Would you pull A Sean Avery?

OilerNut*

For me? Hell yes. Nothing wrong with the play. He didn't touch Brodeur. Nothing wrong with trying to get a goalie off his game cleanly. As an ex goalie, I would hate it if it happened to me.

All I know is if I pulled that stuff I would get a punch to the head and would be afraid to turn my back on any of the players on the opposing team.

cbanker8

It might not be illegal, but it's unsportsmanlike, IMHO.

Face the play, and put your body between the goaltender and the puck to take his vision away.

It's dangerous for the player who has his back turned to the puck, as well. I was always taught to face the play.

Nosebleed Section

Nov 1, 2006
If I was sure I could hold my own against any other player on the team then yes I would. If someone on the other team did this to my goalie I would pound him. This is why we dont need the instigating penalty.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Do it in road hockey all the time. A lot of slashes become directed my way, but you gotta pay the price to get the job done.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Screw that. Two reasons why I wouldn't do it.

1. The other team will probably jump me for being an ass hole
2. If a defenseman takes a slapshot and it hits me in the back, that's gonna hurt like hell.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It would have been totally awesome if he got pelted in the back with a cannon from the point.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
How is that illegal? No goalie interference. Your trying to get the goalies eyes off the puck, so your screening the goalie with your stick. Whats wrong with that?

Rule 75.3 Subsection 3

A misconduct penalty shall be assessed to; ''Any player or goaltender who, after warning by the referee, persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusie language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.''

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
In USA Hockey rules it is 100% illegal to wave your gloves/stick in front of a goalies face in an attempt to screen him. So no. It even says that word for word (well something similar to that), so im not talking the extremely broad definition in the NHL rulebook.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
In USA Hockey rules it is 100% illegal to wave your gloves/stick in front of a goalies face in an attempt to screen him. So no. It even says that word for word (well something similar to that), so im not talking the extremely broad definition in the NHL rulebook.

The NHL doesn't play by the USA Hockey rulebook, so I'm not seeing the relevance.

OilerNut*

I meant pulling stuff like this in the leagues we play in, not the NHL.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
too late.
i have. and i will again.
i even did push ups after i scored a goal and blew a kiss to a guys gf on the other team.. im really well liked around my league.

xpat1313x

Jan 7, 2004
Middleboro, Ma
Visit site
i'll do pretty much anything that'll get the opposing goalie off his game, sticks in his face, gloves you name it. However I wouldn't turn my back to the play like that cause that's just asking to get drilled with a shot.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
With the instigator rule in place, why not?

Worst-case scenario: you block the goalie and get in his head.

Best-case scenario: you draw one of NJ's three players to you to either do something stupid or leave another guy open.

It's legal, but NJ should have done something to stop him.

K-PAX*

Why are so many of you being babies about this? I'd do it just because it looked like so much fun.

WatchaMaCarcass

Feb 27, 2008
Lurking
Doesn't Avery get payed to do this kind of thing? If he got Broduer off his game by doing it, then why not? he's doing his job, and it may incur the wrath of some Devils, but again, thats his job.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The NHL doesn't play by the USA Hockey rulebook, so I'm not seeing the relevance.

Seeing how this is the RINK board...and 50% of us do play by USA Hockey rules and not the NHL rulebook...I do see the relevance.

I guess you didn't bother to read the post though?

I am sure everyone by now has seen/heard Sean Averys antics tonight. Question is, would you do the same thing if it helped your team win? I am just wondering what fellow people who play the game say.

Here is the video of the play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4WaZMVtyE

Do most of us fellow people play in the NHL? No, I didnt think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad