Speculation: Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
no because this team sucks because they lack PMD's, so adding a 2nd 10M player for long term is not what I would want to see. f***ing rebuild, get rid of f*** nuts Molson, get rid of I'm looking over my options before I re-sign as GM, and bring in someone that has an actual plan on how to develop skilled prospects. Trade Price at some point (going to have to eat some cap imo) as this is the last big money year for Price (13M) and he's already been paid 11M of it, If you trade him in July, he'll be owed 23.5M over 4 years so just under 6M per year in terms of actual money. Granted he would need to come back and play well, and we may have to eat 3M or so off his cap hit.

Granted Eichel Suzuki Dvorak Evans/Poehling would be a really solid core of centers but with a terrible blueline and a unknown Price, I wouldn't have done it.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
No, we ain't 'there', acquiring Eichel sure would make our center line a top-10 in the league (I mean, Eichel-Suzuki-Dvorak, damn...), but we have so many flaws that adding Eichel wouldn't put us over the top in any ways.

Vegas are 'there', it was logical for them.

Reactions: montreal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Loser thinking. It's like saying that you know you will lose the trade so you prefer to lose it to a team you play less often.
Maybe... but the reality is billionaire owners care more about optics, than winning vs losing - will they look bad if Eichel plays them often and excels

Kim Pegula (owners wife & President of Sabres even said a couple of weeks back they wanted Eichel out of the Conf), reiterating the tweet posted earlier of what her hubby said last summer

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
no because this team sucks because they lack PMD's, so adding a 2nd 10M player for long term is not what I would want to see. f***ing rebuild, get rid of f*** nuts Molson, get rid of I'm looking over my options before I re-sign as GM, and bring in someone that has an actual plan on how to develop skilled prospects. Trade Price at some point (going to have to eat some cap imo) as this is the last big money year for Price (13M) and he's already been paid 11M of it, If you trade him in July, he'll be owed 23.5M over 4 years so just under 6M per year in terms of actual money. Granted he would need to come back and play well, and we may have to eat 3M or so off his cap hit.

Granted Eichel Suzuki Dvorak Evans/Poehling would be a really solid core of centers but with a terrible blueline and a unknown Price, I wouldn't have done it.

This is the long version of my answer on the first page.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Poehling (or even Caufield or Ghule), Anderson and a top-10 protected first?

Yes, that would've been a deal to make... though doubt Buffalo would have considered taking anything short of a signficantly larger offer to trade Eichel in the division... and i don't think i'd have added much more than a 2nd/equivalent depth prospect...

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
NO WAY would I have done that trade. They basically gave up 2 first rounders (Krebs + pick ) and a solid player in Tuck for a player who will not be available for a long time and you "hope" he will be the same after surgery. Anderson with shoulder was one thing, but spine surgery... no thank you. Way too risky!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Krebs (1 assist in 13 games) is not very good. He might be an AHL star, but I don’t think he’ll even be a top-6 player. His best comparable in our team is Poehling lol.
Lol what? So I guess Caufield isnt very good because he has 1 point in 10 games this year. Dont even know why you are combining 2 seasons of point totals.

Krebs is 20 years old. Hes got 5 points in 2 AHL games this season. Hes already better than Poehling. His value is comparable to Caufield on our team.

Reactions: Vachon23

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I would've traded Caufield++ for Eichel.

Easy to say now, but what if he had scored, say, 5 goals in the first ten games?

I'm also in favour of trading a similar package as Vegas. But Caufield's upside is much higher than anyone Vegas moved. Whether that's realized or not is a different matter.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
No

caufield + 1st + Anderson
… and would have to shed more Cap …. Maybe toffoli?

No more winger depth, a weak D corps, and a new 5 year window.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada

wow wow wowww buddy calm down. Too much sense for a single message in the Habs board :laugh:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I thought Buffalo wanted the sun, the moon and a few stars but they settled for reality.

Interesting :popcorn:

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
No way. We’re not there as a team as last year we got lucky and now without price and Weber. Bergevin shouldn’t be making huge moves, he’s out next year anyway. New management incoming

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ask the question again in 2 years and if Eichel is 100% healthy, I bet you the answers change. Timing on HF boards is very interesting.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Yeah, I would have. But anyway Eichel is a rat, maybe it's better like this. We all love the fact he rooted for the Habs as a kid, but if you think about it it's pretty wack: it's like a kid from Montréal rooting for Boston or the Nordiques, it gives you an impression of the type of person he is because we all had a friend like this at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'll play along.

No.

I think we'd be weighted down with that contract for a player with too many health questions. It would have to be some absurd package for me to think it's a good deal, and would have to include dumping some of these awful contracts we currently have. Let someone else take the risk of Eichel.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Vegas is in a position to be able to trade away a high end prospect like Krebs whereas we are hoping that Caufield is a savior for us.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Who is the equivalent of Alex Tuch on the Habs? Only Nick Suzuki comes to mind. So the equivalent package would be Suzuki, Krebs equivalent is what? Caufield? Suzuki Caufield 1st + 2nd? I pass on that personally. Eichel seems ok but so does Suzuki. Better off with the devil you know.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The assets arent the issue, more the timing. I dont think Vegas gave up that much really provided Eichel will be healthy.

Mtl needs to rebuild. The entire blueline needs an overhaul. The winger depth is their but all streaky, kind of one dimensional players

Mtl isnt 1 player away, they are about 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad