Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Inclined to sign him too, as long as there is a reasonable chance of trading a forward for a defenseman. Ideally, the kind of deal similar to what Columbus did to get Seth Jones. Maybe a trade with the Ducks, whose forward corps is so depleted, for a Fowler.

Edit: like many, I view Domi as switchable to wing, even if he is a competent centerman. He can morph into a play-making winger in the Gaudreau or Marner mold, albeit a poor man's version of those two.

Last edited:

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
He's making me a believer. I was a hard no.

No...8 million for 4 years.... that's it, that's all...
If we signed him beyond that...in four or five years....we will talking about a way of getting rid of him...some, will be even blaming Bergevin for signing Duchene to an expensive lengthy contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I felt real good about signing him before, but a miracle run with columbus might change things..

Doubt it
Panarin is gone even if Columbus wins the cup. He just doesn't want to live in Columbus for the next 8 years.
Brobovski is most likely gone as well.

I can't see Duchene re-signing when Columbus would have lost their 2 best players

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If we signed him beyond that...in four or five years....we will talking about a way of getting rid of him...some, will be even blaming Bergevin for signing Duchene to an expensive lengthy contract.

Who cares?

If it brings one final appearance it would still be worth it. If it brings one Cup, i will pay it with a smile on my face .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Doubt it
Panarin is gone even if Columbus wins the cup. He just doesn't want to live in Columbus for the next 8 years.
Brobovski is most likely gone as well.

I can't see Duchene re-signing when Columbus would have lost their 2 best players

This is a good point.

And it just shows what a huge risk kekalainen was taking. I still don't know what he was thinking. If Columbus gets to the verge of greatness and Panarin, Bobrovsky and Duchene all walk because Panarin and Bobrovsky don't want to live in Columbus, it's a huge snub and let down to the city and the fans. he should have seen whether they'd sign this summer and if they wouldn't traded them for good pieces. Both had high value and could bring in good players.

Reactions: sbhatt

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Who cares?

If it brings one final appearance it would still be worth it. If it brings one Cup, i will pay it with a smile on my face .

You sign Duchene to a $56 million contact because of one good series.
That makes no sense.... I would sign Nathan MacKinnon for that term and money....Duchene ...4 years, 8 million per year.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You sign Duchene to a $56 million contact because of one good series.
That makes no sense.... I would sign Nathan MacKinnon for that term and money....Duchene ...4 years, 8 million per year.

It all starts with one thing : Does Duchene wants to play in MTL.

If It's yes, you sign him.
Those opportunities happens once every 10 years for this team to have a shot at a top ufa.

Where not in a position to be picky....every ufa get overpaid a little, part of the game.

MarkyD

Apr 16, 2019

Don't get me wrong, I would not sign Duchene for what he is about to sign. But you are completely out to lunch if you think you have any chance of signing him to a $32 million contract. Just say you don't want to sign him.

Reactions: Vachon23 and sbhatt

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I would not sign Duchene for what he is about to sign. But you are completely out to lunch if you think you have any chance of signing him to a $32 million contract. Just say you don't want to sign him.

Okay....who cares if he decides to sign elsewhere....move on!!!!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This is a good point.

And it just shows what a huge risk kekalainen was taking. I still don't know what he was thinking. If Columbus gets to the verge of greatness and Panarin, Bobrovsky and Duchene all walk because Panarin and Bobrovsky don't want to live in Columbus, it's a huge snub and let down to the city and the fans. he should have seen whether they'd sign this summer and if they wouldn't traded them for good pieces. Both had high value and could bring in good players.

The one card he could have is if the player and future team want 8 years, they could maybe do a sign and trade. I mean, doubtful this happens as you can just sacrifice one year to get them for free, but just throwing that out there.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
If Bergevin gave Duchene that type of contract.... most of you will be critical of the decision in a few years.... probably, calling for Bergevin to be fired.

I think most of us would be pissed if Bergevin is still the GM in a few years.

Jul 6, 2016
If Bergevin gave Duchene that type of contract.... most of you will be critical of the decision in a few years.... probably, calling for Bergevin to be fired.

That's not what we are doing every single day on this board ?:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad