Proposal: Would you have traded Alex Formenton for a late 1st round pick at the past deadline?

Which asset would you rather have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am very curious about this

Alex Formenton is 22 y/o, he has played 77 games with 18 goals and 31 points in 15:26 TOI/GP and nearly 2 mins of PK per game. League leading 5 goals short-handed, none of his points came on the PP and he doesn't get a lot of PP

There's a stretch earlier this season where he was quite productive when used as a top-6 forward

We all know he is one of the fastest skaters in the league, with that McDavid-esque elusive speed. He is already quite responsible defensively, has some sandpaper and is a major threat on the PK.

So the question is : would you have traded Alex Formenton for a late 1st round pick at the past deadline? Like from Florida/Colorado/Tampa Bay let's say

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
It appears I forgot how to embed a gif.
Why would you want to trade Formenton at all? A late first does nothing for us but kick the can further down the road.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I am very curious about this

Alex Formenton is 22 y/o, he has played 77 games with 18 goals and 31 points in 15:26 TOI/GP and nearly 2 mins of PK per game. League leading 5 goals short-handed, none of his points came on the PP and he doesn't get a lot of PP

There's a stretch earlier this season where he was quite productive when used as a top-6 forward

We all know he is one of the fastest skaters in the league, with that McDavid-esque elusive speed. He is already quite responsible defensively, has some sandpaper and is a major threat on the PK.

So the question is : would you have traded Alex Formenton for a late 1st round pick at the past deadline? Like from Florida/Colorado/Tampa Bay let's say
Not a chance. A top 10 I would give serious thought to, but a late 1st is not good value for this player. He's going to be a 20 goal scoring, excellent PKing pest for the next 10 years.

He's a borderline core piece, IMO.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Not to take away from this poll, although it is looking like a land slide, I am curious as to what Formenton's next contract is going to look like. While Josh Norris is now the focus in terms of upcoming RFA's; I think that his deal will be something very much in range with Tkachuk's deal; long term; around $7 to $8m per year. Formenton on the other hand could go a number of ways. I would think that he would be looking for something long term but I get the feeling that it will be more of a 3 or 4 year deal at around $4 to $5.5m per year. Thoughts?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Not to take away from this poll, although it is looking like a land slide, I am curious as to what Formenton's next contract is going to look like. While Josh Norris is now the focus in terms of upcoming RFA's; I think that his deal will be something very much in range with Tkachuk's deal; long term; around $7 to $8m per year. Formenton on the other hand could go a number of ways. I would think that he would be looking for something long term but I get the feeling that it will be more of a 3 or 4 year deal at around $4 to $5.5m per year. Thoughts?

$5.5 M is too much, IMO. I'd give him a 4 year $18M deal or a 6 year $24M deal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think that would be absolutely stupid. The odds of getting a legit NHL player with that pick is like what, 30-40%?
The odds of getting an NHL player who almost got 20 goals in his first full season and brings other elements to his game like speed and grit and plays the pk and pp2? Like 2-4%?

So no way in hell would I have made that trade. I would legit need a top 10 pick for me to do it. (I realize his value would probably be closer to 15OA pick but why make a trade just to make a trade)

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
There is no need to trade Formenton. We need depth and speed

Formenton does need to assert himself a bit more 5 on 5

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Why? We have a top 10 pick this season.

It's not like a have a cap crunch
It's not like we need to get rid of this player
It's no like this makes sense

It's time to add not subtract and this arguably the fastest player in the league.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
People on this board are starting to have an unhealthy obsession with accumulating picks, as of late

We need young guys who are ready to contribute in the NHL. Not 2-3 year projects

Reactions: Psycroptic86

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People on this board are starting to have an unhealthy obsession with accumulating picks, as of late

We need young guys who are ready to contribute in the NHL. Not 2-3 year projects

Well, seeing as the poll results are 39 to 0 in this particular case, you're preaching to the choir.

What people are you referring to?

Even if he never plays in the top six again, he's still an extremely valuable member of the team.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I cast a vote just to see what the results of the poll was. 100% said they'd keep Formenton.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
its nice when we all agree. HF Sens just needed to prove we all love 4men10 to achieve peace on these boards.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Only way I'd trade Formenton would be for a massive long term upgrade on the top 6, and only when/if Greig is ready to own a spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton has the potential to be like Krieder, I bet if his draft was redone he would be a 1st rd pick & maybe top 15 IMO. Formenton all day long.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think that, on average, that late pick won't turn out to be as promising as Formenton. So it's a bad trade on the surface. The counter argument, I guess is that trading Alex frees up a bit of cash that could be repurposed somewhere else.

So the trade is really:

We give: Alex + whatever we do with his cash
We get: A Pick

There are some scenarios where I would consider it, namely if there just isn't the money to sign him so we're choosing between keeping Alex or keeping a guy like Zub. I'll stretch that a bit farther and say maybe the forward budget planning by the team tells them we can't sign Forms and also pay Stu, Sandy, Zub, Norris, Pinto and Greig.

And maybe Dorion adds all that up and adds up what Norris, Zub and Stu have already proven they're worth, and after all the math is done it's clear that signing Formenton is going to squeeze out dollars that will make paying one or more of Sandy, Pinto or Greig impossible.

So looking ahead they know we're going to lose one or more players either now or later, and they decide that Forms is the odd guy out. So he pulls the trigger on a deal now to free the cash he needs in 2024. That's probably what some of the thinking on the Paul deal looked like.

It's still a bad trade though, and one that we'd likely lose.

But under those circumstances I could see how a trade like this happens. Namely, the team is projecting out a few years and realizing it's almost certain that they're going to be totally f***ed on the internal budget.

So a deal happens that makes absolutely no sense to outside observers who don't see the internal budget pressures.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for participating! This is what I thought would happen although I was not sure it would be a flawless 100%

On another forum, in trade proposal, I said that Formenton was worth a 1st round pick and this is what I got :

« Thats not how it works lol, if you think Formenton is worth a 1st than 70% of the league is worth a 1st round pick. Same with JBD, he's a 1st round pick who's shown nothing in 4 years, teams would rather just use their 1st round pick and draft someone. Same with Greig, no team would trade a top 15 pick over just using the pick and drafting someone. Sot its basically 4 2nds, a low 1st and a top 10 pick for Debrincat, Ottawa is stupid to pass on a 40g guy like Debrincat for that. »

God I love to be « loled » at

He’s basically saying that Greig, Formenton, JBD are worth a low 1st and two 2nds

Not even sure people would trade Greig for that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad