Speculation: Would you rather acquire top 4 dman or top 6 forward?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Yes, it's only been one game; however with the cap space we currently have on our team do you think we need a top 6 forward (sniper) or a top 4 dman more?

I think majority would agree that our forward depth is >>>>> then our defensive group; however I still think we'd struggle to score goals. If could acquire another proven winger to play with either DK or PB it would take off more pressure for our defense to play a perfect game.

With a healthy Chara and the potential of Morrow, I think I'm okay with our group as long as Tuukka doesn't struggle.

Thoughts?

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
D has to be the option here. Now is it a 20 something year old 2 way stud? Or a mid 30's guy hanging on to the back 9 of his career? Management needs to be picky and I believe they will be.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Neither, this is a rebuilding year, we shouldn't be acquiring anything. Adding 1 top 4 D potentially still leaves us 2 top 4 D short if Chara is going to encounter health issues all year.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Top 4 dman... Not even close.

63-37-21-46-88-39/14/11 is not a bad top-6. Two of the better centers in the league, 4/6 of those players are basically a guaranteed 20-25+ goals. We only have two top-4 defensemen. Krug you could argue I guess but he hasn't proven it. We DESPERATELY need one.

Would not give up assets to get an older one for this year, though. If we're going to trade for a D make it one that will become a part of our future.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
While I agree we need another top 4 dman.....it would make things that much easier.

However, I just think we could still be pretty successful if we have 6 smart dmen.

Guys like K.Miller, Irwin and to some extent Trotman (although I was actually surprised with how bad his defensive coverage was last night) panic when they have the puck on there stick. It's like they are playing with a hand grenade.

Chara
Seidenberg
Morrow
Krug
McQuaid

I'm good with those 5 when healthy. It's finding out who that last player showed be or if we should acquire a more seasoned vet that can skate.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
While I agree we need another top 4 dman.....it would make things that much easier.

However, I just think we could still be pretty successful if we have 6 smart dmen.

Guys like K.Miller, Irwin and to some extent Trotman (although I was actually surprised with how bad his defensive coverage was last night) panic when they have the puck on there stick. It's like they are playing with a hand grenade.

Chara
Seidenberg
Morrow
Krug
McQuaid

I'm good with those 5 when healthy. It's finding out who that last player showed be or if we should acquire a more seasoned vet that can skate.

That's the catch. Seidenberg was mediocre and not healthy. Chara is in his late 30's. Assuming health out of those two is risky at best.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Neither - we have to sell off veterans and rack up picks and prospects.

Agreed, the minute they traded Hamilton and Lucic for futures they should've had a full and proper rebuild. Instead I fear this team will be in the 6-12 position of the draft. I want to give it a few more games, but it might be time for a real rebuild. That's a damn shame because this team should've been a contender for 10 years after the cup (Rask, Seguin, Hamilton,) not to mention guys other guys who are young and came in.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Top 4 D, not even close. The forward group is fine IMO. The D-group is a tire fire.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
Sweeney has to find a way to turn 2 nickles into a dime. The B's have too many bottom pairing defensemen. I'd keep Chara, Krug, Morrow, and C. Miller, and then try to trade 2 (or 3) of the remaining blue liners for a top 4 RH defenseman.

Find a way to trade of Seid, McQuaid, K. Miller, Irwin, Trotman. for someone to log 23 minutes opposite Krug.

Z - C. Miller
Krug - new guy
Morrow - whoever wasn't traded to bring in the new guy, McQuaid, K. Miller, Trotman, Seidenberg

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Our offensive lineup is at least average, if not a bit above average. Not sure how anyone could be desperate to change that in comparison to the defense.

I definitely want to mess around a bit more moving different players in and switching up the combo's before making any sort of move. This is CJ's first test; showing a willingness to recognize the downfalls in a vet (Irwin) and put some trust in a younger player, one game into the season. If Sweeney really got through to him, I'd think he will be doing that.

Won't be surprised if not, however.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
IF a deal has to be made I want it for a top 4 defenseman.

Championship teams are built on goaltending & defense- we've got Tuukka but the blue line is very thin & will be even when Chara returns to the line up.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no real need for a top 6 winger.

They need a lot of help on top 4 defense.

That said, unless you are able to get a long term top 2 type of guy, I mean someone in their early to mid 20s who is either signed longterm, or at least under the Bruins control longterm.

Basically they need a Seth Jones, but I don't see them getting that player, and not without a massive mortgaging of the future. So I stand pat

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Without Chara this is the worst D core I've ever seen in Boston. With Chara it is still absolutely abysmal. Top 4 easily.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
You won't get an established top 4 D...but I would mine the field in pro scouting and hope you hit and get lucky like they did with Boychuk in 2008 or Seidenberg when he was on the lower end of value in 2010. That's probably the best hope for something, anything to add to this putrid D lineup.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Obviously I'd take a top 4 dman if he's young, but I don't see a good option out there, so I voted neither. Would still rather see us trade Eriksson and maybe Krejci and/or Marchand unless this group shows they actually are close to competing.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Yes, it's only been one game; however with the cap space we currently have on our team do you think we need a top 6 forward (sniper) or a top 4 dman more?

I think majority would agree that our forward depth is >>>>> then our defensive group; however I still think we'd struggle to score goals. If could acquire another proven winger to play with either DK or PB it would take off more pressure for our defense to play a perfect game.

With a healthy Chara and the potential of Morrow, I think I'm okay with our group as long as Tuukka doesn't struggle.

Thoughts?

i prefer this poll be posted November 9 2015. We stay within for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad