Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
What is Columbus going to do with its cap room? We all know who is likely to go. Matt Duchene always keeps his options open. The Predators will have to do some surgery to make it work with him, and Montreal — which made a quiet pitch for him around the deadline — is also expected to make a play.

31 Thoughts: Intrigue around NHL Draft starting to take shape - Sportsnet.ca

I'm intrigued to know what Bergevin was willing to give up for Duchene and how serious he was to get him.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I really don't see the Habs going after Duchene.
Getting Duchene would push Domi, Danault and KK down the line up and I really dont see KK as a 4th line center.

The only reason they do it is if they push Domi on the Wing or KK on the wing.

Domi - Duchene - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Drouin - KK - Armia

or

Drouin - Duchene - Gally
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Danault - KK

Really unbalances everything.

If we sign Duchene, then a guy like Drouin has to go for a Top4 LD... no choice.

This seems more balanced:

Domi - Duchene - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Byron - Kotka - Armia
Lehky - Thompson - Weal

And if you prefer a one twp center line of Duchene and Domi then Danault will have to go. We can't have KK rotting on the fourth or start the same crap with KK on the wing as Habs did with Galchy.

I would prefer we trade for a really ood #1 RW and/or a Top 4 LD.

That way we have this:

Drouin - Domi - #1 RW
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Byron - KK - Shaw

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Can see some interest in Duchene but once the offers go over 5 years (if they do), that's where I'd lose interest.

He'll turn 29 during the season plus 5 years takes it to 34 where most forwards are in decline, even the guys that skate well.

Teams have been much more disciplined in free agency the last couple of years so we'll see if that continues this summer.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Duchene would be nice but E Karlsson would be exciting.
I don't understand this.

We absolutely do not need RD. Petry is doing a fine job, we need a good partner for him to solidify the 2nd pairing... what we need is high end scoring... Stone would have been perfect but f***ing Vegas got him...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't understand this.

We absolutely do not need RD. Petry is doing a fine job, we need a good partner for him to solidify the 2nd pairing... what we need is high end scoring... Stone would have been perfect but ****ing Vegas got him...
Who cares if we are deep at RD? You sign Karlsson who is better than any of our RD and trade Weber or Petry for other help.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't understand this.

We absolutely do not need RD. Petry is doing a fine job, we need a good partner for him to solidify the 2nd pairing... what we need is high end scoring... Stone would have been perfect but ****ing Vegas got him...

If we did sign Karlsson, Petry would be flipped for a LD of a similar skillset. Good RHD are hard to find so I’m sure we’d be able to find a team that would do a fair swap.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I don't understand this.

Petry has done an admirable job for us and he may be at his highest value right now. He’ll be an UFA after this upcoming season. Good trade bait. Eric Karlsson is an elite level defence man. So yeah you always want/need d like that.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Petry has done an admirable job for us and he may be at his highest value right now. He’ll be an UFA after this upcoming season. Good trade bait. Eric Karlsson is an elite level defence man. So yeah you always want/need d like that.

I'd trade Petry to sign Karlsson. Hell, we could still afford Duchene after that.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I’ll rank my targets for the Habs in order of who I think would help us the most. This is based on potential available players, through free agency or otherwise.

1. Panarin
2. Duchene
3. Offer sheet for Marner
4. Karlsson
5. Gardiner

I know.....one of these things is not like the other.

But I’d start at Panarin and work my way down.

Even if all we add is Gardiner (contract has to be fair) then we come out improved. We really need depth at left D

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I’ll rank my targets for the Habs in order of who I think would help us the most. This is based on potential available players, through free agency or otherwise.

1. Panarin
2. Duchene
3. Offer sheet for Marner
4. Karlsson
5. Gardiner

I know.....one of these things is not like the other.

But I’d start at Panarin and work my way down.

Even if all we add is Gardiner (contract has to be fair) then we come out improved. We really need depth at left D
In the playoffs..

Duchene > Panarin

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
People are misleaded by last year's global offensive performance. If we have the opportunity to add a top-line player, we absolutely should jump on the opportunity, no matter the position. There still isn't a single legit, PROVEN 1st line player on this team as far as I'm concerned.

I'd go as high as 8-9M on a multi-year deal for Duchene. I think we should look at the trade market to improve the LD position. Nothing on the UFA market really convinces me.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
People are misleaded by last year's global offensive performance. If we have the opportunity to add a top-line player, we absolutely should jump on the opportunity, no matter the position. There still isn't a single legit, PROVEN 1st line player on this team as far as I'm concerned.

I'd go as high as 8-9M on a multi-year deal for Duchene. I think we should look at the trade market to improve the LD position. Nothing on the UFA market really convinces me.
A guy with two straight 30 goals seasons and just turning 27 now is a first line winger.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyways I’m out on this, no one is going to convince me that rich anglo’s are going to chose a franco city with crappy weather, terrible construction and high taxes because of good transit, cafe’s and cheap tuition.

Said no one ever in respect of the uber rich that are NHL UFAs. Reductio ad absurdum.

Moving on.

Reactions: Guns n Roses
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad