Would you rather finish bottom-5 this season or fight for the playoffs?

Top-5 pick or fight for a wild card spot?

• Total voters

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
right now im of the opinion that a win is great, but a loss is just as good

I think reactions also vary depending on how this team wins.

Do they win because Kakko, Chytil, Fox and ADA contribute?

Or do they win because a puck bounces off Smith's ass and Staal plays his best game of the last half-decade?

One feels like it represents the future, the other feels like a forgettable moment featuring a player who will not be part of what we hope to become.

And I think you see some of that from game to game.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just think purposely tanking / rooting for losses brings more negatives than positives. Try and win every game and then let the chips fall where they may.

I can see that perspective.

I can also see the perspective that sometimes a step back allows for two steps forward.

But I also think the "try to win" mindset is present either way.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I took it as a which would you rather do thing.

It's almost a sure thing that neither thing happens. They have a better chance of picking in the top 5 than they do of making the playoffs, though the former will likely take lottery luck.

Ah, very possible I misinterpreted what it means, yeah.

I just have a difficult time divorcing what we will have to do at the deadline from answering this poll.

We don't fight for the playoffs without losing our minds and holding on to Kreider and Fast, but we don't get a bottom five finish without sitting through 34 games of guys being pissed that our young players are making steps. Both of those options sound like garbage to me.

Reactions: Maximus

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Same. It's like having a safety net.

I want our guys to take huge steps and to wreck teams every night, but realistically there's a very good chance that they play a little under .500 the rest of the way and finish in that 6th-8th range. A fine result for the youngest team in the league, while also netting us a top 10 pick (+ a 1st rounder from Kreider). A good season for where we're at.
the only games i TRULY TRULY care about are games against the fish sticks, as a kid growing up on long island they are such pain in the asses

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I can see that perspective.

I can also see the perspective that sometimes a step back allows for two steps forward.

But I also think the "try to win" mindset is present either way.

They've taken enough steps back the last few years. They've restocked the system, totally shaken up the lineup and they're playing and getting contributions from young guys. As a fan, I want to see this team push for a playoff spot this year. I'm not saying be buyers at the deadline or anything but I don't really care to watch another sell off either. As far as prospects and draft picks go, nothing is guaranteed. It's up to the Gods. I'm not gonna be heartbroken if they don't make it, that's fine too. I just don't worry about their draft position or cap situation during the season.

Reactions: Maximus and Mandar

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ah, very possible I misinterpreted what it means, yeah.

I just have a difficult time divorcing what we will have to do at the deadline from answering this poll.

We don't fight for the playoffs without losing our minds and holding on to Kreider and Fast, but we don't get a bottom five finish without sitting through 34 games of guys being pissed that our young players are making steps. Both of those options sound like garbage to me.

I expect us to finish right about where we're at right now.

After that, it's in the hands of the Hockey Gods.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They've taken enough steps back the last few years. They've restocked the system, totally shaken up the lineup and they're playing and getting contributions from young guys. As a fan, I want to see this team push for a playoff spot this year. I'm not saying be buyers at the deadline or anything but I don't really care to watch another sell off either. As far as prospects and draft picks go, nothing is guaranteed. It's up to the Gods. I'm not gonna be heartbroken if they don't make it, that's fine too. I just don't worry about their draft position or cap situation during the season.

And that's fair enough.

Personally, I didn't have that expectation for this season. For me, progress is represented by the growth of our young players and how the team comes together. In that regard, I'm happier if this team finishes 32-50, but sees meaningful progress and effort from its young players, then I am seeing this team go 52-30 but rely more heavily on veteran talents. While getting playoff experience would benefit the kids we have, I'd prefer to have a shot at one more higher-ceiling player --- especially a forward.

I think there's a misconception that preferring a high pick over the playoffs means preferring that our kids fail. On the contrary, I'd like them to succeed, and grow, and progress. But if I can get that, and add another top prospect, I'd prefer that over having them succeed, and grow, and progress and get bounced in the playoffs instead.

So for me, the progress of our young players is at the center of everything about this season. But if I'm being asked to pick a side dish, yeah I'd prefer the pick over the fleeting playoff push at this particular juncture.

But I've also been vocal in my belief that if this team challenged for the playoffs, off the hard work and progress of our young talent, I wouldn't be heartbroken by any stretch.

I would be annoyed if it was based on an over-reliance on veterans playing their last games for the Rangers, or hot streaks from a generic journeyman player whose name we will struggle to remember in two years. In other other words, if Kakko wins a game and we drop a spot in the draft, I'm okay with that. If McKegg posts his first professional hat trick, and then I have to check to see if he dressed the following night, yeah, it would be a bit more annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I expect us to finish right about where we're at right now.

After that, it's in the hands of the Hockey Gods.

Same. Even with the harder schedule and no Kreider for the last while, it will be a tough ask for us to drop much past 6th. Especially not with guys like Fox, Chytil, and Kakko that may all take another step any week.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Same. Even with the harder schedule and no Kreider for the last while, it will be a tough ask for us to drop much past 6th. Especially not with guys like Fox, Chytil, and Kakko that may all take another step any week.

It's going to be hard to drop beyond that because there are teams in this league that realllllly suck.

We're not great, but we are not THAT bad.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That is where I have my doubts. I do believe that they will step forward. But as to how much? A bit of a question mark.

I think that it is even money that Kreider, Fast & Georgiev are moved.

Fair enough. I see it the other way.

If we are dealing all three of them, we best be getting at least one player in return who could still help us this year...no? I can't imagine Gorton is just going to acquire just more prospects. Let's just say a Kapanen comes back for example in a deal with Georgie, he plus more Chytil and Kakko ice time helps offset no more Kreider and Fast.

I dunno, I'm going to hope like the dickens the team still remains as competitive as it has been all season long and keep winning games we supposedly have no chance to win(ie...Boston, Tampa, Colorado...etc) and not start to lose as much as you think they will.

I really don't see the benefits of losing as draft position likely won't change all that much, as much as I see the benefits of winning would be as nothing like important games in March as I've said a few times, for the young pups to experience what they are like.

So in the meantime we got 13 games before the deadine....let's win 8-9 of them and I'm a happy camper.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
We won’t finish bottom 5 and we’ll be eliminated from possibly playoff contention with about 7 games left to play

The poll doesn’t really fit

would you rather get a top 10 pick or be competitive most of the year would be much more accurate

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We won’t finish bottom 5 and we’ll be eliminated from possibly playoff contention with about 7 games left to play

The poll doesn’t really fit

would you rather get a top 10 pick or be competitive most of the year would be much more accurate

Yes, that sounds more about where I’m at as I never thought playoffs was possible this year. I thought hanging around the playoff periphery was and it still can be where Rangers end up where they are competitive every single night with a chance to win for most of them.

Now winning those games the team is competitive in is a whole different animal.

But for me and apparently according to the poll results here on this thread, I’m very much in the minority, the importance of continuing to win games that maybe we aren’t supposed to win...the continuation of this attempt to possibly make it to the playoffs(which won’t happen) is MUCH more important for the development of these young kids we got than it would be too be so pathetically bad where we somehow ended up being one of the 5 worst teams in the sport.

You guys who espouse too this and want team too lose do realize that we’d likely need to go in the neighborhood of 10-24 to 13-21 in the final 34 games in order for team to finish close to bottom 5.

You guys are signing up for all that losing which would be pretty damn pathetic rest of the season and would be epically bad? Sorry man...no way am I going for that.

Besides this place being an insufferable forum of negativity, it woul totally offset all the positive and good that has occurred for the first 48 games of season.

So no thanks...please keep playing like we are...keep winning and we’ll let the draft work itself out in the summer.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
i dont know why we would need to be historically bad....we are two points ahead of the sharks and 7 points ahead of jersey, anaheim, and ottawa

im not saying we will drop beneath these guys but it isnt completely out of the question
run the numbers.

If everyone keeps the same point pace, we would have to play at a 53 point pace the rest of the way to be tied for 5th worst.

AKA ~.320 hockey

thats the 2013-2015 Sabres

they were historically bad

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we are dealing all three of them, we best be getting at least one player in return who could still help us this year...no? I can't imagine Gorton is just going to acquire just more prospects. Let's just say a Kapanen comes back for example in a deal with Georgie, he plus more Chytil and Kakko ice time helps offset no more Kreider and Fast.
I think that we can absolutley expect a player to come back. But I would expect it to be a younger player that is on the cusp of taking steps forward.
I dunno, I'm going to hope like the dickens the team still remains as competitive as it has been all season long and keep winning games we supposedly have no chance to win(ie...Boston, Tampa, Colorado...etc) and not start to lose as much as you think they will.
I think that we will all be rooting for them to win.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm pretty shocked the results are what they are. It always feels like the win-now crowd drowns out the longer term views.

I think there are certain subjects where the minority opinion has people who are very passionate about the issue.

Two recent examples are this poll, and the one gauging whether or not to trade Kreider.

In both cases, the results really weren't very close. But there are members on the dissenting side who are very vocal as to why they don't agree.

It's something that a lot of my clients often struggle with. First of all, they try to gauge whether disagreement with a decision is the prevailing thought or a small, vocal group - the vocal minority if you will.

After they try to gain a clear understanding of that, the internal debate becomes whether the attention raised by the opposition is something they should address, or whether they should stay the course.

The point being, I think we sometimes face similar situations on here. You could have 3 or 4 people who feel strongly about an issue, and that can make it seem like there is more of them.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If everyone keeps the same point pace, we would have to play at a 53 point pace the rest of the way to be tied for 5th worst.
That view is as a constant. Which will not happen for at least two reasons: 1) you need to take strength of schedule into account 2) you need to take what happens at TDL into account.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think there are certain subjects where the minority opinion has people who are very passionate about the issue.

Two recent examples are this poll, and the one gauging whether or not to trade Kreider.

In both cases, the results really weren't very close. But there are members on the dissenting side who are very vocal as to why they don't agree.

It's something that a lot of my clients often struggle with. First of all, they try to gauge whether disagreement with a decision is the prevailing thought or a small, vocal group - the vocal minority if you will.

After they try to gain a clear understanding of that, the internal debate becomes whether the attention raised by the opposition is something they should address, or whether they should stay the course.

The point being, I think we sometimes face similar situations on here. You could have 3 or 4 people who feel strongly about an issue, and that can make it seem like there is more of them.
Well, the other thing aside from this dynamic, were the choices presented. The ol' issue of how phrasing can impact a poll.

I mean, take me for example. I've been a pretty clear and consistent voice for rebuilding since I joined this site 15 years ago. But my approach has always been 1) remain focused on the long-term in any and all trades, while 2) always playing hard, and 3) never losing "on purpose." The advent of the lottery only strengthened my views on this strategy. (Though admittedly, over the last 2+ years watching the team steal unnecessary loser points in games in March and April has been caused me to give a rueful chuckle every now and again.)

But because of the choices provided, "finish bottom-5 " or "fight for the playoffs", I went with the latter option. Because I'm always going to want the team to do their damndest to fight to reach the playoffs.

I'm just not in favor of the GM making deals to get there – and indeed, am in favor of him making deals that, in the short term, may negatively impact the team's ability to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am under the impression that the players and coaching will always try to win each and every game.

Also under the impression that even with that they are still not likely a playoff team.

I also do not believe fan desire has any effect on either of those two things above.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As far as prospects and draft picks go, nothing is guaranteed. It's up to the Gods.

It’s one thing to approach things this way as a fan. It’s another thing entirely to approach things this way as a manager, and frankly, this board is largely an exercise in fantasy management. Can you imagine if Gorton came out and said hey, this isn’t on me, it’s up to the Gods?

It is not up to the Gods. The best players come from the top of the draft very reliably. Yes, luck dictates that the occasional bargain bin steal can be found or developed without a premium pick. It is folly to rely on that happening or to simply throw up your hands and hope that the “Gods” look favorably on you.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I'd rather this team compete for a playoff spot, so long as its the result of the young roster taking real steps in development.

Otherwise, give me the best chance at a high pick.

I'm not overly interested in Panarin and Zibanejad single highhandedly willing this team into a worse draft position

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It’s one thing to approach things this way as a fan. It’s another thing entirely to approach things this way as a manager, and frankly, this board is largely an exercise in fantasy management. Can you imagine if Gorton came out and said hey, this isn’t on me, it’s up to the Gods?

It is not up to the Gods. The best players come from the top of the draft very reliably. Yes, luck dictates that the occasional bargain bin steal can be found or developed without a premium pick. It is folly to rely on that happening or to simply throw up your hands and hope that the “Gods” look favorably on you.

I'm not saying management should approach it this way, stop with this nonsense, but the draft is at times a crap shoot. You could tank in a year where there isn't a franchise player. You could tank and end up drafting someone like Yakupov or Reinhart or Gudbranson. You could finish with a with a worse record than some team and end up with a worse pick, we saw this last year.

I don't believe in the notion of purposely being bad for draft picks and draft picks don't guarantee anything. Does they improve your odds, sure? But not guaranteed. So yeah, in a way lottery odds and picks is up to the Gods.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm not wading into this particular part of the discussion, but I would like to say that as a comms executive this would be perhaps the most horrifying and hilarious press conference in Rangers history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad