Would you pull A Sean Avery?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
When I played goal, morons used to try stuff like the Avery crap all the time. But there was an understanding between the referees in my league and the goaltenders that the second a skater stepped into the blue ice, the goaltender was well within his rights to put said skater on his butt. So, when guys used to try and irritate me, I used to say stuff to goad them, and I mean some really vulgar stuff. They'd walk into the crease, I'd chop their legs out from under them and they wouldn't do it again.

Avery4Byng*

I will be doing this at our next game (on the PP of course).

If Dan Girardi or Nigel Dawes or any other Ranger did it, would it really be that big of a deal?

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
If I am pulling this crap in my league, I deserved to get gang jumped by the other team. Unsportsmenlike conduct.

People have no respect for others nowadays.

Avery4Byng*

If I am pulling this crap in my league, I deserved to get gang jumped by the other team. Unsportsmenlike conduct.

People have no respect for others nowadays.

edit - I just saw Chicken**** Campbell's little ***** statement.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
How do these actions make the parents of the other players feel? :D

actually the parents on my team love it, hometown crowd love it haha
away games is more fun thats when you get the other teams home fans all riled up then when you score it goes all silent.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I would and it'd be completely legal. It's not an official USA Hockey rule and if I were called I'd argue it. And as a ref I know I'd be able to prove in the rule book that there is no such rule. Not everyone has to be a flashy star to do important stuff.

Moose24x

Jan 2, 2008
Boston
Rule 75.3 Subsection 3

A misconduct penalty shall be assessed to; ''Any player or goaltender who, after warning by the referee, persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusie language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty.''

So, I guess, this proves that since Avery wasn't warned about it before doing it, or while doing it, that it WAS legal. :handclap:

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Avery would **** a d**k for a goal. I guess having him on your team wouldn't be bad. Not sure I would have a beer with him afterwards though

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I would and it'd be completely legal. It's not an official USA Hockey rule and if I were called I'd argue it. And as a ref I know I'd be able to prove in the rule book that there is no such rule. Not everyone has to be a flashy star to do important stuff.

According to one of your fellow Ranger fans on the 1st page, it is illegal.

Considering some of the idiocy I've seen on these boards, it doesn't surprise me that 40+% of the people voting here would pull an Avery.

Diskothek

Aug 15, 2007
No way would I do that, especially in my league. Some of our goalies have short and hot tempers. I'm sure I'd get a stick in the crotch in no time pulling a stunt like that.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I've seen it happen a few times in games. Twice it has resulted in a broken leg...the first time it happened because the player took a one-timer from the slot off his leg and the second time it was a different player that took a goalie's stick across his leg and you saw his whole leg buckle.

Sorry, no I would never do it and as a coach would never instruct my players to ever do it. Furthermore, I have a thing about respecting your opponent...I really think a player that did that on my team would be benched for a while for making a total mockery of himself, the team, and more importantly...the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad