Would you rather finish bottom-5 this season or fight for the playoffs?

Top-5 pick or fight for a wild card spot?

• Total voters

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At this point Zary will do lol.

In fairness, the Rangers potential draft is all over the map right now.

The remaining schedule is going to be a test, and fairly difficult one at that. Depending on how things go, the Rangers' pick could be anywhere from 10th to 21st.

Re: Carolina and Toronto, who don't have quite as difficult of a schedule, they too could be passengers in the 10-21st boat.

Depending on how things go, and taking the lottery out of the equation, the Rangers could have the 20th and 21st picks, or they could be picking 10th and 11th.

So we could be talking about drafting Lundell and Sanderson, or something that isn't quite as exciting on draft day.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
15 of the Rangers remaining 19 games are against teams in either a virtual tie with them in the standings, or ahead of them.

If they get into the playoffs, they will have earned it.

If they miss the playoffs, they will likely have been knocked out by teams that had a reasonable chance to beat them.

The goal is for the kids to work hard, get a taste of what a race feels like, make progress, and then apply whatever lessons they learn next season.
100% accurate. At this point, things are what they are. Friggin' go for it. And they are.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You are not seeing Zary for 3-4 years.

I'd say maybe 2-3, but I get and agree with your point. I also think it higlights why it's important to understand the dividing line that exists as we approach this draft.

We can still find talent beyond the top 10 picks in this draft. Now, the odds of finding elite talent go down considerably, and it's exponentially more difficult to find players who will provide more immediate help, but there will be some intriguing options there.

A lot depends on where we pick. For example Lundell at 10 could be a player who steps in next season, or maybe 2021. He's also a guy who wouldn't necessarily be a poor choice to start in a middle or bottom six role. But he's not almost certainly not going to be there at 15 and beyond.

At 15 you start getting into the players who are a little further out, and have some combination of lower ceilings, or lower percentages of reaching those ceilings. But they aren't "bad" prospects by any stretch.

So at at 15 and beyond, you start talking about names like Holloway, Zary, Mysak, etc. etc. And each of them has certain pros and cons to their game.

But wherever our pick(s) fall, we're probably looking at a depth scenario, rather than focusing on a pure-skill, highlight reel producing machine. With multiple picks, we might even go for a balance of the two. But I'm not sure there is an immediate savior on the horizon. And frankly, I'm not sure the Rangers need there to be one.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We'll still be needing to infuse ELCs into the lineup in 3-4 years for cap management, even moreso than now, so that's fine.
That is fine, but that type of move is hardly one that solidifies a rebuild. That is a move that ensures that the infusion is there when needed. Something I completely agree with. But the hopes that this draft will yield an asset that will solidify is faulty. What will solidify the rebuild is the kids continuing to take steps forward and what assets are used to shore up what weaknesses (like the defense).

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Not sure it is an either/or choice. If this team, as constructed, fights it’s way into the playoffs, so be it. But I don’t want them to go out of their way to squeeze in. That means being a buyer at the deadline or holding on to assets in order to make it (not dealing Kreider, AG, etc)

My feelings haven't changed. Leading up to the deadline, I went back and forth on whether they should deal Kreider. But I'm happy with the choice once it was made. And they couldn't trade AG.

Loving how this team has come together and the chemistry seems to be off the charts.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What will solidify the rebuild is Chytil, Kakko and Kravtsov reaching their potential and some of that D showing up and being NHL level talent.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They don't. Their saviors are already here. The only question that remains is what part from the non-savior crowd are moved to bring in other non-saviors who will support the saviors better.

I've been a big proponent of ammo.

But I think it's worth pointing out, that I view a good chunk of that ammo we need to be of the "support" variety. With the possible exception of a LD that our young players fall in line behind, I'm thinking a third line LW, maybe a third line center is Chytil moves up and Strome moves on. Things of that nature.

I'm not really looking at a second line center like some, and I don't think we're hurting for offensive skill on the wings --- either with established vets, or promising young players.

I also think we have a number of under the radar prospects who could step in sooner than we think and help ---- Robertson and Barron being the two prime candidates. So some of what I'm looking for is a way to bridge the gaps a little bit.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
My opinion is let the chips fall where they may. No team should ever officially tank. What franchise has ever benefited from that? Even the 76ers who were unofficially officially taking haven't recovered from the experience even though they acquired what looks like the right talent on paper. I'd rather be drafting high and adding talent because it would increase the odds of future playoff success, but if this group can run the table and make the playoffs, more power to them. If they make it, they should go on a run and not give a damn. The experience would be priceless to Chytil, Fox, Kappo - even the young veterans. Also, imagine Hank getting a Cup without playing a single playoff game?

Reactions: Captain Lindy

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
We have the youngest team in the NHL, one of the best farm systems, and two 1st round picks coming up in a deep draft. I think we're good as far as picks go - it's time for us to win games and get this young team experience in pressure situations. Making the playoffs would be a great sign that this won't be a rebuild doomed to the results Buffalo, Edmonton, and other teams have experience - stockpiling talent, but perpetually bad. The team is building a winning culture now, and we have no shortage of picks and prospects that will be added to the team over the next several years.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
My opinion is let the chips fall where they may. No team should ever officially tank. What franchise has ever benefited from that? Even the 76ers who were unofficially officially taking haven't recovered from the experience even though they acquired what looks like the right talent on paper. I'd rather be drafting high and adding talent because it would increase the odds of future playoff success, but if this group can run the table and make the playoffs, more power to them. If they make it, they should go on a run and not give a damn. The experience would be priceless to Chytil, Fox, Kappo - even the young veterans. Also, imagine Hank getting a Cup without playing a single playoff game?

Agreed. At some point, you need to install a culture of winning and develop the players you actually have rather than hoping the next crop of players will put you over the top. Very glad the Rangers have been fortunate to go on this run lately.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still prefer the top draft pick but that isnt going to happen.

We will likely end up in 9th or 10th which was worst case scenerio.

Next year is when the fun starts and we make noise.

Reactions: mschmidt64

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I'd say maybe 2-3, but I get and agree with your point. I also think it higlights why it's important to understand the dividing line that exists as we approach this draft.

We can still find talent beyond the top 10 picks in this draft. Now, the odds of finding elite talent go down considerably, and it's exponentially more difficult to find players who will provide more immediate help, but there will be some intriguing options there.

A lot depends on where we pick. For example Lundell at 10 could be a player who steps in next season, or maybe 2021. He's also a guy who wouldn't necessarily be a poor choice to start in a middle or bottom six role. But he's not almost certainly not going to be there at 15 and beyond.

At 15 you start getting into the players who are a little further out, and have some combination of lower ceilings, or lower percentages of reaching those ceilings. But they aren't "bad" prospects by any stretch.

So at at 15 and beyond, you start talking about names like Holloway, Zary, Mysak, etc. etc. And each of them has certain pros and cons to their game.

But wherever our pick(s) fall, we're probably looking at a depth scenario, rather than focusing on a pure-skill, highlight reel producing machine. With multiple picks, we might even go for a balance of the two. But I'm not sure there is an immediate savior on the horizon. And frankly, I'm not sure the Rangers need there to be one.

What are the chances the rangers could package their first round picks to move up in the draft? Do you think there will be a market for that?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What are the chances the rangers could package their first round picks to move up in the draft? Do you think there will be a market for that?

Depends on where the picks are and who is on the board.

If they're sitting 12th and 24th, and they want to grab a guy they like at 9 or 10, it's possible.

I don't think it's as likely if they're sitting 15th and 20th and want to get to 12 or 13.

But there's too many variables at stake right now to say for certain.

I think all things considered, if the Rangers keep both picks, and the picks stay where they currently are, I think they probably stay put based on the cost of moving up.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Depends on where the picks are and who is on the board.

If they're sitting 12th and 24th, and they want to grab a guy they like at 9 or 10, it's possible.

I don't think it's as likely if they're sitting 15th and 20th and want to get to 12 or 13.

But there's too many variables at stake right now to say for certain.

I think all things considered, if the Rangers keep both picks, and the picks stay where they currently are, I think they probably stay put based on the cost of moving up.

Gotcha. The rangers have so many depth assets, I find it hard to believe that that they don't look to package picks and assets to get an impact player even if they are in the 15-20 range with the picks.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Yeah..at this point I hope they miss the playoffs by 1 point... Toronto and Carolina miss the playoffs

Then the leafs win 3oa, and the rangers and canes win 1 and 2...

So.we end up with lafreniere and byfield ona. Team that was just about a playoff team.

Hey...a man can hope can't he?

You're more likely to be hit by lightning while being bit by a shark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inferno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad