Would you give Bernier a shot in goal?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I kinda feel that Gibson has been a little shaky at times this postseason- including tonight, he's given up at least 3 goals in a handful of games (Bailed out twice by Calgary and Edmonton collapsing in game 3 and game 5 of those respective series with seemingly safe leads).

He hasn't stolen a game the way Jake Allen or Fleury has at times. It seems at times he's been carried by the team ala Niemi 2010 (though even he stole a few games- Game 1 at San Jose, 2 shutouts vs. Nashville).

Among the few moments Gibson really impressed me at times so far was that first OT against Edmonton and for a few spurts in game 3 and 7.

I know they are winning, but would it be crazy if they gave Bernier a chance in game 3-4?

Last edited:

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
After getting pulled in game 6 vs the Oilers, he's looked solid enough. The thing with Gibson is that he needs to get rolling, and it sometimes takes a bit.

And it's not like Bernier has looked better. He came into that game 6, and still looked bad.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
he hasn't been bad enough to warrant being pulled although he hasn't exactly impressed

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Gibson honestly doesn't look like a cup winner, but that first goal bernier gave up was enough to keep gibby in net.

The real reason Gibson has given up lots of goals is because the ducks are bleeding high quality chances. Look at the goals today. A breakaway, a big odd man rush with no back support and a power play goal with a perfect screen that would have edm fans fuming.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I would have done it earlier. Like in the Calgary series I would have left Bernier in after G3. It's too late now IMO. Been too long without playing for Bernier to be at the level he was at to finish the season.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Gibson is our goalie for the future. Bernier is a goalie who will probably be gone and he is a goalie with little playoff experience. No reason to go to Bernier.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Gibson hasn't been the goalie we saw in the regular season but he's had some excellent performances (G7 vs EDM, for one). If Carlyle was going to bail on him, he would have done that by now

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Always roll with the goalie who isn't named Bernier. Gibson might be struggling, but Bernier is the route you go down to lose the series

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Always roll with the goalie who isn't named Bernier. Gibson might be struggling, but Bernier is the route you go down to lose the series

I know you Leafs fans like to think a player (or coach) who doesn't do good in Toronto is always bad, but Bernier actually had a decent run this season when Gibson was injured. Without him the Ducks probably wouldn't have made the playoffs.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I know you Leafs fans like to think a player (or coach) who doesn't do good in Toronto is always bad, but Bernier actually had a decent run this season when Gibson was injured. Without him the Ducks probably wouldn't have made the playoffs.

I don't know if you're implying he's never had good runs in Toronto before, but I know what he's capable of as a goalie. He's the type who lets in weak goals that can deflate a team. Now maybe Anaheim is better at rebounding from poor starts than the Leafs were, but it's really not what you want in the playoffs

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think so. And this has toooootally nothing to do with the fact that the Leafs need him to so that we can get the Ducks second round pick

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Only if you're willing to pull Bernier out again after he lets in that softie. He's capable of great play, but he really struggles to bounce back after anything negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad