Would you pull A Sean Avery?

mayoradamwest*

I am sure everyone by now has seen/heard Sean Averys antics tonight. Question is, would you do the same thing if it helped your team win? I am just wondering what fellow people who play the game say.

Here is the video of the play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4WaZMVtyE

have already done.... repeatedly.:D though it's more effective when the shot is coming and you're standing on top of the goalie.

edit; i never turned my back on the play to do it, stupid thing to do. and yes, blockers to the back of the head to result, but hey... so do powerplays.

almost as much fun as slashing the handle of the goalies stick at the very top.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Maybe, in a dire case. Avery is a little crazier than me, and cares a lot less what people think about him than anyone in the world. But if I was playing for a new contract, hell yeah.

In USA Hockey beer league etc...under rare circumstances. Like if the I hated the goalie (which he obviously does :P), it could mean the difference in the game (close game it was!), and nobody at our point has head hunting 90 mph slapshots, sure.

You get hit from behind with the puck anywhere and it's going to hurt. All you can do is hear the shot (if it's a slapshot) and jump really really really high, hoping the d man kept it low.

I've probably done more dangerous things in a close game, and that's all I would be worried about. The danger of it, not what anyone thinks.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
It would be harder to do it now, at least in the NY/NJ area where everyone would know where you got the idea, and collectively kick your ass.

Kanadian

Oct 18, 2006
Rule 75.3 Subsection 3

A misconduct penalty shall be assessed to; ''Any player or goaltender who, after warning by the referee, persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusie language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.''

I don't condone it but he was trying to screen him, not to incite him into takeing a penalty.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Seeing how this is the RINK board...and 50% of us do play by USA Hockey rules and not the NHL rulebook...I do see the relevance.

I guess you didn't bother to read the post though?

Do most of us fellow people play in the NHL? No, I didnt think so.

Why would so many Canadians and Europeans play by USA Hockey rules?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I don't have a issue with him doing it. I personally wouldn't do it because I think I would have a better chance of affecting the play by facing the shot and redirecting it.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
too late.
i have. and i will again.
i even did push ups after i scored a goal and blew a kiss to a guys gf on the other team.. im really well liked around my league.

How do these actions make the parents of the other players feel? :D

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
In USA Hockey rules it is 100% illegal to wave your gloves/stick in front of a goalies face in an attempt to screen him. So no. It even says that word for word (well something similar to that), so im not talking the extremely broad definition in the NHL rulebook.

Funny, I play in a league using USA hockey rules and I was called for just putting the shaft of my stick in front of the goalie and impairing his vision. I was even facing the shot - not the goalie but the ref called me for interference saying I cannot impair the goalies sight with my stick on purpose.

If you want to screen the goalie, use your body like everyone else.

Bettman and Campbell have already addressed the issue - look for a mandate from the league today with clarification of the new Anti-Avery-Act.

Reverend_Hellh0und

Apr 20, 2006
Funny, I play in a league using USA hockey rules and I was called for just putting the shaft of my stick in front of the goalie and impairing his vision. I was even facing the shot - not the goalie but the ref called me for interference saying I cannot impair the goalies sight with my stick on purpose.

What did he call? your back was to the goalie and you made no contact? .[/QUOTE]

Koivu84*

No but I can gurantee there's going to be a lot of kids trying it and hopefully the goalie smacks them in the head.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Not in a million years. I wouldn't wanted to be the guy referred to as that tool who pulled an Avery.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Absolutely. Strangely enough, just a month ago I began to wonder why no one has tried it before, and yesterday, before I knew Avery had done it, I was doing it in a scrimage, and my goalie didn't like it.

Reckless Abandon*

I usually just start break dancing in front of the goal... occasionally I'll toss in the worm or do a cartwheel to further distract him.

Reckless Abandon*

Personally, you pull that in a rec league you're most likely going to get the **** kicked out of you by the goalie.

How? As long as you keep your full-cage helmet on their is nothing to be afraid of.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
For some reason, amateur hockey players love to pretend that their game is important.

everyone wants to win man....from amateurs to pros.

Rec league players just wont pull **** that clearly puts them in a dangerous position, and that's because you're not getting paid.

Anything reckless I've done in a game has been something I didn't think through. This move was planned out, and rather hilarious. But anyone who plans out something on this scale in a rec league game is a total d-bag.

But consider how much Avery and Brodeur hate each other.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
No. It's a bush league move.
I would find it pathetically embarrassing to see someone in a rec league pulling this *****. Definitely worthy of a crosscheck across the back.
A crosscheck across the back might knock the jackass into your goalie. A crosscheck to his exposed ribs would be much more suitable.

rmnyi

Jul 18, 2006
How is that illegal? No goalie interference. Your trying to get the goalies eyes off the puck, so your screening the goalie with your stick. Whats wrong with that?

Looks like Colin Campbell disagrees with you...

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued a statement Monday to make the league's position clear going forward. The statement said:

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234281&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad