Would YOU move Landeskog for Carlo?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Landy is established, recognized as an all-star, played for his country and had a fantastic junior career resulting in being drafted 2nd overall. Carlo is playing well, but has less of a pedigree and rookie NHL history to base a decision. Bruins need to add, maybe MacAvoy or find different trading partners.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Landy is established, recognized as an all-star, played for his country and had a fantastic junior career resulting in being drafted 2nd overall. Carlo is playing well, but has less of a pedigree and rookie NHL history to base a decision. Bruins need to add, maybe MacAvoy or find different trading partners.

Landeskog has never been an all-star

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm very, VERY reluctant to have the Avs move yet another established and effective two-way player. Even though the return in this scenario is a very promising young defender, it still makes a gaping hole in the lineup even bigger, and no practical way to fill it.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I voted no thinking it meant as a one-for-one. Carlo as a big piece of a BIG package for Landy (and maybe a SMALL piece) headed east, I might think about it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm very, VERY reluctant to have the Avs move yet another established and effective two-way player. Even though the return in this scenario is a very promising young defender, it still makes a gaping hole in the lineup even bigger, and no practical way to fill it.

As an outsider I don't think the Avs should make any big moves (moves like Iggy/Beauch excluded) until they see the final season rankings and draft lottery winner. Chances are you have a chance at Patrick or the Swedish RHD.

Patrick would be a great addition, a RHC which would allow you to move MacKinnon to his wing, which I think he makes a better winger.

That leaves Duchene and Landy to round out the top 6. Very impressive.
If the Avs need help on D, with expansion coming deals might be cheaper. Also UFA choices like Alzner/Kulikov/Stone would allow you to keep the above players.

That's just my opinion. This season offers no rush or foolish moves.

TwoNiner

We dem boys
Sep 23, 2015
Colorado
As an outsider I don't think the Avs should make any big moves (moves like Iggy/Beauch excluded) until they see the final season rankings and draft lottery winner. Chances are you have a chance at Patrick or the Swedish RHD.

Patrick would be a great addition, a RHC which would allow you to move MacKinnon to his wing, which I think he makes a better winger.

If the Avs need help on D, with expansion coming deals might be cheaper. Also UFA choices like Alzner/Kulikov/Stone would allow you to keep the above players.

^ This :handclap:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

Well said. Although I don't think that guys like alzner will want to come to the Avs. Maybe stone will be willing.

The other thing is that the Avs can't move landeskog for a defenseman, because if they don't get Patrick or Hirschier, but get the Swedish defenseman. They would be scrambling looking for offense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We know how Landeskog, Duchene, MacKinnon looks when playing for a team with decent depth (2013-14). Even Barrie would probably look more well rounded. So predicting they would look better on a good team isn't blind optimism. It's fairly obvious.

Now it's free fall and everyone is scrambling. Even the good ones look bad and I think it would be easy to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Make the moves that would make sense if Avs were on pace for 95 points. That's the only way to approach it.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
So as a group, we've evidently overwhelmingly nixed this idea. Not sure I can remember the last time we've all so universally agreed on a topic. :laugh:

Is everyone against Carlo as a player? Or is the return simply not enough?

In other words, if it was Landeskog for Carlo +, what's the + that would make it acceptable?
I'm not as against it as everybody else. I think Carlo can be a top three defensive defenseman, and considering his age, the fact that he can play top four minutes today, and the fact that he has several more years until UFA I could see the value in the move. I think that the Avs could and probably should get more, but I wouldn't be too outraged if it happened.

FWIW this does seem like a rumor that's a little "too" convenient, kind of like how every other player in the league is rumored to the Leafs for a "hometown discount".

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So as a group, we've evidently overwhelmingly nixed this idea. Not sure I can remember the last time we've all so universally agreed on a topic. :laugh:

Is everyone against Carlo as a player? Or is the return simply not enough?

In other words, if it was Landeskog for Carlo +, what's the + that would make it acceptable?

This is where the divide happens I think.

Some dont see him as a good enough D/D prospect to be the main piece in a return for Landy, others do but the +'s have to be pretty significant as well because he's not the ideal piece.

Personally, I'm in the 2nd group. If the +'s were good enough I'd be ok with getting Carlo in the deal as I do like his game and actually think he's playing like a Top 4D already and I dont think his game has to develop much further to become Top pairing material.

But it would take at least Two substantial +'s for me to do the deal. Something like BOS 1st + Zboril at least, with a guy like Debrusk added as well, or something along those lines.

I'd much rather get McAvoy as the centerpiece back in a trade but I cant see Boston moving him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Make the moves that would make sense if Avs were on pace for 95 points. That's the only way to approach it.

Yeesh, I sure hope not. I wouldn't find a repeat of last year's trade deadline very appetizing. And they did that while on a pace for 87 points.

I wholly agree that they shouldn't move Landeskog or Duchene unless they get a fantastic package back. Because there's simply no rush whatsoever. If they really do want to rid themselves of Landeskog, but a great deal isn't there right now, do it around draft time. Personally, I think that's when they should do any core player trade.

But dump the 4 UFA vets in the next 6 weeks.

In the end, I think they'll really regret trading Landeskog. It's almost like this organization can't stand players who play well in their own end of the ice.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yeesh, I sure hope not. I wouldn't find a repeat of last year's trade deadline very appetizing. And they did that while on a pace for 87 points.

I wholly agree that they shouldn't move Landeskog or Duchene unless they get a fantastic package back. Because there's simply no rush whatsoever. If they really do want to rid themselves of Landeskog, but a great deal isn't there right now, do it around draft time. Personally, I think that's when they should do any core player trade.

But dump the 4 UFA vets in the next 6 weeks.

In the end, I think they'll really regret trading Landeskog. It's almost like this organization can't stand players who play well in their own end of the ice.

I said moves that make sense. Rentals when you are on pace for 86 points make zero sense.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Yes, really. This shouldn't be news, either.

There's a pretty good chance Brandon Carlo never develops into a #1 defensemen.

There is a chance Nikita Zadorov does.

Is he going to reach his ceiling? That's a different conversation. But that's why the term "upside" is used. Zadorov's upside > Carlo's upside, and it really shouldn't be debated by anyone.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I feel like a genuine "Really??" is a common response when it comes to our players. We're so unknown lol
The change of perception of both ROR and zadorov immediately following the trade pretty much proved our players will never get their due credit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad