in the playoffs ?

You are actually saying this ? Because I never saw this anywhere. Please show me where Bruin management expressed that Krug was better then Boychuck in this seasons playoffs ? I would like to see it.

As for the rest...It is just what I said. He cannot move around or through any type of defensive coverage. He is only a point man. I think he is moveable in the right deal at some point.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'd rather keep both if that can be possible. I'd hate to get rid of McQuaid or Bartkowski, but I'd let either or both of those two go before Boychuck or Krug.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You are say that the MANAGEMENT of the BRUINS deemed that Krug was better then Boychuck in the playoffs ?

You are actually saying this ? Because I never saw this anywhere. Please show me where Bruin management expressed that Krug was better then Boychuck in this seasons playoffs ? I would like to see it.

As for the rest...It is just what I said. He cannot move around or through any type of defensive coverage. He is only a point man. I think he is moveable in the right deal at some point.

I guess I wasn't very clear. You misinterpreted what I meant.

Bruins management deemed Krug better than Hamilton & Bartkowski in the playoffs.

OutspokenMinority*

i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm not sure Dennis Seidenberg is as good as he was in 2011 anymore. if anybody has to go, it just might be him. but if it really is between Boychuck and Krug, Krug goes and I don't think it's close. the Bruins keep bigger defensemen over smaller ones without much exception and Jonny is a proven playoff warrior. they both make some really dumb plays but Jonny causes more opponents to feel physical pain and I think that is the deciding factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad