Would you give Bernier a shot in goal?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No way. Not after the relief performance he put up the one time Gibson got pulled.

Gibson may not be playing his best (the conflating of how "bad" he is is getting pretty absurd) but with a series tie in the conference finals I don't want to roll the dice on him.

Bernier when he's playing well is better than Gibson is right now. Bernier when he's not playing well is a lot worse than Gibson is playing now. I wouldn't want to end up with the latter with the series tied.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While gibsons has had some iffy moments this post season, people seem to forget the moments when the games were on the line and he made ridiculous saves.

Ya ill roll with Gibson, our hopes and dreams are on his shoulders not bernier

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
They could but I don't see the reason to at the moment.

Comparing the two & the way that they played this season I'd go with Gibson 65/35% (60/40?) of the time. If the Bernier that played the way that he did when Gibson was hurt showed up, then hell yes give him a shot.

That said though, unless Gibson gets hurt again/has a complete meltdown, then no, stick with what they have going.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Bernier is not an upgrade over Gibson. If Gibson melts down, he can step in, but I wouldn't change the starter only two games into the conference finals.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I would agree with most here, that no you don't go with Bernier.

I see a different reason for not doing it though. I think Bernier at his best can be better than a couple of the performances Gibby put in. But...

Both goalies could give us a chance to win. If we lose with Gibson we lose, but there will be a feeling that our young core is building toward something.

If we lose with Bernier we still lose, and our goalie of the future will feel that the organization has no faith in him. That's a nightmare scenario.

Win or lose, if we do it with Bernier we alienate our goalie of the future.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Gibson has always been a bit overrated in my eyes but no I would not. Series is tied, no reason to shake up everything and **** off your #1 goalie for the next decade+

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
If Gibson loses the next two in a row in truly horrible fashion, maybe I'd consider it.

Otherwise, no. He's gotten the Ducks this far...might as well ride the wave all the way. To say he's inconsistent is a gross understatement, but he's the number one without a doubt.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
They should rent Andersen from Leafs. Gibson is a bum.

Oh, hi there, I was wondering when you'd dare to talk about Gibson again.

You know, after you have been busy to declare him a "fraud" or overrated every chance you got. Your projections of him having a sub-.908 SV% this season (when he ended up 4th in the league for goalies with 30+ games played at a .924 SV%...) or him being otherwise exposed were just slightly off mark (I'm sure that's all because the three missing games to your 55+ game benchmark, though). Freddie moved on, why can't you do the same thing as your favourite fellow Danish goalie, who gave up a number of soft goals in his shorter playoff stint? Then again, given your history, I suppose Ducks fans should be thrilled about every negative projection we can get from you.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I know you Leafs fans like to think a player (or coach) who doesn't do good in Toronto is always bad, but Bernier actually had a decent run this season when Gibson was injured. Without him the Ducks probably wouldn't have made the playoffs.

I don't know why you need to lump all leaf fans in together but also did you consider that we might have some more insight than you think? He was here longer than he's been with you guys.

Bernier also had "decent" runs in Toronto. He even had great runs.
That being said, he is so weak mentally and not consistent.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
They should try no goalie in the finals just to give the feeble eastern team that they play half a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad