Would you rather have Noah Dobson or Brady Tkachuk?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So back in the 2018 draft, I had about 4 players I wanted ahead of Tkachuk.

Zadina, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, and Dobson.

Fast forward and I'm legit glad that I was wrong on Zadina, Wahlstrom, and Boqvist. I'm glad we have Tkachuk over those 3. However, Noah Dobson on the other hand makes me a bit iffy. I know Tkachuk has a ton of value and importance for us, but I legit feel Dobson would make the team much better.

We'd have more cap space and not need to make any further moves this soffseason had we drafted Dobson.

Imagine going into 2022-2023 with this lineup:
Debrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton/Joseph-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Formenton/Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Dobson
Sanderson-Zub
Holden-Hamonic

Sure our top 6 isn't as strong as it is now, and the 2nd line could even struggle now and then at times, but our top 4 would be excellent and would immensely help our forwards as well. Not to mention an excellent 3rd line. So if I had the chance to choose between Tkachuk or Dobson, I'd choose Dobson in a redraft.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You may be right but I don't think that applies in this market

We needed Brady Tkachuk. We needed that personality to sign here long term

Tkachuk is the king pin that is reinvigorating this market

Could Dobson have done that? Idk. But Tkachuk has done it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
From purely an on the ice impact perspective both players are great additions to a team and I could go either way. But looking at Tkachuk's impact on this market beyond the ice, it's hard to argue that he's not the right guy for us right now. He's been a perfect fit and embodies what this team wants to be.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Absolutely not.

Would Brady’s best friend Norris have extended without Tkachuk?

Would Giroux have signed here without Tkachuk (keep in mind he mentioned being interested in how the team plays hard)?

Would Dorion have been convinced to accelerate the rebuild without Tkachuk bringing his demands to him?

Would the team’s apparent culture change and closeness have developed without Tkachuk?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah I had all those guys after Brady and still do. We made the right pick.
Tkachuk was never a question mark in my mind. (Was jumping up and down when mtl didn’t take him. Was actually expecting them to take zadina.
The problem I had was with the next pick. I wanted us to pick miller. Then after the trade I would have taken durzi instead of tychonik. Hopefully JBD works out. He looks decent so far so there’s potential there but it’s 50/50 whether that was a screw up. Will have to wait and see on that one.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Yeah I had all those guys after Brady and still do. We made the right pick.
Tkachuk was never a question mark in my mind. (Was jumping up and down when mtl didn’t take him. Was actually expecting them to take zadina.
The problem I had was with the next pick. I wanted us to pick miller. Then after the trade I would have taken durzi instead of tychonik. Hopefully JBD works out. He looks decent so far so there’s potential there but it’s 50/50 whether that was a screw up. Will have to wait and see on that one.

I would say well beyond 50/50, in that senators fans have tried to trade every single prospect they could this past month and no one has even bothered to insult the other team's fans by including tychonik.

Big miss.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I wanted Dobson on draft day and still think he would have been a great pick. Having said that I'm not even a little disappointed that we chose Tkachuk.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk easily, but I would consider moving DeBrincat for Dobson RD.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can’t believe this is even a thread.

If you don’t grasp the concept of the total impact Brady has on this franchise I’m not sure what to tell you.
To be fair, Dobson is at a disadvantage since we can't know the total impact he'd have had on this franchise.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If I was the GM of some random NHL out there I'd thinnk long and hard about Dobson over Tkachuk. He's looking like one of the best young RD in the league. He's a very rare commodity and a fantastic player.

But for Ottawa right now I think Tkachuk is the right player. 30 goal scorer who brings some swagger. A great fit for a team trying to create some buzz.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When OV knocked out Svechnikov after Svechnikov asked for it that decided it for me. OV wouldn’t even square up with Brady

Tkachuk all the way

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad